Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lab x collie

• 19-06-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have rehomed a lab x collie pup. She is 2 months old. I'm just looking for some info on how much to feed her. It is hard to work out the charts on the tins as it goes by the weight of the dog when she becomes an adult. As she is a x its hard to figure out what her adult weight is going to be. I don't want to be under feeding her or over feeding her. I would be gratefull of any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Congratulations on your new pup :)

Personally I wouldn't feed tinned food, its made up of a lot of water and isn't the best you can give your dog. Find a good quality dry food, and get the puppy version for her, it should give you a good indication on the packet how much to feed. Lots of growing going on, so the pup needs a lot of food, I'd be feeding 4 times a day at that age, so whatever it recommends, break it down into the 4 meals, or 3 at the very least.

What was the person that you got her from feeding her on?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

ISDW wrote: »
    Congratulations on your new pup :)

Personally I wouldn't feed tinned food, its made up of a lot of water and isn't the best you can give your dog. Find a good quality dry food, and get the puppy version for her, it should give you a good indication on the packet how much to feed. Lots of growing going on, so the pup needs a lot of food, I'd be feeding 4 times a day at that age, so whatever it recommends, break it down into the 4 meals, or 3 at the very least.

What was the person that you got her from feeding her on?

Hi they were feeding her bits of everything I think. They were just giving her scraps and stuff which is the reason I took her as she wasn't been looked after. I have started her on the pouches of pedigree chum and I have been feeding her 4 times a day. On the pack the table goes by the adult weight and what to give her at 2 4 8 months until she is an adult. The problem I'm having is with her been a cross what weight will she be as an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Hi they were feeding her bits of everything I think. They were just giving her scraps and stuff which is the reason I took her as she wasn't been looked after. I have started her on the pouches of pedigree chum and I have been feeding her 4 times a day. On the pack the table goes by the adult weight and what to give her at 2 4 8 months until she is an adult. The problem I'm having is with her been a cross what weight will she be as an adult.

Pedigree chum has been described by many people as McDonalds for dogs ;)

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on how much of that stuff to feed her, as I wouldn't ever use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Congrats on new puppy and as with all new babies pictures are warranted. :-) How about slowly moving her to a better food such as James Welbeloved or Robbies. Loads of good brands. Our large bag of Robbies costs just under €60 and lasts 6 weeks between 2 dogs. I ran out a couple of months ago and it cost me nearly €10 to feed them both on pedigree chum for 2 days. So is cheaper in the long run. A good food should go on current weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please take her off the pouches/tins, thats awful stuff with little or no nutritional value in it all as its made up mostly of water and awful ingredients.

Go to your local pet shop and get a good quality dry complete, puppy food and go by the recommendations on the bag of how much to feed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement