Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank to go with

Options
  • 19-06-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Will be heading over to Sydney in a month or two providing all goes to plan with my 457 application. I'm just wondering what do ye think is the best bank to go with. I'd also like one which I can open from this side and have money in it for when I arrive.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i joined up with nab, no fees and a 5,25% introductury rate for your savings. you can sign up online send your money to your acount but you cannot withdraw it until you go into the specified bank and verify your identity with your passport they will have your cards and pins there ready for your collection and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i joined up with nab, no fees and a 5,25% introductury rate for your savings. you can sign up online send your money to your acount but you cannot withdraw it until you go into the specified bank and verify your identity with your passport they will have your cards and pins there ready for your collection and you are good to go.

cheers spongebob,

i'm trying to remember if you get charged when you withdraw money from other banks atm's. if this is the case can you tell me if nab atm's are plentiful throughout sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

memaul wrote: »

cheers spongebob,

i'm trying to remember if you get charged when you withdraw money from other banks atm's. if this is the case can you tell me if nab atm's are plentiful throughout sydney
    usually that's the case with the big ones. If you have a smart phone you can download an app and it can locate the nearest ATM.

But usually banks are all the same, they are virtually all the same in terms of rates, fees and options here.

cheers spongebob,

yeah they charge $2 or something if you use the competitions hole in the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I'm with NAB. No problems so far, eager to give loans etc.

They have a pretty good banking app if that sways you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some of the smaller banks have accounts where you can withdraw from any of the big four banks' ATMs and they will pick up the fees for you.

It's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

I share an apartment with a guy that works for ANZ.

He changed to have a Bankwest account.

He says as long as you deposit $2,000 a month you don't have any fees and can withdraw for free from all ATMS.

I'm with ANZ. Too lazy to change.

I share an apartment with a guy that works for ANZ.

He changed to have a Bankwest account.

He says as long as you deposit $2,000 a month you don't have any fees and can withdraw for free from all ATMS.

I'm with ANZ. Too lazy to change.

It's called a Hero/Zero Transaction account. The Zero version is the one that allows you to use any big four ATM and Bankwest picks up the fees.

Also, the $2000 deposit only needs to go in to the account, not sit there. Most people's pay will cover that amount anyway but if you find yourself running short you can transfer a few quid in then two minutes later transfer back out. Basically as long as total deposits equals $2000 over the month it's fine.

You can also afford to miss it for two consecutive months before breaching the terms of the account.

(Just for full disclosure, I work for them but don't intend to shill in any way, just providing the info as I know it like the back of my hand!)

thanks for all the replies. i'm thinking of going with anz as i was told that they have the most atm's by far. does anybody know what their charges would be like compared to nab.

thanks for all the replies. i'm thinking of going with anz as i was told that they have the most atm's by far. does anybody know what their charges would be like compared to nab.

i have an a/c with them also, it is $5 a month with unlimited transactions or $3 for a limited no of transactions (6 iirc)

• Advertisement

ANZ are a bastard for their little fees, I left them after two years of it. Plenty of accounts are fee free with other banks.

cheers all. i applied to open an account with anz before i seen your comment xavi. very quick and straight forward, only took 2 minutes. the only charge i seen was the $5 a month. what other charges are likely xavi?

Advertisement