Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Pet Lambs

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    Just a query about breeding pet lambs/ewe's. I bought 6 pet ewe lambs this January as I was unable to afford buying older ewe's and i thought it would be nice to hand rear them so we have a nice quiet flock, we only live on a small farm and they're just to bring in a little income. But i've recently heard that pet ewe's won't go in lamb? I really am hoping this isn't the case as of course everyone has become really attached to them and they all have their own names! Selling them off for meat would just be awful, I know i sound a bit pathetic! :o Does anyone have any info about breeding them?
    Any info greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

no bother getting them in lamb... jsut make sure u don't have to fat... ie give them to much milk/meal... let them grow etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foyle

They will have no problems having lambs at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

kathryn 95 wrote: »
    But i've recently heard that pet ewe's won't go in lamb?

You've been told nonsense, pay no heed to it.

Make sure you vaccinate them, I use Heptevac-P Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

are pet lambs hard to get in jannuarry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I had a pet lamb. I kept her back when the rest of the flock was sold off. She lived with the calves and once they were grown up as long as I had a white head animal she was happy. Anyway, I never did anything about bringing her to a ram but she had twin lambs every year for the rest of her life (and she had a very long life for a sheep, approx 12 years!). She went for a little walk every year, found herself a ram and when the deed was done she trundled back home to her favourite white head cow and produced her twins in due course! Having them as pets does not do anything to their basic biology. They will cycle same as any other ewe. All they need is a ram!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

would there be pet lambs for sale in jannuarry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

tommy5678 wrote: »
    would there be pet lambs for sale in jannuarry

Yep the early lambert will start from jan. Keep an eye on done deal, it would be easier to get them during the main mid season lambing season which is about march.

Advertisement