Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2nd Irish Cloud Festival!

• 19-06-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

After the success of the 1st Irish Cloud Festival in Skibbereen Co. Cork in 2011, the clouds come to the North West!
    The festival is taking place in Sligo/Leitrim, with events happening in various locations, showing off the beautiful festival arena. With the iconic Ben Bulben Mountain overseeing proceedings, it promises to be the ideal setting for this years festival. Here is the programme so far! More details later.

The 2nd Irish Cloud Festival Programme

Friday 27th July
    8pm Social Gathering of Cloudistas with "The Blowins in the Wind" - live music - in Barry's music venue, Grange, County Sligo

Saturday 28th July
    10am Registration Mullaghmore
    10.30am Free Cloud Spotting Walk around Mullaghmore Head
    12noon Lunch in the Organic Centre, Rossinver (€10)
    2-7pm Talks featuring Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society and Gerry Murphy from Met Eireann (more speakers to be confirmed). (€30)
    Workshops - Felting, making a weather station, poetry, and more
    8.30pm Cloud Festival Dinner in The Courthouse Restaurant, Kinlough featuring Piero Melis, bookings through the restaurant only. (Phone 071-984 2391 or email thecourthouserest@eircom.net)

Sunday 29th July
    10am Cloudspotting from Ben Bulben with guied tour (€5), meeting point at The Benwiskin Centre, Ballintrillick.
    Alternatively: Walk around the Horse Shoe.
    4pm Aftermath in Mullaghmore "Get your Cloud Potion!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The Cloud Festival committee is working flat out to bring you a wonderful festival this year. I will pop in with updates as they happen so that you know the latest news!

The latest Breaking News: Eamonn Bonner, the award winning poet from Donegal has confirmed that he will be our poet in residence for the workshop....

Sharpen your pencils and start working out what might rhyme with Cumulonimbus!! ;)

TICKETS TICKETS GET YOUR TICKETS!!!

You can avail of the early bird offer until the 10th July :D

http://www.ticas.ie/2011-cloud-festival-in-skibbereen.html

Tickets available through the above webite. There will also be free events. The full programme will be posted soon.

Ireland’s Second International Cloud Festival
    July 27th-29th 2012 Sligo/Leitrim

Programme for Cloud Festival

Friday 27th July from 8pm:
    Social Gathering of Cloudistas with “The Blowins
    in the Wind”- live music- in Barry’s music venue
    Grange, Co.Sligo.

Saturday 28th July:
    10am: Registration in the Old Schoolhouse in Mullaghmore, Co.Sligo

10.30 am: Free Cloud Spotting Walk around Mullaghmore Head

12 noon: depart to The Organic Centre, Rossinver

1-2pm: Lunch at The Organic Centre (€10)

2-4pm: Kite Making Workshop (Open to Public and Ticket holders, booking essential as materials are provided, please book in advance by phoning 071 98
    54 338 before the 19th July to avoid disappointment.)

The 2nd International Cloud Festival seems the ideal place to run a kite making workshop agrees Gabrielle Henry, who will guide a children’s workshop on basic kite making. Materials will be provided and Gabrielle recommends that children
    under eight have an adult to assist them with some of the trickier bits.

Conference and Workshops at The Organic Centre, Rossinver, Co. Leitrim
    Ticket holders only! Workshops 2-3pm

Poetry
    Award winning poet, Eamonn Bonner who hails from Burtonport, Co. Donegal is our genial host for our cloud poetry workshop. Come along and bring your inspiration. Poems completed on the day may be selected for publishing on The Irish Cloud Appreciation Society website with the Author’s permission.

The Home Weather Station
    The ‘Irish Weather Network’ founder Karl Mehlhorn will be your guide to the home weather station. Whether you are an absolute beginner or own your
    own station, Karl will guide you through the joys of recording the weather in your own back garden. He will also explain how Cloudistas, who dabble in forecasting, can link up with other amateur and professional forecasters around Ireland via the web.

Paint your weather! - Crazy cloud drawing / painting workshop
    Move on from taking pictures and take paper and assorted pencils and get
    inspired to draw your favourite cloudscape with artists Diane Roemer and Ute Schönerstedt. Try Diane’s self-made ink! Exhibition guaranteed!

Cloud Bowls Felting workshop
    Come and spend an hour or so creating you very own felted “Cloud Bowl “ with artist Heidi Wickham. No experience needed and all materials provided. Heidi has been teaching this ancient craft for many years and will share the secrets of felting with you, incorporating the beauty of clouds, for this very special weekend gathering.

Talks (MC Joe McGowan)
    3.30 Introduction by Hans Wieland co-founder of The Irish Cloud Appreciation Society (TICAS)
    3.40 “Herbs for Cloudspotters” by Gaby Wieland, Naturopath and Herbalist
    4.00 “Cloudspotting for beginners” by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society
    5.00 “Managing the Message – The Communication of Weather Forecasts” by Gerry Murphy, Weather Forecaster, Met Eireann
    8.30pm: Official Cloud Festival Dinner in The Courthouse in Kinlough featuring Piero Melis, bookings through the restaurant only. Places limited! 071-9842391, e-mail: thecourthouserest@eircom.net

Harrison’s Bar and Restaurant in Cliffoney offers a
    special cloud festival menu. 071-9166123

Sunday 29th July
    10am: Cloud Spotting from Benbulben with guided tour (€5), meeting point at The Benwiskin Centre Ballintrillick. Alternatively: Walk around the
    Horse Shoe.

4pm: Aftermath in Mullaghmore. “Get your Cloud Potion!” Meet at the Old Schoolhouse.

BOOKING
    Tickets from the website www.ticas.ie
    €40pp (Lunch, conference, Benbulben walk),
    €30pp (conference, Benbulben walk)

Please note:
    Transport between venues by private car only.
    The following travel times are a guideline:
    Mullaghmore – The Organic Centre, Rossinver 35min The
    Organic Centre Rossinver – Kinlough 15 min
    Mullaghmore – Ballintrillick 8min
    Bundoran – Mullaghmore 15 min
    Sligo – Cliffony 20 min
    Manorhamilton – Mullaghmore 25min
    Accommodation list available, please make your own
    bookings.
    For updates and bookings:
    www.ticas.ie
    Join us on facebook

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Meant to ask, how many people showed up last year?

I think about 60 turned up for the conference..
    Not sure exactly but I would estimate about that.

• Advertisement

I just wanted to thank MT for posting some cloud pics in his daily forecast as a nice little nod to the up coming Cloud Festival.

Don't forget to book your children into our Kite making workshop!
    Tel: 071 9854338

Lets go fly a kite! (and check out a few clouds while we are at it!)

I was wondering if anyone here might be heading to the Cloud festival?
    We could have our very own Boardsies Cloud gathering, there is music on in Grange in Barry's Pub on the Friday night so that might be fun!
    PM me if you think that might be a runner and I'll try organise a meeting spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

eskimocat wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone here might be heading to the Cloud festival?
    We could have our very own Boardsies Cloud gathering, there is music on in Grange in Barry's Pub on the Friday night so that might be fun!
    PM me if you think that might be a runner and I'll try organise a meeting spot!

I had planned to go but its looking like I'll be in Dublin that weekend. If that changes though I'll be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

For what it is worth, today saw a fairly common cloud type over Ireland today, yet also one of the hardest to pronounce, that is: 'stratocumulus cumulogenitus'. I actually get out of breath when I attempt to say that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

For what it is worth, today saw a fairly common cloud type over Ireland today, yet also one of the hardest to pronounce, that is: 'stratocumulus cumulogenitus'. I actually get out of breath when I attempt to say that. :D

Pics or gtfo:D

• Advertisement

LOL I might borrow that one for the poetry workshop with Eamonn Bonner... I had been teasing people to think of something to rhyme with Cumulonimbus but Stratocumulus Cumulogenitus might be even better ...

Perhaps we could work together to come up with a few lines as practice for next weekend..... Any poets among us????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Great clouds over Letterkenny this evening. Even a KH layer.
    7617368114_00fe3be2b6_z.jpg

Okay folks....last post until Friday.. as this little Cloudista is going to be off line busy creating clouds for the festival for the rest of the week...

Please come along, we would be delighted to have you and you never know what you will learn along the way.

(p.s could someone please give this a little bump if it falls off the first page... only a few days to go! thanks )

Keep on looking up !

OOPS! might have generated a bit too much cloud and its a bit crowded up there... hopefully they will disperse (and make shapes) a little before tomorrow for the cloud spotting walk around Mullaghmore head.

I just wanted to say safe journey to anyone travelling for the Cloud Festival (or anywhere else for that matter) this weekend. Stay Safe :)

Well just about recovered from the Festival this weekend :D Thankfully everyone seemed to find something to enjoy from the variety of events. The clouds performed a wide range of their best moves.... including Stratus!(the brat!)

The guest speakers were very popular, Gavin Pretor-Pinney on Clouds and Gerry Murphy on Communicating the Weather and Gaby Wieland on Herbs for Cloud spotters. And from the workshops we had several budding poets, beautiful felt cloud bowls and wonderful paintings of all sorts of clouds.

Good food and good company. A lovely weekend.

Thanks to the weather forum mods for allowing me to post about the Festival and to the boardsies for your interest.

Until next year...Keep looking up :)

Advertisement