Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubliner kills two kids and walks free

Comments

prinz wrote: »
    Good for you. So you overtook on a junction, hit a car, mounted a path and killed two kids?

No. My kids were the ones killed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'm sorry for your loss, honestly, but I don't get your point. So you didn't want the driver prosecuted in your case? That's you. The father of the two Hungarian kids obviously feels differently and I can't say as I blame him, nobody has been held accountable for their deaths, not forgetting of course that the grandmother of the dead children was also injured...but hey, shít happens, they'll get over it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The father of the two Hungarian kids obviously feels differently and I can't say as I blame him, nobody has been held accountable for their deaths, not forgetting of course that the grandmother of the dead children was also injured...but hey, shít happens, they'll get over it I suppose.

No one is saying he should not be held accountable. It was an accident he did not set out to kill two children.
    I would find it hard to forgive and forget if it were my kids and I think majority of people would want justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Good for you. So you overtook on a junction, hit a car, mounted a path and killed two kids?

Like the cheeky wink there.

You do know that it's illegal to overtake at a junction for the very reasons you mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Stark wrote: »

You do know that it's illegal to overtake at a junction for the very reasons you mentioned?

My interpretation would be that whoopsadaisydoodles wasn't the one doing the overtaking ...

• Advertisement

I'm sorry for your loss, honestly, but I don't get your point. So you didn't want the driver prosecuted in your case? That's you. The father of the two Hungarian kids obviously feels differently and I can't say as I blame him, nobody has been held accountable for their deaths, not forgetting of course that the grandmother of the dead children was also injured...but hey, shít happens, they'll get over it I suppose.

Actually that's not my point at all in relation to your posts. My point was actually referring to your suggestion that they would have been treated differently if it was Irish kids killed by a Hungarian. I asked what if it was Irish kids by an Irish driver and you refused to answer, pushing out the question to the point that you said my example was outlandish.

I've been there, I know that people saying "if they were Irish kids" are wrong. Noone called for a prosecution when it happened to me. And it wasn't some Celtic tiger rich man who could afford a good lawyer. It was a truck driver. So the claims that there would be uproar if he had done it here are, IMO at least, wrong.

Stark wrote: »

No? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

http://www.austriantimes.at/?id=25574 I wonder really, wouldn't have been easier for him just to man up to it and do that three years in jail? In that way the families could have carried on with the knowledge that nothing more they could have done, which is not the case now, because the perpetrator is free.

instead he will be automatically arrested if ever he goes to Hungary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

hondasam wrote: »
    I would find it hard to forgive and forget if it were my kids and I think majority of people would want justice.

It's ironic, because most people would consider it a form of injustice if they were the accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeWesterner

Fuinseog wrote: »
    instead he will be automatically arrested if ever he goes to Hungary.

Unfortunately, he can avoid that easily.... I think the Hungarians really trusted the Irish. They thought that as soon as this guy arrives in Ireland he will be put in jail, just like he would have been in Hungary, and the case would have been closed. The problem for the Hungarians must have started when they realised that the guy is living the life of Riley, got nothing, he eats and sits with his family at home, while the Hungarian family's two kids are underground. And no apology, regret or anything expressed. Must be hard to live with himself though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Unfortunately, he can avoid that easily.... I think the Hungarians really trusted the Irish. They thought that as soon as this guy arrives in Ireland he will be put in jail, just like he would have been in Hungary, and the case would have been closed. The problem for the Hungarians must have started when they realised that the guy is living the life of Riley, got nothing, he eats and sits with his family at home, while the Hungarian family's two kids are underground. And no apology, regret or anything expressed. Must be hard to live with himself though....

TO be fair he did offer to see out the sentence here. So some regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeWesterner

Fair enough. Pity about the Irish Justice (sorry, Legal) system though....But, isn't this whole thread about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

From the following site VOLVO S40 2000 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Jan 14, 2009.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with STEERING . CUSTOMERS CAR BROKE DOWN, LOST STEERING CONTROL, INNER AND OUTER TIE-ROD END CAME APART AT THREADS, NO APARENT DAMAGE TO PARTS, REPLACED BOTH PARTS, SAVED OLD PARTS. *TR.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 103000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):YV1VS255XYF. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in NEWBEDFORD, MA. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 30 mph.

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Feb 13, 2007.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL . TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2000 VOLVO S40. WHILE DRIVING UNDER WET CONDITIONS AT 25 MPH THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO ACCELERATE. THE DRIVER WAS ABLE TO STOP THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER, THE ENGINE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE. WITHOUT ACCELERATING THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO MOVE FORWARD. IN AN ATTEMPT TO PARK THE VEHICLE, THE ENGINE BEGAN TO REDLINE AND THE DRIVER TURNED THE IGNITION OFF. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER TO DIAGNOSE THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 73,000. *AK.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 73000 miles. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in RACINE, WI. Vehicle was purchased on 20040618. Vehicle was using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES.Vehicle was using Cruise Control.Vehicle had 4 CYLINDERS. VOLVO S40 2000 drive type:FWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Turbo. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VOLVO S40 2000 TRANSMISSION TYPE: AUTO. VEHICLE SPEED: 25 mph. DEALER'S NAME: EURO MOTOR

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Nov 15, 2005.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL . THREE TIMES MY DAUGHTER'S 2000 VOLVO S40 ACCELERATED UNEXPECTEDLY. TWICE (ON THE SAME NIGHT) IT ALMOST PULLED HER INTO A BUSY INTERSECTION. THE THIRD TIME IT HAPPENED TO THE SERVICE MANGER (JEFF) AT A LOCAL VOLVO DEALERSHIP. AFTER TWO VISITS FROM A TECHNICIAN FROM VOLVO IT WAS DETERMINED THAT A TEMPERATURE SENSOR HAD FAILED. THIS FAILURE LED TO EXCESS AIR BEING FED TO THE ENGINE WHICH IN TURN LED TO EXCESS FUEL BEING FED TO THE ENGINE, WHICH IN TURN ACCELERATED THE ENGINE. VOLVO REPLACED A TEMPERATURE CONTROL SENSOR THAT OPERATES THE AIR SLIDE IN THE ENGINE ON 12/7/05. *NM.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 60000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):YV1VS2558YF. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in DIX HILLS, NY. Vehicle was using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES.Vehicle was using Cruise Control.Vehicle had 4 CYLINDERS. VOLVO S40 2000 drive type:FWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Fuel injection. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VOLVO S40 2000 TRANSMISSION TYPE: AUTO. VEHICLE SPEED: 30 mph. DEALER'S NAME: KARP VOLVO . DEALER'S TELEPHONE NUMBER: 516-764-4242 . DEALER'S CITY: ROCKVILLE CENTER . DEALER'S STATE CODE: NY. DEALER'S ZIPCODE: 11570 .

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Sept 24, 2003.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC . 2000 VOLVO S40 WOULD NOT STOP WHEN APPLIED PRESSURE TO BRAKES. *TS THE CONSUMER FELT THAT SHE HAVE PLENTY OF DISTANCE BETWEEN HER VEHICLE AND THE OTHER VEHICLE TO STOP BUT THE VEHICLE JUST WOULDN'T STOP. AS A RESULT THE CONSUMER'S VEHICLE CRASHED INTO THE OTHER VEHICLE. SIX MONTHS AFTER THE ACCIDENT THE CONSUMER RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE ON THE BRAKE PUMP WHICH DESCRIBED THE FAILURE THE CONSUMER EXPERIENCED. THE CONSUMER REQUEST REIMBURSEMENT FOR ALL EXPENSES INCURRED. *NM.Vehicle was involved in a crash. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in SAINT CLAIR SHORES, MI. Accident was reported to Police. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control.

From what I can see on that site, this model from 2000 suffered reported problems, unexplained accelerating, a know brake failure problem, and an unexplained steering issue where steering failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ResearchWill, I'm sure that post will pale into insignificance when the shadow of moral superiority & personal vendetta is cast over it. ;)
    Why let the truth get in the way of some honest-to-god outrage?

the media here and the court placed more an emphasis on his suffering.

yet knowing it would never carried out in this country.

the media here and the court placed more an emphasis on his suffering.
    fancy that: the Irish media having a focus on the Irish person who was in a horrific accident resulting in two children dieing...

...nevermind that b0llix Zulu: VENDETTA!!!!

From the following site VOLVO S40 2000 Safety and Reliability Reviews By Consumers

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Jan 14, 2009.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with STEERING . CUSTOMERS CAR BROKE DOWN, LOST STEERING CONTROL, INNER AND OUTER TIE-ROD END CAME APART AT THREADS, NO APARENT DAMAGE TO PARTS, REPLACED BOTH PARTS, SAVED OLD PARTS. *TR.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 103000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):YV1VS255XYF. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in NEWBEDFORD, MA. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 30 mph.

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Feb 13, 2007.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL . TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2000 VOLVO S40. WHILE DRIVING UNDER WET CONDITIONS AT 25 MPH THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO ACCELERATE. THE DRIVER WAS ABLE TO STOP THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER, THE ENGINE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE. WITHOUT ACCELERATING THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO MOVE FORWARD. IN AN ATTEMPT TO PARK THE VEHICLE, THE ENGINE BEGAN TO REDLINE AND THE DRIVER TURNED THE IGNITION OFF. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER TO DIAGNOSE THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 73,000. *AK.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 73000 miles. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in RACINE, WI. Vehicle was purchased on 20040618. Vehicle was using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES.Vehicle was using Cruise Control.Vehicle had 4 CYLINDERS. VOLVO S40 2000 drive type:FWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Turbo. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VOLVO S40 2000 TRANSMISSION TYPE: AUTO. VEHICLE SPEED: 25 mph. DEALER'S NAME: EURO MOTOR

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Nov 15, 2005.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL . THREE TIMES MY DAUGHTER'S 2000 VOLVO S40 ACCELERATED UNEXPECTEDLY. TWICE (ON THE SAME NIGHT) IT ALMOST PULLED HER INTO A BUSY INTERSECTION. THE THIRD TIME IT HAPPENED TO THE SERVICE MANGER (JEFF) AT A LOCAL VOLVO DEALERSHIP. AFTER TWO VISITS FROM A TECHNICIAN FROM VOLVO IT WAS DETERMINED THAT A TEMPERATURE SENSOR HAD FAILED. THIS FAILURE LED TO EXCESS AIR BEING FED TO THE ENGINE WHICH IN TURN LED TO EXCESS FUEL BEING FED TO THE ENGINE, WHICH IN TURN ACCELERATED THE ENGINE. VOLVO REPLACED A TEMPERATURE CONTROL SENSOR THAT OPERATES THE AIR SLIDE IN THE ENGINE ON 12/7/05. *NM.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 60000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):YV1VS2558YF. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in DIX HILLS, NY. Vehicle was using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES.Vehicle was using Cruise Control.Vehicle had 4 CYLINDERS. VOLVO S40 2000 drive type:FWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Fuel injection. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VOLVO S40 2000 TRANSMISSION TYPE: AUTO. VEHICLE SPEED: 30 mph. DEALER'S NAME: KARP VOLVO . DEALER'S TELEPHONE NUMBER: 516-764-4242 . DEALER'S CITY: ROCKVILLE CENTER . DEALER'S STATE CODE: NY. DEALER'S ZIPCODE: 11570 .

And

VOLVO S40 2000 car safety problem was reported on Sept 24, 2003.VOLVO S40 2000, manufactured by VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. had a problem with SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC . 2000 VOLVO S40 WOULD NOT STOP WHEN APPLIED PRESSURE TO BRAKES. *TS THE CONSUMER FELT THAT SHE HAVE PLENTY OF DISTANCE BETWEEN HER VEHICLE AND THE OTHER VEHICLE TO STOP BUT THE VEHICLE JUST WOULDN'T STOP. AS A RESULT THE CONSUMER'S VEHICLE CRASHED INTO THE OTHER VEHICLE. SIX MONTHS AFTER THE ACCIDENT THE CONSUMER RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE ON THE BRAKE PUMP WHICH DESCRIBED THE FAILURE THE CONSUMER EXPERIENCED. THE CONSUMER REQUEST REIMBURSEMENT FOR ALL EXPENSES INCURRED. *NM.Vehicle was involved in a crash. VOLVO S40 2000 problem was reported in SAINT CLAIR SHORES, MI. Accident was reported to Police. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control.

From what I can see on that site, this model from 2000 suffered reported problems, unexplained accelerating, a know brake failure problem, and an unexplained steering issue where steering failed.

nice to see he has some support. i like the bit about unexplained acceleration. If ever I get a speeding ticket I will blame the car.

nice to see he has some support. i like the bit about unexplained acceleration. If ever I get a speeding ticket I will blame the car.
    Zulu wrote: »
    ResearchWill, I'm sure that post will pale into insignificance when the shadow of moral superiority & personal vendetta is cast over it. ;)
    Why let the truth get in the way of some honest-to-god outrage?

LOL, what did I tell you. :D

fancy that: the Irish media having a focus on the Irish person who was in a horrific accident resulting in two children dieing...

...nevermind that b0llix Zulu: VENDETTA!!!!

there you go again. You have yet to give a reason why you think I have a vendetta. maybe you know this guy yourself and are willing to support him no matter what?

while many in this country are either disinterested in this case or would rather forget it, this case will resurface and more than likely the Irish taxpayer will have to foot the bill.

• Advertisement

If you read through the page I linked to you will see multiple reports of the same make, model and year having the same problems stated to have happened by the accused, he stated what he did in his original statement to the police, as did his 3 adult passengers.

I suppose people won't even look at an explanation as long as we get to blame somebody.

there you go again. You have yet to give a reason why you think I have a vendetta. maybe you know this guy yourself and are willing to support him no matter what?

while many in this country are either disinterested in this case or would rather forget it, this case will resurface and more than likely the Irish taxpayer will have to foot the bill.

Maybe Zulu is interested and like myself, prefers to look into something before condemning a person.

If you read through the page I linked to you will see multiple reports of the same make, model and year having the same problems stated to have happened by the accused, he stated what he did in his original statement to the police, as did his 3 adult passengers.

I suppose people won't even look at an explanation as long as we get to blame somebody.

so, what are you saying he drove a car with his family that he knew was unsafe?

maybe you know this guy yourself and are willing to support him no matter what?
    No, I'm just reserving pitchfork judgment with knowing all the facts, & I'm mindful that the facts that have come to light support the notion of a tragic accident.

You on the other hand appear to disregard any facts that don't support your callous thirst for his pound of flesh, with feckless abandon. Generally speaking, fanatical people like yourself are an excellent compass for indicating the "wrong way".

but no matter, VENDETTA!

LOL. Yea, thats how it works. :rolleyes:

Oh sweet Jesus.
    There's really no point.

He brought the car on two occasions to be checked and was told it was safe to drive.

Jeeze.

Oh sweet Jesus.
    There's really no point.

He brought the car on two occasions to be checked and was told it was safe to drive.

Jeeze.
    I really wish you'd stop it with that pesky truth - you're wrecking everything. :p

No, the car was new, and he had been told by garage it was in perfect condition when he brought it in re ABS light.

This model was brand new in 2000, later Volvo did a recall due to an identified defect in the braking system. If you see the page I posted the majority of a hundred plus postings are about the brakes. There are also posting of issues with steering failure and the car suddenly accelerating.

If you don't believe me check on google re the recall of the model for the braking problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I really feel for ResearchWill here, he has put forth a well rounded and well researched argument and all you get back is "Wont somebody think of the children". The JUSTICE system is based on law and fact not emotions or a moral compass and it has found no case for the man to answer.

It was a tragic accident with a tragic outcome and nothing will atone for the loss of the children but ultimately it is something that could not have been prevented.

• Advertisement

I really wish you'd stop it with that pesky truth - you're wrecking everything. :p

I know I know, it's a fault of mine, but why let the truth get in the way of someone's right to a bit of bile and indignation over another human being.

Advertisement