Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bought a written off car

• 19-06-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I bought a written off car. The seller never told me about it. What can I do now?

" If you sell a vehicle that was written off and you did not disclose it to the new owner, then you are liable and may be prosecuted for disception."-cartell.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

For a prosecution for deception, you have to prove that the seller knew it was written off. Since you've referenced Cartell, did you do a vehicle check before you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 byniol

No i didnt do cartell check before. If i did I wouldnt need help. I only checked with gards if it was stolen , cloned etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Who'd you buy it from? Dealer, auction or personal?

If a dealer: See Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980; note that the car must be for personal and not business purposes. You will likely require a solicitor at this stage.
    If at auction: You likely have no recourse. 99% of the time the act of bidding at these car auctions signifies that you accept the Terms & Conditions.
    If personal: Again, little to no recourse here. Sellers are obliged to answer truthfully any questions you ask of them but are not obliged to disclose all information without prior request. Sneaky but... that's the way it goes. If the car is not roadworthy, though, there is some part of the Road Traffic legislation that deals with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

byniol wrote: »
    I bought a written off car. The seller never told me about it. What can I do now?

" If you sell a vehicle that was written off and you did not disclose it to the new owner, then you are liable and may be prosecuted for disception."-cartell.ie

Do you know what category of write off it is? Some are for unsafe unroadworthy cars and some are just for an uneconomic repair. The difference being that some categories allow for the car to be insured and driven so while the car you bought may not be worth what you paid you may still be able to tax insure and drive it.
    It might be worth getting an independant engineers report on it.

Eta: Cat A & B are for structural damage not to be put back on the road and C & D uneconomic repairs.

Bought from a private person. Im still waiting for the report that will say what category of write off is it. The car is working perfect so far and it got fresh NCT till 07/2014 , I checked it and its real. Problem is that i paid for it 4000 and as a write off its worth only 2000. So ill be happy if i could get at least half of the money back and keep the car, or the full amount and return the car. Of course the guys phone is not working any more .

• Advertisement

Jaysus OP, you're very unlucky with cars!!!!

Last week you bought a stolen car that was subsequently seized by the gardai,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79152622

And now you're after buying a write off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

This guy is clearly an attention seeker

Call me stupid but its all true. And belive me i checked it before i bought this one. I got the guy picture name, address etc. I checked on MyWheels and garda station (NCT, Chassis number, Reg.Cert) , shoudve checked cartell. Its unreal. Ill never buy a car from a private user again

Wha lt did the guards tell you?

that its all good

• Advertisement

I got scammed by this guy [SNIP}, the phone is not answering any more, checked his house and a lady living next door told me they moved out over night ,landlord doesnt know about it, they left 1 car behind tho
    they also have a white van with website address on it
    let me know if anybody seen them in Dublin and around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I got scammed by this guy dublincarvalet.ie , the phone is not answering any more, checked his house and a lady living next door told me they moved out over night ,landlord doesnt know about it, they left 1 car behind tho

Order a valet off them, then confront them when they show up

You cant cause the phone is not working any more, they dont answer emails either

only phone that is answering is the bottom one from the web desiner, he knows them but wont give me or anybody any contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I got scammed by this guy [SNIP}, the phone is not answering any more, checked his house and a lady living next door told me they moved out over night ,landlord doesnt know about it, they left 1 car behind tho
    Did you tell the Gardaí about any of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The Gardai should be able to access the insurance database to find details on these scammers when they change address. They likely buy write offs in category c&d, which you can still nct and tax, but cannot insure until you get an engineers report to declare it safe for road use. That usually costs circa €200.

So gards told me there is nothing they can do because its not criminal case and they cant get involved. I went to a solicitor and was told that chances to win enything are very slim. Buyer beware. Only thing i can do is to sell it to someone else hoping that person wont find out either.

I know the guy is on holidays now so will try to confront him when he is back.

I also found out that it is category D write off and didnt have any problems to insurre it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Whats the latest OP, did you get your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

The original thread poster inquired about where you could buy a car that is damaged/ stolen or recovered buy an insurance company...... and boy oh boy guess what he bought a write off and a stolen car the following week by mistake.... hmmmmmmmm i smell something fishy too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79152351
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79153185

Advertisement