Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Shift Length?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hi all, had a skim of the first few pages and didn't spot anything about this, mods please move if necessary.

So my part time job has gradually tumbled from a once 48 hour week a few years back to a not-so-whopping 6.5 hour week. 2.5 of those hours are on Sunday at time and one third, the other 4 during the week sometime.

I'm curious to know if there's a minimum shift length that you must receive? I'm going spare telling my employers that apart from the few hours on Sunday, i make the same money if i stay in bed on the dole! I break even for working the 4 hour shift (and i prefer to be working than twiddling my thumbs on the dole, but they've already cut one of my colleagues to a 4 hour week (two 2 hour shifts - he looses money for coming in for them and is trying to figure out his options, needless to say his notice is written and ready to be handed in), but judging by what has already happened my colleague, if this happens to myself do i have any comeback for them? Again, i would prefer to be working, and any hours are better than none, but if it hits the point where i'm loosing money by turning up for my job, then i think that's my limit.

They'll remain nameless, but my employers are a well know company who in the past haven't been afraid of bending the rules in their favour until someone pulls them up on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What does your contract state as minimum hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Nody wrote: »
    What does your contract state as minimum hours?

It's not minimum hours i'm concerned about (which is 4), it's the minimum shift length. Considering i had a good look around and found absolutely nothing about it, i doubt there is any kind of statutory minimum shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, there's no such thing as a minimum specific shift length.

However, if the length of a shift is being continually reduced to farcical lengths (less than 2 hours IMO) such that it's barely worth the cost of commuting, then there would be a fair argument for constructive dismissal after you've handed your notice in.

It's only an avenue you can explore after you've left though. There's nothing you can do right now to have your employer increase your **** lengths.

Would it be possible to call an informal meeting with other employees so that you do the same number of hours, but move the shifts around? If you can present such a move to your employer, they might be willing to take it.

In your example, if you changed the shifts around so that everyone did a 7 hour weekday shift one week, then a 5.5 hour Sunday shift the next, your income would be the same, but everyone would only have to work one day a week. It would result in no cost to your employer, and less hassle for them because the staff on any given day don't constantly change.

Advertisement