Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oatmeal Stout partial mash.

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Decided I'd like to try a partial mash before splashing out on a mash tun and going full grain. I've put the following recipe together in beer smith for an oatmeal stout.

Let me know what you think.

Grains (crushed):
    1.40kg Maris Otter
    0.25kg Crystal Malt 145EBC
    0.25kg Chocolate Malt 1060 EBC
    0.45kg Flahavan Oats
    0.05kg Williamette pellets (60min boil)
    1pk WLP004

Extract:
    2.0kg Light Spraymalt

I'm going to be using a 12L stockpot for mashing and my 30L elec boiler. Going from what I've read the process is pretty much:
    • Mash the grains at around 67C in a muslin bag in around 6L of water. Leave it for an hour in a cooling oven around the same temp
    • Recirculate the wort through the mash a couple of times and then pour into the boiler
    • Sparge the mash with heated water until it runs clear or the boil volume is reached
    • Top up the boiler to around 21.5L with cold water
    • Bring to a boil and add half the DME and the hops
    • 40mins in add the rest of the DME
    • Kill the heat at 60mins
    • Proceed as normal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I did a similar recipe a while back, heres a thread about it, might be something useful in there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73981697

The only partial mash brews I did was this and a slight variation and one got seriously infected, the other less so, but neither where very good. This was due to bad sanitation. I found partial mash a little fiddley and went and got myself a mash tun and find all-grain easier.

Watch your mash/sparge and top up volumes, have them well worked out in advance its easy to end up with the incorrect volume wort. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Thing I may actually take the time to go all-grain this time around.
    The savings from not having to buy spraymalt almost pay for the mashtun.

Advertisement