Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do they know how many tuned in to watch a programme?

• 19-06-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I keep reading that over 1 million people tuned in to watch Ireland in the soccer. The figures are actually quite exact...for example they say 1,244,542 people tuned in for more than one minute to watch the match and 1,843,335 people stayed tuned to watch Après Match afterwards...
    Just wondering HOW do they know the exact figures?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I keep reading that over 1 million people tuned in to watch Ireland in the soccer. The figures are actually quite exact...for example they say 1,244,542 people tuned in for more than one minute to watch the match and 1,843,335 people stayed tuned to watch Après Match afterwards...
    Just wondering HOW do they know the exact figures?

Always wondered that myself:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

House across the rtoad from me had one of the boxes up till they moved out about 7 or 8 years ago. they had to key in the amount of people watching tv. If a guest was there, they were added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Ah thanks. So it's an estimation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ah thanks. So it's an estimation..

Yeah it is not necessarily accurate but advertisers need some way of measuring audience numbers so the entire industry has accepted the current system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A friend of mine got 1 of these boxes in that track viewing figures, all he ever used to watch was cycling and skiing on Eurosport, his girlfriend moved in before Christmas last year and he got a letter around March asking if he had moved cause he noticed a big change in viewing habbits. He had forgotten that he had the box cause he used to always be the only person watching the TV and never had to change the viewer number or the amount of people, when herself started watching her programs it was showing up under his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Xenophile

French TV

What is being watched most at present.....................Soccer or Rugby.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement