Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for a Triathlon

Options
  • 19-06-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Fellas,

Myself and my mate are planning on doing the Howth Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim, 20 Km Bike and 5 Km Run) in a few weeks. Neither of us have done one before, we do a bit fit of cycling and are in relatively good shape.

Are we in for a surprise?

What's the best attire, wet suit?

Just general advice required.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Fellas,

Myself and my mate are planning on doing the Howth Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim, 20 Km Bike and 5 Km Run) in a few weeks. Neither of us have done one before, we do a bit fit of cycling and are in relatively good shape.

Thanks

Its not a TI affiliated race so lord knows what the safety standard will be.

Anyone know if this race is on the "no fly list"? I know one of the organisers is associated with Bin Laden......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Its not a TI affiliated race so lord knows what the safety standard will be.

Anyone know if this race is on the "no fly list"? I know one of the organisers is associated with Bin Laden......
    Context Tunney, question was about basics of a 1st Tri atempt.

@Dietsquirt
    What do consider a "fair bit of cycling"?
    Do you do much running?
    Can you both swim? Proficiency?

Doing your first triathlon is simpler than most think once the fitness is there to get through it. I wouldn't even advise spending beyond the bare essentials.

Swim
    Pair of togs, goggles, wetsuit (is mandatory unless its a pool swim)

Bike: Just make sure its in good working order, brakes work, wheel not wobbly, bottle cage on it. Helmet in perfect condition. A pair of shorts and a top.

Run: Runners.

Do the training and keep it simple :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For a first tri the swim is probably the biggest issue. So try and get a bit of work done there and a few open water swims as your first ow tri can shock the system. :) Otherwise run after cycling to get used to that. You'll do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Fellas,

Thanks

first of all, just enjoy it. dont worry about times or any of that crap. after your first, you could end up getting the bug and then its all about times, so take this one as a test and a great achievement when you finish it.

As mentioned, don't spend a fortune yet. keep it simple
    A tri-suit under the wetsuit is handiest, but they are around 80 notes.a pair of cycling shorts and a t-shirt will do it, but putting the t-shirt on in transition when your wet is a b11tch. also i'd always recommend wearing socks for the run. A lot don't to try and save a few seconds, but you risk getting blisters and ruining your race

The best practice you could probably do IMO is an aquathlon (Bray or Pulse) or duathlon (Phoenix park). they'll get you use to the distance and the madness of tranistion.

If you can't do any of them, make sure you practice going from bike to run a good few times. Jelly legs is horrible when you get off the bike.

As mentioned, for new bies, the swim is the big issue. get into open water when at all possible for training

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Oryx wrote: »
    For a first tri the swim is probably the biggest issue. So try and get a bit of work done there and a few open water swims as your first ow tri can shock the system. :) Otherwise run after cycling to get used to that. You'll do just fine.

Yep this is the most important, last year i did my first tri and open water swim in the Hell of the West. I swam the required distance in the pool the week before and didn't do much else and thought adrenalin would get me through but after 100m of the swim (just after the pier :o) i was very close to giving up and to be honest i was terrified of the distance i still had in front of me. Pride brought me through it as i had family and friends there but on another day i would've given up.

Don't underestimate the swim as I have always been a reasonably confident swimmer without ever doing any training and i struggled due to underestimating the swim and the difficult conditions on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Context Tunney, question was about basics of a 1st Tri atempt.

@Dietsquirt
    What do consider a "fair bit of cycling"?
    Do you do much running?
    Can you both swim? Proficiency?

Doing your first triathlon is simpler than most think once the fitness is there to get through it. I wouldn't even advise spending beyond the bare essentials.

Swim
    Pair of togs, goggles, wetsuit (is mandatory unless its a pool swim)

Bike: Just make sure its in good working order, brakes work, wheel not wobbly, bottle cage on it. Helmet in perfect condition. A pair of shorts and a top.

Run: Runners.

Do the training and keep it simple :)

Thanks for responding, i cycle quite regularly 30/40 km, weekly. I think 5 k i could do, but after a swim and a cycle could be tough. And we're good swimmers (in a pool!).

And i have all the above equipment.

miller82 wrote: »
    first of all, just enjoy it. dont worry about times or any of that crap. after your first, you could end up getting the bug and then its all about times, so take this one as a test and a great achievement when you finish it.

As mentioned, don't spend a fortune yet. keep it simple
    A tri-suit under the wetsuit is handiest, but they are around 80 notes.a pair of cycling shorts and a t-shirt will do it, but putting the t-shirt on in transition when your wet is a b11tch. also i'd always recommend wearing socks for the run. A lot don't to try and save a few seconds, but you risk getting blisters and ruining your race

The best practice you could probably do IMO is an aquathlon (Bray or Pulse) or duathlon (Phoenix park). they'll get you use to the distance and the madness of tranistion.

If you can't do any of them, make sure you practice going from bike to run a good few times. Jelly legs is horrible when you get off the bike.

As mentioned, for new bies, the swim is the big issue. get into open water when at all possible for training

Heading to Dun Laoghaire on Saturday for a swim, i'll try that cycle to run exchange as well.

Thanks for the feedback

Redzah wrote: »
    Yep this is the most important, last year i did my first tri and open water swim in the Hell of the West. I swam the required distance in the pool the week before and didn't do much else and thought adrenalin would get me through but after 100m of the swim (just after the pier :o) i was very close to giving up and to be honest i was terrified of the distance i still had in front of me. Pride brought me through it as i had family and friends there but on another day i would've given up.

Don't underestimate the swim as I have always been a reasonably confident swimmer without ever doing any training and i struggled due to underestimating the swim and the difficult conditions on the day.

Yea i heard the swim is a lot tougher than you think, my friend did a triathlon before, he was quite fit and had to be 'rescued' during the swim.

i'm looking forward to it.

Advertisement