Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC internet price increase?

• 19-06-2012 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭

I notice it's gone up by about 7 euro or so over the last few years. I also can't seem to find an option for a cheaper package than the 40 something a month I'm on. Because of cutbacks and rising costs of everything, it might not be feasible to keep that up. I'm pretty happy with the level of service aside from that and could put up with something slightly slower.

Would I be better of finding something better value altogether?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I notice it's gone up by about 7 euro or so over the last few years. I also can't seem to find an option for a cheaper package than the 40 something a month I'm on. Because of cutbacks and rising costs of everything, it might not be feasible to keep that up. I'm pretty happy with the level of service aside from that and could put up with something slightly slower.

Would I be better of finding something better value altogether?
    Their 25MB package is 37 EUR a month; what else do you have bundled in the package?

As for options, only other thing would most likely be DSL connction which require active phone line (20 odd a month) and depending on quality of line is likely to be in the 3 to 15 MB range. Looking at Vodaphone they got a 8MB down, 40 GB a month package for 40 EUR including line rental with free calls off peak. Question being if you need that phone line or simply can go with a IP phone set up instead I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭mollymosfet

Nody wrote: »
    Their 25MB package is 37 EUR a month; what else do you have bundled in the package?

As for options, only other thing would most likely be DSL connction which require active phone line (20 odd a month) and depending on quality of line is likely to be in the 3 to 15 MB range. Looking at Vodaphone they got a 8MB down, 40 GB a month package for 40 EUR including line rental with free calls off peak. Question being if you need that phone line or simply can go with a IP phone set up instead I guess.

It's not really 37, they add an extra charge for those without TV.

I remember there used to be a cheaper package, what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thayes

Hi, you are correct, they used have broadband for 20 per month (+ ~7 if broadband only).
    25 euro per month was standard price point for 20Mbps, not sure when they changed it, amazed there has been nothing of significance about it.
    Going from 25euro to 37 per month is one hell of a jump, with lowering costs etc.

Not sure who to complain to, its probably dependant on others competing more effectively on speed and price.

I have it with them for year, so I am paying 33 per month in total for 25Mbps.

Won't be changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I think the market is segmenting greatly.
    The mobile broadband dongles are getting more competitive all the time at the low end - now €10.15 a month for 1GB usage.
    Given the level of customer support needed, and the general move towards teethering on smartphones, I doubt UPC think this is a sustainable/profitable market to even try to compete against - it is really for remote areas - one off housing.

Then we have the dsl market - realistically will only be used in rural Ireland - low density populated areas - small vilages - poor return on any investment by UPC. Not worth considering.

Then we have the urban market, which will all be fibre.
    Given the price of Eircom's 25Mb fibre offering €45 per month
    it looks like UPC are increasing their price close to this amount
    in order to maximize their profit.

Strange move, because as regards customer numbers, Eircom (500K users) would have close to twice the amount of subscribers as UPC (270K users). I would have thought that UPC would stay very low to attract more market share.
    The company said there are now more than 300,000 customers using its next-generation broadband service at the wholesale and retail level.
    The up to 24Mb NGB Ultimate product has been reduced in price by 17pc to €39.82 per month (including VAT) .Up to 850,000 customers nationwide can take advantage of this product.
    Source:Silicon Republic
    But if you include Non-NGB users,
    Wikipedia has their total broadband subcription base at over 500,000 as far back as 2007. (probably 700-800K now)
    Cable provider UPC has seen a 26pc increase in broadband subscriptions with numbers now standing at 272,700. Entry-level speeds currently stand at 25Mbps.
    Some 600,000 households are capable of receiving 100Mbps broadband if they wish.
    Source
    Silicon Republic
    Silicon Republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's not really 37, they add an extra charge for those without TV.

€7.80 or so I think extra for those who only want the BB

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭mollymosfet

So what actually happened to the cheaper package?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So what actually happened to the cheaper package?
    It was removed when UPC streamlined the offerings to three speeds (25/50/100, soon to be 30/60/120 by the sounds of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Also the 20Mbit was a bit too cheap in comparison to the 25Mbit offer. E25 vs E35 for 5Mbit more and 0.5Mbit more upload isn't quite justified. That's why I downgraded a few months back and I never noticed any speed difference but I am certainly not someone that needs speeds like 100Mbit anyways at least not yet.

Doesn't matter to me if a download takes 5min or 25min if you are actually able to DL full speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The cheapest broadband is currently 37 Euro for 25Mb. However, if you don't have phone or TV with it there is a further 7.88 added as a standalone charge. So to have broadband only will cost 44.88.

However if you choose to add phone they drop the 7.88 standalone charge and you instead pay 6.10 for a basic phone service. So to have 25Mb broadband and phone will cost 43.10.

Yes, surprisingly it is 1.78 cheaper to have phone and broadband than broadband on it's own. I did this about six moths ago and I have never even plugged in a phone.

The 20Mb broadband is cheaper at 25.41 but is not availible to new customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I just got home and opened the post. A letter from UPC, telling me about how fantastic and awesome they are and how much they love providing service to me. They are even going to increase my broadband speed out of the goodness of their hearts. I came over a little teary eyed as I thought back on our long relationship and how appreciative I am of this totally unexpected gift of some additional bandwidth .

I then turned to page two to find out that unfortunately UPC are having a hard time in this economic climate, so they are going to have to increase my bill by a further 1.99 from August. I suspect I am supposed to feel sorry for them as they are practically gving away their service as it is. Coincidentally this is actually another in a series of letters over the last ten years informing me of price increases. I have yet to see one saying that they would like to decrease my charges now that their initial investment in this awesome network is now finally paying off.

I wonder if the same tack will work tomorrow with my boss. I will write him a letter tomorrow informng him that I have been woking for him for ten years now and I am so awesome that he must love me. However I require that he start paying me an extra 200 more from next month.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Got that letter today....1.50 more for what's been effectively a 15mb increase, can't complain much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

Can you haggle with UPC, like you can with sky? Also my wifi seems worse since my bb speed upgrade, weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

kindalen wrote: »
    Can you haggle with UPC, like you can with sky? Also my wifi seems worse since my bb speed upgrade, weird.

Yes, threaten to leave and ask to speak to their cancellations department. They'll make you an offer of knocking off a few quid a month for a year. My year is up now at the end of July so I'll be looking to get it extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I was enquiring about UPC as new customer. I got offered basic broadband and phone for €31.51. I think it was 20mb basic broadband for €25.41 plus €6.10 for phone (no call package) = €31.51 That was a few weeks ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

Have the epc2425 router. Tis awful, if I threaten to leave and they offer another router what should I I look for? Have bb and phone with 25mb, now 30mb.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

A few months after I joined upc a couple of years ago I complained about the "extra charge" for not having tv or phone line and how my friends on the same package didn't have to pay it.. I got the 10mbps plan originally for 32.75 a month. I explained how I felt it was unfair and the cc rep sympathised with me. After complaining they did some complicated maths and made some discounts and I ended up at 27.75 a month (28.28 after VAT increase this year). I'm now on 25mbps speed following some free upgrades like others this month. I certainly won't be changing from it, hopefully upc don't come looking for a price increase from me too!

cookie1977 wrote: »
    A few months after I joined upc a couple of years ago I complained about the "extra charge" for not having tv or phone line and how my friends on the same package didn't have to pay it.. I got the 10mbps plan originally for 32.75 a month. I explained how I felt it was unfair and the cc rep sympathised with me. After complaining they did some complicated maths and made some discounts and I ended up at 27.75 a month (28.28 after VAT increase this year). I'm now on 25mbps speed following some free upgrades like others this month. I certainly won't be changing from it, hopefully upc don't come looking for a price increase from me too!

Just out of interest, do you really have no phone, or could you plug one into the back of the router and get a dial tone anyway?

I've no phone. Mobiles and skype.

€28 a month is a good price for 25mb. Just shows how you can haggle as a new or existing customer. That's something we're not very good at in Ireland.

So true. I know friends who tried the same thing but threatened to leave if the price wasn't dropped. UPC said sorry to see you go. I think my tack of pulling a sympathy card and saying woo is me resulted in the rep agreeing with me that it was unfair. This while I was still in contract.

It's always worth asking no matter what the company is. I think if people try getting sympathy rather than issuing threats that they'll leave they may get further (they may not but threats will certainly lead to nothing good). I remember same sympathy card got me new customer status for 2 years with flogas too followed by a smaller discount then new customers after that, but still a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Been reading the interesting comments people have had to make a few months back. Have things changed again in recent months? The best price I can see for internet is €39. There's the €7.88 no TV/phone fee then to be added. Best way around it seems adding a phone package for an extra €5. Is that the best they can do?

I've got 25 mb broadband (500GB limit) and no TV (although I can watch analogue) for 29.88 following some price increases and me moaning to them then being signed up to a new 1yr contract. new customers will have to go with the new prices I think but there is some scope for existing customers to battle for discounts (politely of course).

Advertisement