Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hayfever Gone Apse****

• 19-06-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Jesus ... someone give me tips to get rid of this dry, red nose and constant sneezing :(

Hayfever tablets are doing jack s*** for me today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Move to Greenland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Stop touching yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Same here ...nothing works:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Jesus ... someone give me tips to get rid of this dry, red nose and constant sneezing :(

Zirtec. AH answer, wear a plastic bag on your head, secure it around your neck with a cable tie. Your hayfever will trouble you no more.*

*don't do this kids, it is silly, may prove fatal and will make you look like a Faux Limerick gangsta comedy singer type at your autopsy. Also, it's silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Amm stop being allergic to nature how about that ? Fcukin goin around sneezing and wheezing and tormenting me while I'm trying to enjoy the bit of sunshine. Stay inside if your not able for the outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Pottler wrote: »
    Zirtec. AH answer, wear a plastic bag on your head, secure it around your neck with a cable tie. Your hayfever will trouble you no more.*

*don't do this kids, it is silly, may prove fatal and will make you look like a Faux Limerick gangsta comedy singer type at your autopsy. Also, it's silly.

Don't really work for me the Zirtec. Kinda hoping for household remedy tips to calm it down

Pottler wrote: »

Don't really work for me the Zirtec. Kinda hoping for household remedy tips to calm it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

OP if nothing OTC works, you need to get the injection, or prescription meds.
    I get the injection and take Telefast (a prescription antihisthimine)

I don't think any holistic or household remedies will work on you if you're that bad. but there's a thread on Tips for Hayfever Suffererers in the Long Term Illness forum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Do you live in Dublin city by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

+1 to sinus rinse.

Its godawful the first time you do it but nowadays I use it when my hayfever flares up and it provides some relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I think my doctor gave me Neoclarityn, it worked for about a week compared to the over the counter stuff that worked 2-3 days. My hayfever has become much more manageable and less of an issue since I quit smoking, if you smoke try cutting back and keeping your nose clean and moist.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Amm stop being allergic to nature how about that ? Fcukin goin around sneezing and wheezing and tormenting me while I'm trying to enjoy the bit of sunshine. Stay inside if your not able for the outdoors.

Why can I not find peace on any thread without your negative bollix replies? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

no joke,i put vaseline on my eyebrows (i think it catches the pollen) and cover my nose with it ,plus keep windows closed at night and I take 2 antihistimines first thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

OP I'd say forget about tablets completely and get the nasal spray and eye drops (ask in pharmacy). I get it quite bad and this works for me. Sorts it out almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Off the shelf hayfever tablets, nosespray and eye drops are useless. Get prescribed tablets called Xyzal, and take them year round or at least start them around february/march. There is a prescription nose-spray called Avamys that I find absolutely great. Try get that too.

Drink plenty of water. Regularly dust/hoover your room. Dont rub your eyes. Wearing a face-mask helps too if you want.

If you have an important event coming up, go to your GP and talk to him about it. He can give you a steroid injection that rids 90% of your hayfever for about 3 months. I got it done for my leaving cert but they wouldnt give it to me this year as its not a regular thing.

Why can I not find peace on any thread without your negative bollix replies? :confused:

Its a comment on the fact that people who have hayfever are extremely fcukin annoying, sniffing and sneezing.

But go ahead and try derail your own thread over some unrelated issue from ages ago. Good lad. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Stock up on some locally produced honey and take a spoon of it every day, its best to start in janurary and keep going, but it wont do any harm starting now.

I suffer terrible hayfever too and this has made a very big difference this year, i have only taken 2 allergy tablest this year and that was more of an uncomfortable sensation had no bad runny nose or eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

If its really bad get steroids of your doctor .. I been using them for hayfeaver since I was about 15 .. They work amazing. Keep in mind I was the type of person who would other wise would be blind if I did not take them due to my eyes swelling up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Ditto OP, am being driven demented today by hayfever : blocked, runny nose, hot and cold, itchy eyes, sneezing etc etc
    Started from the minute i got outta bed this morning, took two anti allergy tabs, did no good, tehy havent worked the last couple of times for me agggrrrh.

Ruins my day, I just feel like ****, am really irritable and feel like doing nothing. Took to me bed thsi evening to get away from the outdoors....

So much for enjoying the sunshine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

locally produced honey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Off the shelf hayfever tablets, nosespray and eye drops are useless. Get prescribed tablets called Xyzal, and take them year round or at least start them around february/march. There is a prescription nose-spray called Avamys that I find absolutely great. Try get that too.

Drink plenty of water. Regularly dust/hoover your room. Dont rub your eyes. Wearing a face-mask helps too if you want.

If you have an important event coming up, go to your GP and talk to him about it. He can give you a steroid injection that rids 90% of your hayfever for about 3 months. I got it done for my leaving cert but they wouldnt give it to me this year as its not a regular thing.

I find the spray and eye drops from the pharmacy to be great but then I suppose it depends on the severity of your hayfever. Good advice on the rest, particularly the hoovering your bedroom.

Hope you get it sorted, OP. It can be a living hell for the summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

why is it when you blow your runny nose, you'll always sneeze 3 or 4 times straight after and it'll be like you never blew it. lol.

Jaysus might try the aul honey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nut up or shut up

Its a comment on the fact that people who have hayfever are extremely fcukin annoying, sniffing and sneezing.

But go ahead and try derail your own thread over some unrelated issue from ages ago. Good lad. :rolleyes:

"Stay indoors" , "ruining my sunshine", "try not being allergic", is along the lines of what you said.

I'd call that trying to derail a thread. Jog on please.

"Stay indoors" , "ruining my sunshine", "try not being allergic", is along the lines of what you said.

I'd call that trying to derail a thread. Jog on please.

You'd be wrong, was a valid comment on the topic at hand, unlike your contributions. And I didnt even register the username until you had your little fit.
    Why can I not find peace on any thread without your negative bollix replies? confused.gif

This is exactly what you said. If you have issue with my post report it. If you have issue with me then pm me. If you want to moan about other threads then go back to those threads and moan.

But derailing your own thread with some petty little personal gripe is kinda pointless. So I'm gonna do you a favour and save you from your own ignorance here and I'm gonna stop you derailing the thread entirely and bow out. Good luck with your hayfever btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I saw this on morning Ireland on TV3 it might work if your willing to try it.
    (I usually never watch this channel)

www.salttherapyspa.ie

• Advertisement

You'd be wrong, was a valid comment on the topic at hand, unlike your contributions. And I didnt even register the username until you had your little fit.

"stop ruining my sunshine" and "try not being allergic" isn't what I'd call advice. You seem to be the one who had a fit over helpless feckers like myself having hayfever.

This is exactly what you said. If you have issue with my post report it. If you have issue with me then pm me. If you want to moan about other threads then go back to those threads and moan.

I'm not going to stoop to reporting people on this. I wasn't moaning. I just wasn't surprised you gave "me" a fairly confrontational reply.
    But derailing your own thread with some petty little personal gripe is kinda pointless. So I'm gonna do you a favour and save you from your own ignorance here and I'm gonna stop you derailing the thread entirely and bow out. Good luck with your hayfever btw. :)

Fair enough then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Shower twice a day wear wash your hair once, wear clean cloths every day.. If you smoke give up!

You'd be surprised at how much pollen sticks to you... :( Take calritin once a day.... i live bye the sea so it aint to bad for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm so glad I don't get anything like this.
    It looks awful, I see lots of peoples eyes go mental. And to get it every summer would drive me mad!

I'm so glad I don't get anything like this.
    It looks awful, I see lots of peoples eyes go mental. And to get it every summer would drive me mad!
    Yeah but at least he's not gettin the sack tomorrow Teddy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

emzolita wrote: »
    Yeah but at least he's not gettin the sack tomorrow Teddy! :)

ahh thats hitter below the belt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Maxsteele, have you tried clarytin tablets from the pharmacy yet. They are effective for me to an extent.

I have also tried prescribed eyedrops too from the GP.

My uncle who lives nearby gets hayfever every year and drives him mad as much as me.

One good tip that can I tell you is that if you are clearing your nose regularly. It is known that blowing out the nose very hard is not recommended. There are tendencies to have nosebleeds at any time.

My hayfever treatment when very young was stressful because I didn't have very much experience of how to treat it properly.

I can tell you a story of going on a holiday to Athlone in June 2008 to spend it with my aunt & uncle for the first time. The very first day I arrived at their house and I was sneezing and spluttering all over the place, either in the town or house etc.

They had a very big fields of grass and plants at nearly every corner of the house. At that time from suffering the hayfever, it was hell on earth.

I now usually go in July/August from now on and it helped ease the suffering a lot in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Wear a bin liner. Or build up a defence to the reaction. I have or had hayfever from grass that I developed in adolescence and I get or got a horrible rash, and before the rash I got hives but from prolonged exposure to grass clippings during summer I don't get it anymore. I hardly itch anymore either. Sneeze a little bit but that's it. The hives used to be really bad; 20 or 30 of them on my hands and feet and legs and a rash covering my hands and legs but I built up a resistance to it from the exposure. You should find out what pollen exactly causes your symptoms and if there is any cross reaction with other pollen, which is usually less severe, and expose yourself to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

My hayfever was worse these past few days aswell & I ran out of sinus tabs one day I was soo not happy. Any way the citrine allergy seems to stop workn for me. Zirtex normally works too but it also seemed to have no effect. Tried Claritin for a change and tis done the job and I also got some prescription allergy spray called Avamys and it is brill! Hope your hayfever clears up OP. it's so horrible and ruins sunny days:( Im terrified of needles and I hear it's meant to be fairly sore getting the sinus injection so I'll just carry on with tabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I've had it very bad the last week or so, the over the counter stuff doesn't work for me either.

I've had the injection a few times and it totally gets rid of it for me for the summer, highly recommend it for anyone that has it badly.

Splashing out 70 quid for an injection that takes the doctor 2 mins is annoying though but I'm not putting up with this for the next 3 months.

Amzie wrote: »
    My hayfever was worse these past few days aswell & I ran out of sinus tabs one day I was soo not happy. Any way the citrine allergy seems to stop workn for me. Zirtex normally works too but it also seemed to have no effect. Tried Claritin for a change and tis done the job and I also got some prescription allergy spray called Avamys and it is brill! Hope your hayfever clears up OP. it's so horrible and ruins sunny days:( Im terrified of needles and I hear it's meant to be fairly sore getting the sinus injection so I'll just carry on with tabs.
    Would you not try the honey method it really does seem to make the reactions a hell of a lot less severe

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Would you not try the honey method it really does seem to make the reactions a hell of a lot less severe

What's the honey method? Never heard of it before

• Advertisement

youre supposed to eat a locally sourced honey. You then build up a tolerance to the pollen in your area due to eating the local honey. something like that, i think :)

emzolita wrote: »
    youre supposed to eat a locally sourced honey. You then build up a tolerance to the pollen in your area due to eating the local honey. something like that, i think :)
    Yup thats pretty much it, i started taking it in janruary and, my hayfever has been much lessened this year, i have only had to take 2 citrine tablets so far this year , usually i would of been taking them for about 30 days at this time of year.

I take it in the mornings as a tea spoon of honey straight into my mouth, as far as i know its the best way to take it vs mixing it with tea or cereal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Thought it was just me in the last few days. Haven't stopped sneezing/streaming in a week, but was trying to convince myself that there' was nothing wrong because met eireann are saying the pollen count is low.

Feeling miserable with it

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Do try the local honey - I keep bees because of the hay fever and a spoonful of honey everyday works wonders. It has to be local honey though - have a look at the FIBKA web set for a list of associations and talk to the secretary - they will be only too willing to get you a source of local honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I just get the itchy eyes thing(which drives me feckin mad) and somtimes a runny nose. My eldest lad dies with it altogether. Unless you've suffered the misery of Hayfever, it's hard to sympathise with people who get it. I actually dread this time of year and especially dread mowing the lawn as I die for 3 days afterwards. This year I copped out altogether and refuse point blank to go near the garden - if ye want it mowed, go mow it, Pottler will be inside, watching, with un-itchy eyes. I could actually tear my eyes out they get so irritated, nasty stuff hayfever. Zirtec does work for me, but I read that it was very hard on your liver and kidneys so try to take it as little as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are there any studies which have confirmed that the honey thing actually works? I eat a fair bit of honey and still suffer from bouts quite sever hay fever for a few weeks each year.

Have the people who find honey to work been diagnosed as having a pollen allergy?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Add to a cup of ducks blood 3 bat ears, 25 caterpillars and a sprinkling of flobberworm parts. If this doesn't work you're going to have to get a big needle in your bum. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Grow a moustache. Even a Hitler one might do. Just to cover beneath the nostrils.

Are there any studies which have confirmed that the honey thing actually works? I eat a fair bit of honey and still suffer from bouts quite sever hay fever for a few weeks each year.

Have the people who find honey to work been diagnosed as having a pollen allergy?
    Yes the honey thing works, but every source will say its key that its locally sourced honey so the pollen the bees use is similar to what your in contact with.

I am diagnosed with a pollen allergy my brother also, he was so bad at this time of year he would bleed from the corners of his eyes at times :eek:

Its not a cure, i find my reactions are just a hell of a lot less , but you must be taking the local honey from Janruary on for it to be effective.

Advertisement