Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada: Few questions

• 19-06-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

What is the best way to work banking. I plan to just go with traveller’s cheques and then setup a bank account there when I arrive. Is that the best way?

And in regards to the SIN number can I just apply for that when I arrive or do I need to activate the visa first as I plan to enter as a tourist then go to niagra and flagpoll so I don't waste weeks of my visa.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You won't be able to open a bank account or apply for your SIN without activating your visa first. Irish debit cards work fine over there. My Ulster Bank debit card worked at tills and ATMs. Most Irish banks offer visa debit these days. I bought 500 cash, opened my account and had my parents transfer the money from my Irish account to my Canadian account. I don't think anyone really uses traveller's cheques anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

do not use travelers cheques most banks here wont accept them and if they do they will charge you a fee to change them.

Sin number you can just go to dufferin mall once you have your visa but when you land in canada you are better off activating it as the people at immigration will know you have it the rules are you it gets activated the moment you set foot in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Berzerker

Thanks guys. Yea I think I will go with some cash then just get the rest transferred once I have an account setup.

I was just going to enter as a tourist until I find a job but as you said may save alot of hassle and I should just get it activated when I arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you dont need to activate it when you arrive

just make sure youre aware that to activate it later you need to leave the country first

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Berzerker

Yea my plan was to just go to niagra cross the border there and explain what I was doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement