Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northside Martial Arts

• 19-06-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Living in Santry and looking to join a club as a complete beginner.
    I'm female, but very butch so not precious about a black eye or bruises!

I know google is my friend but I keep jumping from site to site and ending up more confused so it would be fantastic to get some recommmendations.

I work a six day week and Monday to
    Friday I can train from 5.30, Saturday's from 7.30pm.

I want something disciplined as I am a little overweight and I'm craving finding something to really dedicate my free time to.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Fair play to you. What sort of thing are you looking for? Striking (punches, kicks etc) or grappling (throws, chokes, wrestling etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Peetrik wrote: »
    Fair play to you. What sort of thing are you looking for? Striking (punches, kicks etc) or grappling (throws, chokes, wrestling etc)?

+1

You're spoilt for choice on the northside where you have everything from Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Akido (both in Clonsaugh grappling/wrestling styles) to Muay Thai, MMA, Karate, boxing, kickboxing etc (all striking styles).

So you've a wide selection to choose from.

I guess the closest to you which I could recommend are the guys training with Ray Butcher and Meave ~ check them out at defendu.ie

So as Peetrik asked, whats your preference?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I know google is my friend but I keep jumping from site to site and ending up more confused so it would be fantastic to get some recommmendations.

I want something disciplined as I am a little overweight and I'm craving finding something to really dedicate my free time to.

Thanks

Why don't you come and have a look at our place, there's lots to choose from and we're only down the road from you www.defendu.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I think striking style would be what would interest me more. Tried Judo before but the volume of grappling didn't keep me interested tbh.

Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

You could try mugendo kickboxing in Chanel college (coolock village) on the malahide road.

Training is on monday & wednesday at 7.30pm until 9pm

And Saturday morning from 9.30 until 12.30

7€ per class, & Saturday is free If you attend both weekday classes.

First class is free if you want to check it out
    Or just come down to watch & see if it takes your interst

Has a fairly even male/female ratio attending

Cheers
    I think striking style would be what would interest me more. Tried Judo before but the volume of grappling didn't keep me interested tbh.

Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Hey folks,

Thanks

Hi there,
    I run a women's Taekwon-Do class on a Tuesday and Thursday from 8pm to 9pm, there's 12 women in it at the moment, all relative beginners and mostly mammies from my kids class. They would all be in the same boat as yourself with work and life style. We focus on fitness, sparring (light sparring) Self Defence and traditional Taekwon-Do.

We're only across Glasnevin Avenue on the Ballyboggan Road.

Pop in for a free class, no obligations :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Star-Sport-Taekwon-Do-Kickboxing/303524843007468

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

You could try Dublin Thai over in Kilbarrack. Muay Thai has a big focus on fitness and in my opinion is one of the best striking arts (although I'm completely bias).

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DTB

Dublin thaiboxing we are based in Kilbarck ind est.Beginers classes Tue-thur 1830.

We have plenty of girls who train with us,who like your self not much interest in fighting they just love the training.as peetrik says thai boxing has a big focus on fitness/conditoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

we're based in Rush and on the 33 route from santry, the bus stops outside the club so it's actually fairly easy to get to from santry, we do ladies Boxing and toning class every tuesday and thursday at 6.30pm..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    we're based in Rush and on the 33 route from santry, the bus stops outside the club so it's actually fairly easy to get to from santry, we do ladies Boxing and toning class every tuesday and thursday at 6.30pm..

lol, I forgot about us out in Rush (because I don't use buses!).

The bus stop's literally 10 steps from the club door.

Great ol' craic and hard training out in Rush for ya OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

xtreme in swords does a host of martial arts
    based in airside in swords

http://www.xtremefitnessireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Also recommend www.defendu.ie

Great people. You won't go wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Try this club in Swords: http://www.hokubudojo.org/about-us

Their Chief Instructor Dermot is a great instructor and a decent lad too. They have a new dojo recently opened which looks great.

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Woah :)

*bookmarks all the links*

Thanks a million folks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The last thing we want is another northsider fighting! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

xtreme in swords does a host of martial arts
    based in airside in swords

http://www.xtremefitnessireland.ie/

2nd this. I train in Krav 3 times a week with Eddie (Monday, Thursday in Airside), good craic, and tough training.

Advertisement