Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

That's what I've read, but it's a bit disconcerting being able to here it.

I mean every phone since the late 90's has had a vibrate function and I've never heard it rattle at all. I'm going to persist for a few days and see how I fair.

It seems to me like this part of an early batch, with not the best build quality.

Probably the camera lens, my last few phones (HTC and iPhone) have the same rattle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, I really start like the ativ-s. I know it's not the nicest looking out of all devices, but huge lovely screen, Sd card slot, removable battery...

Damn I still can decide between W8 or S3/note 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I mean every phone since the late 90's has had a vibrate function and I've never heard it rattle at all. I'm going to persist for a few days and see how I fair.

It seems to me like this part of an early batch, with not the best build quality.

HTC's build quality has been poor for at least the past two years. I blame it as a major part of their decline. They use fantastic feeling materials, but many of their phones suffered very poor panel fit, dust under the screens and numerous other issues that should have been stamped out ages ago. Whereas Samsung materials tend to feel poor, their finish and construction is probably the best in the business. I'd rate them above Apple, it's just the material choice lets peoples perceptions down.

I love my One X and particularly it's stunning screen - Mrs. Jones one had gimped wifi - but I just don't trust their QA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

God dammit. That's unlucky. I know nexus 4 was reported to have rattle too.

I had an iPhone 5 with a rattle. Got it replaced. Even the almighty Apple can screw up.
    How the feck do these phones pass the testing?!

You'd want to talk to the Chinese factory manager about that! But I wouldn't blame the workers, as it seems they've a hard enough job as it is :(

PS, what's the story with Windows 8 Phone availability in Ireland. I cant see them on the Vodafone website. Know if any on the networks are offering them for upgrade now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

donaghs wrote: »

I had an iPhone 5 with a rattle. Got it replaced. Even the almighty Apple screw up.

You'd want to talk to the Chinese factory manager about that! But I wouldn't blame the workers, as it seems they've a hard enough job as it is :(

PS, what's the story with Windows 8 Phone availability in Ireland. I cant see them on the Vodafone website. Know if any on the networks are offering them for upgrade now?

I only seen Three and Meteor offer the 8X. Ativ S is out at the very end of November or start of December

Lumia is due in February

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So go the 8X yesterday and I am quite impressed so far. What is the story with the Whatsapp application though? I can't find it on the Store anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So go the 8X yesterday and I am quite impressed so far. What is the story with the Whatsapp application though? I can't find it on the Store anywhere.

I believe it was pulled. Probably incompatiability. It will no doubt be back>

Ativ S on o2 €499.99 PAYG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can you install it from http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/whatsapp/218a0ebb-1585-4c7e-a9ec-054cf4569a79 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

testicle wrote: »

Nope, says its not available :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Says it is for me, but maybe that's because I already have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

The 8X I reviewed had the same light leakage and slight rattle, to be honest it didn't' bother me and I forgot all about if after a dew days.

Undead wrote: »
    The 8X I reviewed had the same light leakage and slight rattle, to be honest it didn't' bother me and I forgot all about if after a dew days.

Theres always a light leakage with HTC phones, my Desire, HD7 and Sensation all had that. Plus on the Titan the light from the home button came out through the charging port...No sure is that a feature or bad QC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Picked one of the HTC 8X about 10 days ago. Had a couple of resetting issues and decided that I'd bring it back but then they stopped so I've had none in about a week or so.

Phone is beatiful though and I'm enjoying the WP experience so far. Couple of things though, I initially set up the phone with an account from years ago but didn't really realise that it would pull all sorts of info (like old xbox live profiles in) so when I wanted to use a newer microsoft account, I actually had to set up the phone again. That was a PITA and caused me to lose Whatsapp. It had been working ok, then when I went to re-download it with the new account, it was gone.

Is there an issue in general with the Irish Marketplace? Do we have all the app's that are available elsewhere in the world?

Finally, anyone got any good recommendations for Sports apps? I'm using the ESPN scorecentre and Soccer Livescores but would fancy a couple of new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

SK1979 wrote: »
    Picked one of the HTC 8X about 10 days ago. Had a couple of resetting issues and decided that I'd bring it back but then they stopped so I've had none in about a week or so.

Phone is beatiful though and I'm enjoying the WP experience so far. Couple of things though, I initially set up the phone with an account from years ago but didn't really realise that it would pull all sorts of info (like old xbox live profiles in) so when I wanted to use a newer microsoft account, I actually had to set up the phone again. That was a PITA and caused me to lose Whatsapp. It had been working ok, then when I went to re-download it with the new account, it was gone.

Is there an issue in general with the Irish Marketplace? Do we have all the app's that are available elsewhere in the world?

Finally, anyone got any good recommendations for Sports apps? I'm using the ESPN scorecentre and Soccer Livescores but would fancy a couple of new ones.

I'm starting to seriously consider getting this phone.

I'd be moving from Android though, so I'm a little worried about the apps I'd miss.

I presume there's a podcast app (huge deal for me)?

What's the deal with web browsers? Not a huge user on my phone but I'd like to have the option, like yourself, for on the go sports scores.

Finally, what Irish specific apps (i.e. Dublin Bus etc) are available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Ativ S on o2 €499.99 PAYG

Thanks.
    Getting the ATIV tomorrow on an upgrade !
    Looking forward to my new toy !

rolion wrote: »

Thanks.

Where are you getting it? I don't think its going to be out on Three so hoping to pick up an unlocked one from the first batch.

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks.

Wow? Really? For 500eu on O2 it's a bargain. Is it up on their website?

There is no info in website. Still in coming out soon category.

• Advertisement

There is no info in website. Still in coming out soon category.

It said previously coming in November. Now IRS December.

Looks like a new Lumia is on the block aimed at youth market.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/30574-nokia-reveals-lumia-620-new

Looks like a nice lower mid end handset. If the price is around 200 euros could sell quite well.
    nokia-lumia-620-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

So Vodafone have updated their coming soon page to include the 8S & 8X...still no sign of the 920 :(

http://pocketnow.com/2012/12/05/samsung-ativ-s-delayed-february-2013?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Apparently the Ativ S is meant to be delayed. Once again...Samsung was the first OEM to announce WP8 and probably going to be the last one to bring it out.

Talk about piss poor execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    So Vodafone have updated their coming soon page to include the 8S & 8X...still no sign of the 920 :(

It's mentioned on their support site so something is afoot.:)

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/nokia-lumia-920/customise/sound-settings/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The 820 is listed for Vodafone on http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/phones, but the 920 just shows open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cool Nokia app - http://pocketnow.com/2012/12/05/nokia-photobeamer-slideshows-video

I can't see it in the Marketplace and I'm not sure if it's just for WP8, but the guy in the video mentions all windows phones

Edit - it's for WP8 only - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/photobeamer/971c41e5-3596-4a7a-ba2c-bcd7780d7db5 . Damn you Jan 21st!

Looks like a new Lumia is on the block aimed at youth market.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/30574-nokia-reveals-lumia-620-new

Looks like a nice lower mid end handset. If the price is around 200 euros could sell quite well.
    nokia-lumia-620-02.jpg

i like it. its like HTC 8s, but better. i guess should be around 250-300eu

It said 250 dollars so I hope it will come a bit cheaper here. Then again its Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Cool Nokia app - http://pocketnow.com/2012/12/05/nokia-photobeamer-slideshows-video

I can't see it in the Marketplace and I'm not sure if it's just for WP8, but the guy in the video mentions all windows phones

Edit - it's for WP8 only - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/photobeamer/971c41e5-3596-4a7a-ba2c-bcd7780d7db5 . Damn you Jan 21st!

Here a QR to download it for WP8, for WP7 you'll have to wait till after Christmas :)

image001.gif

Advertisement