Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looks like a new Lumia is on the block aimed at youth market.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/30574-nokia-reveals-lumia-620-new

Looks like a nice lower mid end handset. If the price is around 200 euros could sell quite well.
    nokia-lumia-620-02.jpg

Looks like a good candidate as a replacement for my LG Optimus 7, my only concern would be the rather limp 1300 mAh BL-4J battery size but hopefully you'll be able to get higher capacity batteries for it.

Having waited this long for a decent working version of Skype which I was hoping would come with 7.8 I am well pissed off that LG is blocking 7.8 from the Optimus 7.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

It said 250 dollars so I hope it will come a bit cheaper here. Then again its Ireland...

The $250 is without tax and other relevant charges so iI'd say it will be well above the €300 mark anyway sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Here a QR to download it for WP8, for WP7 you'll have to wait till after Christmas :)

image001.gif

Cheers. I'm not getting my WP8 phone til after Christmas anyway, so will have to wait til then either way to magically send my photos to random screens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Cheers. I'm not getting my WP8 phone til after Christmas anyway, so will have to wait til then either way to magically send my photos to random screens :D

It does look like a very cool app, looking forward to it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Do-more wrote: »
    I am well pissed off that LG is blocking 7.8 from the Optimus 7.

WTF???
    says who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

hoping to get all apps soon in wp , having titan at de moment , lookin forward to get 920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Called my mobile company,they said they have the ATIV,gave me upgrade prices,told me to go to that shop ! Went there,the guy never heard about it.
    then called back the mobicomp and they advise me to call some crowd in Bray...called them,as well,never heard then after few minutes ... we'll have it on friday !
    Got a little pissed by dunno/on friday switch...then,i lost faith !
    The ATIV - VITA...life sucks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think I know why I'm inexplicably (up to now) drawn to WinPhone8...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think I know why I'm inexplicably (up to now) drawn to WinPhone8...

Excellent stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ugh bit of a blow for Win8 from google :(

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3768274/google-gmail-activesync-windows-phone

Not just win8 but all non android gmail users really.

dloob wrote: »

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3768274/google-gmail-activesync-windows-phone

I know a lot of people might be using gmail, they should probably ditch it. Beside the terrible UI no keyboard shortcuts is just silly. When even yahoo offers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

This will only affect people who have selected to setup Gmail using the advanced option. Most users would have let there windows phone set it up automatically so they'll either be using IMAP or POP.

Anyone affect just needs to switch to POP or IMAP. Not really an issue to be honest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

This will only affect people who have selected to setup Gmail using the advanced option. Most users would have let there windows phone set it up automatically so they'll either be using IMAP or POP.

Anyone affect just needs to switch to POP or IMAP. Not really an issue to be honest :-)

Yeah is it just me or is the reaction massively overblown? Like in practice it seems very little will change

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah is it just me or is the reaction massively overblown? Like in practice it seems very little will change

That's what I thought too. For simple user like myself it it just... Meh...

And for all that article, it's like they were talking about 3 fat giants, who are fitting for a piece of pie and throwing fat insults at each other.

Got my hands on a 8X for a couple of days. Cant say in blown away by it. Having my S3 beside me the screen on the 8X feels quite rubbish in colour reproduction.

Camera seems ok. I cant see anything outstanding. No complaints it takes good pictures.

Haven't seen any reboots yet, but its early days , and the update came through as well which enabled always on wifi and apparently is meant to fix rebooting issues.

I can definitely hear rattling inside. Guess its a feature. I can also see the the light leakage from the bottom of the screen (not heavy but easily noticeable in the dark looking from an angle. There's also light leakage from the bottom of the phone beside the charging port .

I did notice some unlike wp7 scrolling prior to the update. It wasn't as smooth as it was on WP7, but seems to have gone away after the update.

Apps...Well still not earning any high grades. Most of the apps I've tried seem to have a huge increase in performance . Though some games look pixelated. Same for certain apps. Happy with the smooth performance of the apps compared to WP7.

Power button is annoying. Doesn't have enough springiness to it. Camera and Volume seems great. Love the design . Not a fan of the pointy edges. Its beautiful yet annoying to hold as the edges sit into your palm.

Also, my mum has a Lumia 800. The minute she seen it, she pointed out the huge design similarities. Even my 5 year old brother confirmed.

Otherwise the OS seems every bit the same. I haven't gone through all the new features yet, but it feels like wp7. Love the new resizable tiles.

IE10 is the highest disappointment. Its relatively slow. Opens full desktop websites and not mobiles. Still seems like essential support requirements are messed up. Facebook.com still bring you to Facebook mobile and not Facebook touch. In both ways website is broken. Cant use add photo function boards either 😞

To those who think websites will update soon. They probably wont. I kept waiting for that to happen with wp7 and it never really did

That's my 2 cent so far. Ill update as i dig deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well POP and IMAP don't support push on most platforms so you have to settle for polling.
    Also on the windows phone platform you lose the ability to sync calendars and contacts, which would be the biggest issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think Google will follow the customer. when the customer base is big enough they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

It will be a big change for me. One of the reasons i changed to GMail from hotmail was the exchange 'push' support. Might just change back to hotmail/outlook as my full time client.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

TBi wrote: »
    It will be a big change for me. One of the reasons i changed to GMail from hotmail was the exchange 'push' support. Might just change back to hotmail/outlook as my full time client.

I think with the outlook.com version of Hotmail ActiveSync is supported.

testicle wrote: »
    I think with the outlook.com version of Hotmail ActiveSync is supported.

It has for the last few years, but didn't when gmail first enabled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I use Gmail Exchange to sync my contacts with all devices, be they iOS or WP. I do think that if it's set up, it will stay set up, but no new users or users who haven't set it up will be able to do so from the 31st Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How are users with Gmail set up using ActiveSync and upgrading to a new device treated?

AngryLips wrote: »
    How are users with Gmail set up using ActiveSync and upgrading to a new device treated?

Old device will continue working for the foreseeable future, new devices won't be able to connect/use activesync.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This removal of EAS was the last straw for me, I was only continuing to use Gmail because I have so many accounts and logons associated with it. So I spent an hour on Sunday morning updating my contact address / logon details for most of the websites I'm registered with, replacing my old gmail with a new alias address setup on my Microsoft account. I had already moved over calendar and contacts to Hotmail about 2 years ago. I never thought I'd consider Google to be the "evil" one, and Microsoft to be the flexible and somewhat sound one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What are any of you guys using to keep track of your data usage?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

kmart6 wrote: »
    What are any of you guys using to keep track of your data usage?!

the networks own website is all that's available unless the Irish networks implement Data Sense (which is about as likely as them implementing visual voicemail). Its a shame as Nokia have a very good data monitoring app for their wp 7.x handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Damn thought that was going to be the answer!

• Advertisement

Its a bit sily to make the function and then dont disable it unless the carrier adopts data sense. Data counter should be there regardless

Advertisement