Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Stuff you didnt see yesterday! --- > http://www.ryanlowdermilk.com/2012/10/the-windows-phone-8-features-you-didnt-see/

Also in the UK Lumia 920 is launching on the 2nd of November. Which is so much better than December here. Then again it was the same with the 800 as far as I remember.

http://www.wpcentral.com/uk-availability-dates-nokia-lumia-920-and-820

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The Skype app for WP8 looks really nice, but I have my doubts we will get it in 7.8, whenever we get 7.8 that is.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

920 for sale in Finland now for 486 euro plus 23% VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Well now, the HTC 8x (blue) is now apparently in stock at expansys.ie
    http://www.expansys.ie/htc-windows-phone-8x-blue-237649/
    for what seems like a decent €515 and another tenner for delivery.

This compares well to the amazon.de (also in stock) price which is €555 before delivery charges are added.

Still no sign of the Lumia phones being in stock. When the 920 does become available it's likely to be about €100 more expensive than the 8x (and you'll probably end up spending another €50 or so on a wireless charger as well).

Decisions, decisions.. ;-)

• Advertisement

http://www.wpcentral.com/sneak-peek-metrotube-windows-phone-8

Sneak peek of metro tube. Still my favorite apps and now it's going to enable pre loading with WP8 so it's getting even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone know when/if xbox music comes to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Isn't it there already? I know it let me sign up for it. Haven't actually used it yet though.

chrislad wrote: »
    Isn't it there already? I know it let me sign up for it. Haven't actually used it yet though.

I signed up for a trial but there's no further details on the site, just the coming soon malarkey

Bambi wrote: »

It's already here. It launched with Windows 8. You can also sign up for Xbox Music Pass €10 pm or €100 per year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Already here boss. Get yourself an Xbox 360, a Windows 8 PC or a Windows Phone 8 device.

testicle wrote: »
    Already here boss. Get yourself an Xbox 360, a Windows 8 PC or a Windows Phone 8 device.

I have the first two,running Wp7.5 though

Not pushing this windows 7 PCs is silly though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Why? They're trying to get you to upgrade to Windows 8!

I've tried XBMX Music on Windows 8 and it's pretty good for a free service, the ads are not intrusive at all and the selection of music is great. Would be nice to see some public playlists on there too (or maybe I've missed them).

Is it only available with Windows Phone 8 if you pay the €10 subscription, or is there a free ad-supported streaming version like on Windows 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys, any idea how it will work with windows 7? one thing i really hate - the whole syncing **** and all my **** connected to other ****, and those 2 connected to third one and they are all in a big cloud of ****...
    will there be some sort of software for windows 7 to use the win 8 phone with? i really hope it wont be a carbon copy of flipping itunes.

As above plus you get 6 months of unlimited music streaming on a Windows 8 PC. That's one of many good reasons to move to windows 8

guys, any idea how it will work with windows 7? one thing i really hate - the whole syncing **** and all my **** connected to other ****, and those 2 connected to third one and they are all in a big cloud of ****...
    will there be some sort of software for windows 7 to use the win 8 phone with? i really hope it wont be a carbon copy of flipping itunes.

It's just companion software. You won't have to use it. Phone 8 will appear as a storage device when connected to a PC

As above plus you get 6 months of unlimited music streaming on a Windows 8 PC. That's one of many good reasons to move to windows 8

I have a preview copy of windows 8 on one of my PC's, the whole metro schtick sucks on a TV PC, I can't see any good reason to move to windows 8 on a desktop right now. :P

I just tried xbox music on my W8 machine, it wants to play certain tracks on my xbox only, which would require a gold Live membership, which I cancelled ages ago :confused:

Given Microsofts history of abandoned media delivery projects I don't think I'll be investing much in it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have a preview copy of windows 8 on one of my PC's, the whole metro schtick sucks on a TV PC, I can't see any good reason to move to windows 8 on a desktop right now. :P

I just tried xbox music on my W8 machine, it wants to play certain tracks on my xbox only, which would require a gold Live membership, which I cancelled ages ago :confused:

Given Microsofts history of abandoned media delivery projects I don't think I'll be investing much in it tbh

Most of us in "building PC" forum hate Windows 8. I will flipping let me balls choped off first, but i wont see windows 8 on any of my PCs. Its a rubbish OS and MS trying to push it down consumers throat like its the best thing ever. As some people said " its not even worth pirating" .
    This OS might be good for mobile phones or tablets, but it is half arsed product when it comes to PCs and laptops.

Most of us in "building PC" forum hate Windows 8. I will flipping let me balls choped off first, but i wont see windows 8 on any of my PCs. Its a rubbish OS and MS trying to push it down consumers throat like its the best thing ever. As some people said " its not even worth pirating" .
    This OS might be good for mobile phones or tablets, but it is half arsed product when it comes to PCs and laptops.

I've been using it every since came out on my PC and its more than fine. I know some people don't like it but you can't keep everyone happy. It has been installed the same way of my mums pc and she's happy with it too.

To me it is the best thing ever cause it's like windows 7 just faster and with better design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah I think it's just the "cool" thing to do at the moment to hate on windows 8 because a few game developers said it was bad.

You don't have to use any metro apps if you don't want, you can hang out in the desktop 90% of the time and it's the same as win7. I've been using it a few weeks and I think it's great. Having the music or messaging app pinned to the side while you do work is very handy, though not really a new thing.

Pity they didn't announce any cool integration with windows phone 8, just skydrive, I was hoping for a bit more during the launch event.

EGriff wrote: »
    Y you can hang out in the desktop 90% of the time and it's the same as win7. .

can't see any good reason to move to windows 8 on a desktop right now

Same same :)

There are some crazy good improvements to the desktop and file explorer for one thing. The new start screen behaves exactly like the old one if you're using a keyboard, you only need to use the new apps as much as you want to. I'm old enough to remember the backlash against Vista when people were clinging to XP, and similarly for Win2k and XP, except this time round the replacement OS has far more to like than dislike. sure its probably a better experience with a touchscreen but they've put a lot of thought into how to use it with a keyboard / mouse / touchpad as well. I enjoy using it on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

? Why? It works exactly the same as 7, with some performance improvements, if you want it to. The only real difference being that they made the start menu full screen and changed how it looks a bit.

They also added awesome keyboard shortcuts (loving Win+X).

IMO all this naysaying is just the usual FUD that comes whenever any big tech company makes a UI change to product.

I'm old enough to remember the backlash against Vista when people were clinging to XP, and similarly for Win2k and XP.

Firstly, Vista had backlash because it was dire. XP didnt have the same problem from 2k users because it was a true convergence of the two windows OS lines and it worked. Plus it was'nt ME...

Secondly, I'm old enough to remember when MS got hip to the concept of windowS and i don't see regression as a good thing for a perfectly capable PC platform

Most people should try it with touch pads or mice that are made with windows 8 in mind. I tried some in pc world that gave the extra shortcuts multi touch functions and it was a much better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah it can be crappy on a touchpad that's not properly set up for it. Mine worked fine with consumer preview but when I installed pro I had to get a driver from Synaptics and even then its not great.

I'm using an MS bluetooth mouse now and its slick. Love the menus at the side of the screen.

Most people should try it with touch pads or mice that are made with windows 8 in mind. I tried some in pc world that gave the extra shortcuts multi touch functions and it was a much better experience.

I intend getting a tablet that will run Windows 8 pro, doesnt change the fact that it's a waste of time for non touch PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Why is it a waste of time? They made a whole range of performance and functional improvements to the traditional desktop in Windows 8...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I intend getting a tablet that will run Windows 8 pro, doesnt change the fact that it's a waste of time for non touch PCs.

That makes no sense since you can ignore Metro and use it like Windows 7. Except faster.

Advertisement