Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Match 6: Mikeyt086 vs IncognitoMan

• 19-06-2012 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

This match is Mikeyt086 vs IncognitoMan. The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin.

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 2 votes

IncognitoMan
    0%
    Mikeyt086
    100%
    Redzer7yomtea98 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

abCPOzeak4.jpg

Unbroken lines are player movement in defensive situations and broken lines are the movement in attacking situations.

Goalkeeper:

Iker Casillas - best keeper at the tournament.

Defence:
    Right back: Mathieu Debuchy - Very good going forward and solid at the back debuchy is attracting interest from a few premier league clubs this summer, an integral part of the double winning lille side from the 2010-2011 season and now part of the french team preparing themselves for the quarter final of the euros

Right centre back: Alessandro Nesta - I think we are all aware of who this man is and the fact I have him at his peak. Famously promised never to captain another club when lazio had to sell him in 2002. He'll captain my team though :D

Left centre back: Aleksei Berezutski - is a strong, brave and versatile central defender who has won a host of domestic trophies with CSKA. Him and nesta should work well together

Left back: Patrice Evra - Last season evra was United's most fielded player in all competitions. When injury ruled vidic out for the season evra stepped up and became United's interim captain, a position he relished as one of the more vocal leaders within the team. He was seconds away from lifting the Premier League trophy.

Midfield:
    Right Centre midfielder: Antonio Nocerino - has cemented himself as one of Italys top midfielders. Often compaired to Gattuso but I dont think they are necessarily such similar players. Nocerino certainly has more of a goal threat about him and is a fine passer of the ball. But it is his industry and commitment that I want to try and utilise in my midfield.

Left Centre midfielder: Frank Lampard - The last few months of the season saw lampard play a slightly deeper role in chelsea's champions league victory. Here he will do a similar job here playing passes and occasionally having a pop from distance. Still an extremely effective player

Right Wing: Luis Nani - Currently having a very good euros nani is one of Manchester Uniteds best players. Ability to go on the outside or cut inside he is a nightmare for defenders facing him.

Left Wing : Ibrahim Afellay - Such a talented footballer its a shame he has been injured for most of this season but he returned and was in Hollands starting line up for the first two games at the euros. Also a player with the ability to go inside or outside when facing a defender.

Forward Line:

Centre Forward: David Villa - Just a wonderfully player to watch when he is in goal scoring form. Arguably spains most important forward.

Centre Forward: Olivier Giroud - Arsenals latest signing I believe. Giroud scored 21 goals and 11 assists last season for the Ligue 1 champions. A tall striker at 6'3 he will give me strength in the air up front.

Gameplan: Giroud will be the man in the middle with villa nani and afellay playing and switching around him. lampard and nocerino will play the passes into them and I will have debuchy and evra boming up and down the wings offering overlaps to my wingers. nesta and berezutski will sit at the back with nocerino putting the tackles in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ok, first of all, IncognitoMan, best of luck.

Now, my team:

abCPQRQaiO.jpg

Let's start at the back. Petr Cech proved this season that he is a match winning goalie, not only that, but a match winning goalie at the very highest level. Cech is a gamer. His performances this season, in particular at the business end have him right back up with the very very elite in the position. At the Nou Camp he pulled off a series of miraculous saves to deny Messi and his mates, but it was his performance in Munich at the Champions League final where he truly stole the show. Save after save, he kept Chelsea in it, and then he saved a penalty in extra time before going on to win Chelsea the shootout. Big game Cech. In a one off game, you have to get it past Petr and his big helmet. A tough job.

My defence is actually so nice. It doesnt have a historic name like a Baresi, Maldini or even Nesta, but it does have brilliant balance and no weakness. Sergio Ramos is as tough as they come, wingers hate playing against him. At right back he can do it all defensively, and has enough about him going forward to cause real problems, he is also a genuine goal threat from set pieces. Gael Clichy was the best left back in the Premier League this year. Absolutely brilliant he was. Defensively he was water-tight, and going forward he was sublime, his assist to Aguero at Wolves might be one of the best passes I've ever seen, seriously, what a player to have. The centre back partnership of Leo Bonucci and Thomas Vermaelen is gold. Bonucci, outstanding for Juve in their return to title form has the heading and tackling ability to nullify the most dangerous of target men, and Vermaelen the same, but he has the football brain to really read a game, he will marshal the back 4, having come through the Ajax academy, don't be surprised by his composure on the ball and his knack for a goal.

The midfield. Again, balance is the key here. I've got Xabi Alonso in my team, the man's middle name is "Equilibrium". One of the best long range passers to play the game, he keeps his teams ticking over, controlling the game the way he control's the ball, with absolute precision. Also, this 'goal threat' is becoming a cliche, but jesus, anywhere within your half, I wouldn't back off. İlkay Gündoğan is the Young Skywalker to Master Alonso. He can pass, he can tackle, he can shoot, he can mix it up with the Schweinstieger's and Kroos' and come out victorious, he is an absolutely gifted young talent. He will run all day for me aswell. A true box to box midfielder, it might just be that when we go to do this again for Euro 2016, he goes in the first 2 rounds. I was giggling like a schoolgirl when I noticed that he was slipping off the radar.

Attacking midfield is a duo of devastating dribblers. Jesus Navas is an absolutely lightning quick winger with sumptuous Spanish skill. Crossing, shooting and making an absolute mug of his opposing full back are the strong points of his game. He creates chances for his team-mates (this makes me smile) and is not afraid to take those created for him. Mathieu Valbuena could have a lot of similar things said about him. One of my favourite players to watch, he has the spark that can change a game and an eye for the audacious. He is another who will create all day and is a serious danger anywhere in the attacking third.

My strikers. Oh lord, my strikers. Where do I start? Marco Van Basten. He is your favourite striker's favourite striker. One of the finest to grace European football... here is a picture I took of his Golden Boot and Golden ball from Euro '88 at the Ajax Experience in Amsterdam when I was there last month:
    http://i.imgur.com/SJTSk.jpg

He's the real deal. I shouldn't need to tell you about Marco Van Basten.

His strike partner? Only the most prolific finisher in the game today, Mario Gomez. If you give him chances, he will score goals. There really isn't that much to say here, the chap brings goals by the bag-full. Currently with 3 in 3 at this year's Euro's. Goals.

Now onto IncognitoMan's team and how I will approach them.

Iker Casillas is arguably the best goalkeeper in the World. Definitely one of the strong points, but I can't help but feel he was unnecessary as first pick. The back four starts off well, Debuchy is hot **** at the moment, he is playing well for France after a good season for Lille, but with compatriot Valbuena keeping him on his toes, he will get dragged out of position on more than one occasion, in which I hope another Frenchy in Clichy will stride forward. Allessandro Nesta is a truly great central defender, but Alecsei Berezutski is not. Will Nesta spend the game worrying about his cumbersome Russian team-mate? If not he still has to deal with Mario Gomez playing off his shoulder... Which leaves Berezutski to mark Van Basten... :eek: Patrice Evra is a weak link. I know this as a Manchester United fan with far less hair than I started the beginning of last season with. IncognitoMan's last pick, he is lazy, he switches off too often, he fails to close down the crosser which puts his CB's under intense pressure and he has been dropped by France. Evra is not the player he once was. The pace of Navas will be far too much for him.

In the midfield battle, I don't see a great deal of balance in Nocerino and Lampard. Nocerino had an up and down season for Milan in my opinion, when he's good he's very good, but when he's bad he shouldn't be there. He is a player who can come up with a moment of magic, sure, but he is more likely to let the game pass him by unless he is included in everything. His partner is an ageing Frank Lampard. A player I still admire, Lampard is most effective in the final third, but there are big question marks about his all-around midfield play, I'm not sure I've ever seen him make a tackle, much better in a midfield 3, Lampard will find it tough against Xabi's organisation and Gündoğan's engine. Xabi Alonso can dictate from deep, or shepherd the defence against a counter should Ilkay join in with the attack.

Nani is a player I love. In the past he has actually torn Clichy apart, but that was when Gael was a loser at Arsenal. This year, Nani was silent both home and away against Manchester City. I am confident that Clichy has exercised his demons and can keep Nani to his inconsistent pot-shots, also Debuchy is getting no help at all from the Portuguese. Ibrahim Affellay is another gifted player, but he has been ineffective at the highest level, and well, Sergio Ramos is a player I believe can shut him down. Injury riddled at Barca this year and wasteful as the Dutch were eliminated at the Euro's, I am highly confident Sergio can keep him quiet.

David Villa in the hole is an odd one, as I feel he would be far more comfortable either as the focal point, or cutting in from the left, does he have the eye for a pass that a David Silva or Wayne Rooney does? I won't doubt his ability, he knows where the goal is, but Vermaelen can match him for pace, and coming back to help out I think Alonso could stifle him. Olivier Giroud is a player I do like. He is a good target man to have, no doubt, but he relies heavily on his physicality being a problem for the defence he faces, and Leo Bonucci will not be outmuscled I don't think. Bonucci is not a good match for Giroud, as Olof Mellberg kept him quiet throughout the France vs Sweden match, Bonucci is younger and better Mellberg.

My strategy to win is to keep it simple. With Lampard, Affellay, Nani and Villa having low defensive work rates, I see exposure to a counter attack. Xabi Alonso and İlkay Gündoğan have the quality to control the ball in midfield, their outlets will be Navas and Valbuena, both capable of taking the ball and turning a defender, should either player (particularly Alonso) be given time then the direct route in behind to Gomez is on, and Mario is one of the best in that situation, should that ball be headed out or half cleared? VAN BASTEN. Navas and Valbuena can cut in-side and try to slide in one of my great strikers, or they can take-on the fullback and try to whip in a cross, should they do this, then Gomez and Van Basten are in their element. Anytime we get the ball into Marco, his superior control and footballing brain mean instant danger. My full backs bombing on are another great cause of danger, Ramos and Clichy can whip in tantalising crosses all day, and I'll re-iterate, crosses = DANGER. Set-pieces? We have Bonucci's big head and tough as nails demeanour, Sergio Ramos flying in, Gomez, Marco Van B and the goal threat of Vermaelen, not to mention Xabi Alonso on the delivery. Danger. Goals. Goal Threat. Jackie Moon. America. (if you cop that movie reference then you're cool)

Thanks for taking the time to read. And again a huge thank you to G.K. for putting this together, it's been a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Mikey by a comfortable margin for me.

His midfield two should be able to keep the ball much better than IncognitoMan's, and does have a far better balance to it.

Also think Evra is a disaster waiting to happen and he will get little support from Afellay, I'd expect Navas and Ramos to comfortable dominate that side of the pitch.

Think Clichy is more than capable of limiting Nani, and Mikey's front 2 are miles apart in quality from Incognitos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mikey for me. Lethal striking partnership, two proper wingers with Xabi pulling the strings, and a very solid defence and goalie...

Ok so having seen mikeys team and seeing how the voting is likely to go I have to try and save some face. So I propose a formation change to this [IMG][/img]abCRrnlapb.jpg Make your football formation with this11.com

I will try and overload mikey in the centre of midfield with 3 centre mids. Hopefully offering me a better chance of retaining possession. Switched Nocerino and Lampard around in the hope that nocerino could take some of the pressure of evra when he does get caught out of position.

Also looking at the defence I think clichy and vermaelen can be got at. vermaelen likes a wonder up the pitch and xavi alonso is going to struggle to fill in for him from the two man centre mid if I can put pressure on him in that area.

Then theres cech. For every game against barcelona when he plays well there is a game like the one against Greece when he hands the opposition a chance or fails to come for a cross. Cech lacks a bravery to be considered one of the worlds best keepers anymore and a centre forward like Giroud would be his worst nightmare. Cross in from nani, giroud causing havoc between vermaelen and cech and villa popping in with a goal for example

I agree mikeys strike force looks amazing on paper but do van basten and gomez work as a two or are the too similar. I think they are too similar and would end up getting in each others way rather so than feeding each other chances and while navas is an excellent wide man to create chances for one of them im not so sure valbuena will be going out wide on the left to often and getting dangerous crosses in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah Mikey for me. Still think they'd be an improved side with a proper number 10 (as said in discussion thread) in the side instead of the of the front two picked but at least he included wide players(particularly navas) who can really bring the best out of the strikers.

Not sure how effective Affelay would be playing centrally for Incognito, think the whole side has a look that it was put together without much tactical thought put into it during the picks stage.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Not sure how effective Affelay would be playing centrally for Incognito.

He won the young dutch player of the year in 2007 playing in a similar role for PSV. Can definitely play there.

I will try and overload mikey in the centre of midfield with 3 centre mids. Hopefully offering me a better chance of retaining possession. Switched Nocerino and Lampard around in the hope that nocerino could take some of the pressure of evra when he does get caught out of position.

Also looking at the defence I think clichy and vermaelen can be got at. vermaelen likes a wonder up the pitch and xavi alonso is going to struggle to fill in for him from the two man centre mid if I can put pressure on him in that area.

Then theres cech. For every game against barcelona when he plays well there is a game like the one against Greece when he hands the opposition a chance or fails to come for a cross. Cech lacks a bravery to be considered one of the worlds best keepers anymore and a centre forward like Giroud would be his worst nightmare. Cross in from nani, giroud causing havoc between vermaelen and cech and villa popping in with a goal for example

I agree mikeys strike force looks amazing on paper but do van basten and gomez work as a two or are the too similar. I think they are too similar and would end up getting in each others way rather so than feeding each other chances and while navas is an excellent wide man to create chances for one of them im not so sure valbuena will be going out wide on the left to often and getting dangerous crosses in

Just defending myself here:

If Vermaelen and Clichy, two of the Premier League's most consistent players can be got at, then the Berezutski-Evra side is weaker than I first thought. My two are solid, not worried about them. Vermaelen does like a wander, this is a positive for me, not a negative, as he will be trying to spring my awesome front 2 loose, and Xabi Alonso is very comfortable just sitting to keep things in control.

The decision to move to a midfield 3 is what was needed, but are the players picked suitable enough for it? Lampard is having to drop deep, somewhere I feel removes his threat. He is rarely deployed there by Chelsea, only really when they have 11 men behind the ball like their last 3 Champions League fixtures. Nocerino has now been asked to help the lads at the back out, his threat has been nullified. If he gets caught up the pitch like he did at The Emirates this season then, as the chief holding midfielder that means bad times. Affellay will be out of position. He may have played there before but all his games for Barca and Holland at the top level have been out-wide, I doubt his ability to get stuck in with the likes of Gundogan.

On Petr Cech, I really don't think you meant what you said. For every Barca or Bayern performance there is an error like the Greece game? Is there? That error against Greece seems like more of a once off than his numerous heroic performances. Petr has been playing big in the Prem and is a massive chunk of the reason why Chelsea won the Champions League, the biggest club competition in the world. He is absolutely amongst the top goalkeepers in the World. Doubting that is a reach.

Should Affellay dropping deep cause my midfield issues, then I can drop Valebuena in there to keep the ball, Marco Van Basten would be asked to shift out wide to cover, although he is a striker, he is one of the best dribblers ever, so he would be asked to keep the ball until support arrives. It wouldn't be ideal, and would only be needed should IncognitoMan's change in formation cause me problems which I don't think will, but Van Basten has the quality to go out there and do a shift for the team. I don't think he will need to though.

On the front 2 and my wide men. Gomez leads the line, Marco is just one step removed, looking for the rebounds or coming short to collect, turn and dribble at the defence in his iconic fashion. Absolutely no worries about them getting in each others way. Valbuena can get wide, he absolutely can, but he is just as effective if he cuts in, perhaps more-so, as he can fire off a shot, slide a pass in behind the defence, or switch it over to Navas who will be staying wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Mikeyt086
    Incognito has a great line up.Love his attackers

Ok I accept your points but yes I do believe cech lets his side down from time to time.
    Its just my opinion. It probably was a bit rash what I said, he is a decent keeper but he certainly is capable of costly mistakes. Don't think he comes for crosses as well as he used to anymore.
    Goodluck in the votes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mickey edges it for me. evra is a big weak link for me and I can see him chasing shadows with romos and nevas doubling up on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The mind boggles. Evra has now gone, from being lauded on this forum as the best left back in the Premier Leauge two years ago, to being a big weakness according to some in this thread. All of that despite the fact that he only missed one game last year in the second meanest defense in the Premier Leauge.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The mind boggles. Evra has now gone, from being lauded on this forum as the best left back in the Premier Leauge two years ago, to being a big weakness according to some in this thread. All of that despite the fact that he only missed one game last year in the second meanest defense in the Premier Leauge.

If you watched Evra play over the past 2 years the mind wouldn't boggle. He was one of the best in the world circa 07-09. Has not been the same since the World Cup, and the biggest weakness in the Utd defense.

I've got 7 votes in the poll but only 3 of them count, if you don't say why you voted for my team then the vote doesn't count so I would appreciate it loads if you could do so. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Seriously, Evra is very poor these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wihtout going into it too much i think Mikeys team is more solid while possessing a greater goal threat.

The balance in midfield in Incognito's team isn't right for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MikeyT for me. His forward line is unbelievably good. With Alonso pulling the strings behind them and some good wingers out wide I can only see one winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

MikeyT for me. He has a really well balanced side. It almost has an old school look to it, Navas is an old school winger almost, a great mix of youth and experience.

I can't see IMs midfield offering enough protection or retaining the ball well enough.

2-1 win for Mikey.

G.K. wrote: »
    Seriously, Evra is very poor these days.
    I don't want to keep this going here but if he was very poor or a big weakness he certainly wouldn't be playing for United. Alex Ferguson would bench him without a thought. He might not be as good as he was a couple of years back but he is still top 10 in the world in the position imo.

Fergie isn't infallable.

Lahm, Clichy, Schmelzer, Abidal, Cole, Alaba, Alba, Coentrao, Marcelo, Cristico

I'd have all 10 before Evra.

But I agree, we should take this discussion to the United thread.

• Advertisement

I don't want to keep this going here but if he was very poor or a big weakness he certainly wouldn't be playing for United. Alex Ferguson would bench him without a thought. He might not be as good as he was a couple of years back but he is still top 10 in the world in the position imo.

Why is that? Ferguson isn't infallible. Surely you would be better off watching the player get caught out of position week in week out, rather than looking at the United team-sheet to determine whether he is still good.

Edit - Beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I would like to vote for incoginto only because I coulndt finish mikeyTs write up. I have tried 3 times now and all three times I dont get past the defence paragraph, you swear he was jizzing on himself writing it up the way he is going on.

Not a fair way to chose though so I will abstain I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Mr I man for me, His midfield has good balance, with Xabi & Lampard spraying long balls all over the place. Really solid back 4 too.

Samich wrote: »
    Mr I man for me, His midfield has good balance, with Xabi & Lampard spraying long balls all over the place. Really solid back 4 too.

Xabi plays for Mikey.

Trippie wrote: »
    I would like to vote for incoginto only because I coulndt finish mikeyTs write up. I have tried 3 times now and all three times I dont get past the defence paragraph, you swear he was jizzing on himself writing it up the way he is going on.

Not a fair way to chose though so I will abstain I guess

I'm sorry I had a bit of fun with it. I forgot how serious this thing was. :rolleyes:
    Samich wrote: »

:confused:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I had a bit of fun with it. I forgot how serious this thing was. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous reason to vote for someone. If you liked his team better then by all means vote for him, but Jesus, I was only having a laugh.
    And clearly you didn't read his whole post.:rolleyes:

Clue: Look for he word abstain.

I edited my post almost immediately.

Thanks though...

Plenty of eye rolling going on for no reason. Who cares if he used a good few adjectives when talking about his defense, that is his prerogative. The voting is on the standard of the teams and their set up, I don't see how a flashy write-up is worth posting about.

Can we get back to discussing the football?

Right, a quick overview.

2 of the best keepers in the world out there.

Defensively, there my be on or 2 issues with the teams. Vermaelen has developed an annoying habit of being sucked too far forward while defending, while IncognitoMan has Berezutski, who isn't top class, and Evra, who I'm sure the United supporters amongst you will know my position towards. :pac: Beyond those, very good picks imo.

In Midfield, Mikey has a great and well balanced 'traditional midfield'. 4 players well suited to the game, esp. Navas, as other have pointed out. IM has 3 very good players, but I'm not convinced about their cohesiveness.

In Attack, Mikey's picked 2 very potent players, and despite the concerns some have had I can see them working together. IM also has a very potent strikeforce, 3 players well suited for how they'll be used (Yes, even Villa, who has never scored a goal in a major championship in a game that Torres didn't start too, so Giroud and Villa would work well in tandem).

So, to examine the teams against each other.

I actually think Alonso and Gundogan, despite being outnumbered, would probably see Mikey get the more posession, and IM isn't going to be sitting back conceeding it. Mikey also has an advantage at set plays (I refer to the number of strong aerial players in the teams here).

Mikey attacking:

Obviously a huge key point for Mikey here is Navas vs Evra. I expect Evra, who can only get limited help from Nocerino (Considering the defensive frailities of a CM comprised of Frank Lampard and Affelay if Nocerino was covering Evra, the Dutchman only being useful for a pressing side when one considers his defensive game), and is unliekly to get help from Villa, to be shredded. This allows Navas to float in crosses to the two centre forwards. If Ramos joins in down the right flank then there'll be a real problem for IM. Down the left, Debuchy, with help from Lampard or Nani is probably better placed to deal with the Clichy/Valbuena combo, but it is still a problem. If Valbuena cuts inside, he's met with Lampard as Nesta is taken up with marking a CF, and I think everyone knows who'll win Valb vs Lamps. Gundogan, while capable going forward, is more likely to be used as a link player as opposed to one to score goals, and will probably have a mixed game against Nocerino. As good as Nesta is I think MVB/Gomez probably trumps Nesta/Berezutski and I'd expect to see goals at this end, esp from crosses or long shots from Valbuena, which like many Spanish keepers, is Casillas' weak point.

IncognitoMan attacking:

While Villa plays his best football cutting in from the left of a front 3 (imo), he's up against a hard opponent here, Ramos, who is as happy tucking into CB as he is playing at RB. Navas might not beat Evra while tracking back, but Evra's end product is poor and if Navas stays higher up the pitch he can exploit the gaps left by Evra's frequent forways forward. Of course IM could counter this by dropping back Nocerino, but that means it is 3 vs 4 in the centre of the park and the offence is outnumbered. Lampard and Affelay can certainly cause trouble going forward, they are much like Shirokov and Zyryanov, a pairing that really impressed me, but Alonso and Gundogan can no doubt cause some problems for them. If Debuchy charges forward to occupy Clichy and Nani cuts inside the space that Vermaelen could well leave behind him could be exploited, and you don't want to give Nani the ball in that kind of area. Giroud, I fear will have a tougher time against Bonucchi, but could well be a threat all the same. I don't think you can keep this attack quiet all game.

Conclusions:

Both sides have excellent attacks, and I can't see either side failing to score, but Mikey's team is more balanced, and probably more potent going forward and defensively. As such, I'd expect victory by a couple of goals for Mikeyt086.

3-1 (Gomez, van Basten, Valbuena / Nani) is a scoreline I could easily see from here.

Expect my other writeups tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The key battle as has been mentioned already is midfield. Quite simply, I just feel IncognitoMan's midfield would be overran and Nocernio would be left to do much.

Looking at it more in depth. The midfield two of Alonso and Gundogan being linked together with Van Basten is so well balanced and I think all 3 players would compliment each other well. Navas at Sevilla is always a threat with electric pace and ability to deliver a good ball. Himself and Ramos would be very effective for me against a now poor LB. Valbuena can be bit patchy form wise in the past, but he's been one of Marseille's better, more consistent players this season and can take multiple positions from playing out wide either side, to playing behind the main striker to playing as a false no.9 which he has done on a couple of occasions this season. His movement off the ball is the one thing few note, it's superb. An ability to get into pockets of space betwern midfield and attack many lack. Gundogan I had my doubts about personally, but watching him week in and week out last season. The lad has grown into his role and has taken on a lot of responsibility having replaced Sahin. The 2nd half of last season in particular, he really came into his own. Willing runner, able passer and can help out defensively. That is what he offers. It's just very well balanced.

As I said above, in IncognitoMan's midfield, Nocerino would be left to do too much I feel. Lampard playing as the 2nd midfielder is taking away from his natural game and if even if he played further ahead, I don't think he'd flourish. Affelay in a CAM role, I have serious doubts over too. Also, based on form which we are meant to factor in this. Don't think I have too much to work with even for Barca.

Defence wise, looking at Mikey's first. I'm not the most keen on Ramos or Vermaelen defensively. Both are suspect in that regards, but often than not their athleticism saves them. No doubt both are genuine threats from a set piece however and could pop up with a goal. Clichy I've been one of his biggest critics, even the first half of the season I was slating him for some below average performances. But I think towards the end of the season he improved. Bonucci has been excellent this season and for Italy so far, good choice there.

As for IncognitoMan defence. Nesta is a class act obviously, that defence worries me in 2 positions far more than Verm and Ramos do on Mikey's team Debuchy is a fine. No problem there. But Evra has been shocking this season, appalling, rubbish, however you want to put it. Shouldn't be even starting for France IMHO. Clichy I'd have over him, likewise one or two other players at Ligue 1 clubs for that matter. Berezutski rarely if ever has inspired confidence for me throughout 90 minutes, he usually has one big mistake just around the corner. Mikey edges this area of the pitch too.

Very briefly onto the attacks. Again, factoring we've been told to reference current form. There isn't much to go on for Villa, and before his injury many were saying he was below par. The rest of the players in either attack have had great seasons, not much else needs to be said. Gomez and Giroud had very good seasons (CL Final aside)

Lastly, it's the goalkeepers. I know he was very good towards the end of the season but that aside, but he's still nowhere near the level of consistency of years ago and is prone to a big game error or two as we've seen with the Czechs. Casillas, is consistently very solid and has improved greatly on coming out for crosses which was on real big flaw with him for many years. IncognitoMan wins this one.

To sum it up. I see Mikey's team winning this comfortably. Better balance and better players overall. I'm a big fan of 4-3-3, but there are 3 or 4 odd picks that take away from Incognito's team big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I've got 7 votes in the poll but only 3 of them count, if you don't say why you voted for my team then the vote doesn't count so I would appreciate it loads if you could do so. Cheers.

Think this happened to me in the last draft where tbh I think I did a better job of drafting picks than this year, got a good few more votes than my opponent but lost out as enough didnt count.

Personally I just find the balance of Mikey's team a bit better and his CFs are going to be really hard to contain so id give him the edge even though hes up against a good set of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Mikey's side has a problem in having that two man central midfield partnership and two out and out strikers like Van Basten and Gomez. That said, Evra and Debuchy are big weaknesses for Incognito imo - and that weakness is exacerbated by Nani and Affelay in front of them. Moreover, Nocerino and Lampard is probably one of the weaker central midfield pairings in this competition. It isn't that they aren't good players, it's just that relatively speaking in a process where it's the best of the best everywhere you turn, they don't measure up well imo.

Mikey for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think Mikey's side has a problem in having that two man central midfield partnership and two out and out strikers like Van Basten and Gomez. That said, Evra and Debuchy are big weaknesses for Incognito imo - and that weakness is exacerbated by Nani and Affelay in front of them. Moreover, Nocerino and Lampard is probably one of the weaker central midfield pairings in this competition. It isn't that they aren't good players, it's just that relatively speaking in a process where it's the best of the best everywhere you turn, they don't measure up well imo
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mikey for me.

Agree with this . Gomez wouldnt work well in a front 2 imo .

I do think Mikey would win this game just because of his superior cm.

Mikey might struggle later on though because most of his attacks will be coming from the wings and with not a lot of support from his 2 cms i think if you can stop Valbuena & Navas you might have the edge over him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Surprised how little interest these games get from the soccer forum members(judging by votes). Shocking that some utterly idiotic threads get masses of posts but this genuinely interesting/debate worthy draft seems to relatively struggle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't make head or tail of this. Why are there injured players, retired players and Belgian players in these teams?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Surprised how little interest these games get from the soccer forum members(judging by votes). Shocking that some utterly idiotic threads get masses of posts but this genuinely interesting/debate worthy draft seems to relatively struggle.

Probably one for the General Draft thread tbh.

But most football fans, sports fans better put can't form an opinion besides what they are fed through the tabloids and Sky, plus they rarely venture outside of their respective league(s) that they primarily watch for whatever reasons.

Enjoying these threads myself anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I can't make head or tail of this. Why are there injured players, retired players and Belgian players in these teams?
    G.K. wrote: »
    9 of the 11 rounds were players in the confirmed 23 man squads (Including those who were injured after being confirmed in such as Cahill, Olic etc but not their replacements).

The wildcard rounds were a historical EUROs player one and a 'Not at Europe' one for any active player from a UEFA country who didn't go for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cool. I don't even know where to start looking for these threads so maybe other people are similarly lost. Maybe a games and quizzes sub-forum would be useful? I know there's one in Sports but nobody remembers that. Apologies if this is not in the right thread; feel free to move my posts.

I am with the majority on this one, Incognito's is leaving far too much pressure on Lampard and Nocerino and I just don't see them standing up to it.

Mikeyt086 has won this match, beating IncognitoMan by 13-1

Congrats to you Mikey, best of luck next time.

Commiserations to IncognitoMan.

• Advertisement

Well done Mikeyt086 goodluck in the rest of the draft

Cheers man and unlucky, I did really like your side despite my perhaps OTT attempts to point out it's flaws.

Advertisement