Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convicts spawning

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got a breeding pair of convict cichlids and a jack dempsey.

The convicts had been keeping him away from the area that they were clearing but apart from that everything was okay.

They've recently laid a clutch of eggs and have become far more aggressive in protecting them and they have the Jack run around the tank to the extent that it must be stressing him out.

What i want to know is this..i've gotten a new tank,initially to hold the convict fry but now i'm wondering would it be better to put the jack dempsey in the new tank and maybe get him a friend and leave the convicts and thier fry alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I would set the tempature of the new tank the same as the one with the Convicts

Fill the new tank with the water from the Convict tank

Add the eggs alone into he new tank

you may need to put mesh ( Tights :D) around the intake of your filter

The Reason I would do this is when the the eggs hatch the Convicts could eat the fry and you would have to be ready and waiting for this if you want to save them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

recently? the eggs usually only take a few days to hatch.
    Convict parents are pretty protective for the first while also, they wont eat them at all, mine hardly sleep defending their babies!! They even chase away fish multiple times their size and flare their gills to seem more aggressive, its quite interesting to watch.

if your jack dempsey is stressed then maybe move him, but if your tank is big enough (was it the one i saw that had your pleco?) then it should be fine. The convicts will chase him away when he is too close but in a big enough tank he should have plenty of space to steer clear if he so wants.

Be careful breeding too many convicts - I know it seems great at first but I bred some and swapped them, then after a while no one seemed to want them any more and they were hard to get rid of in the end! I mean my guys had a brood of ~40 every month or so; in the end i had to get rid of their spawning area as it was getting too much

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

You can create more hides with rocks, that should help. We created a small cave system around their spawn area so they felt more secure. Usually the other fish learn not to go over there, our pair just lost their last fry and for 12 hours after, the tank was still segregated, no fish would dare go into their territory.

Just watch out afterwards, we have one red tail sheller who is now exacting his revenge on the male convict, poor little guy is taking a beating, will have to seperate them.

Advertisement