Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl & Donkey

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Saw a hippie girl walking towards Galway on sunday morning with a donkey carring her stuff, she looked like she was walking round ireland or the world or something , a friend saw her later on lought atalia having some grub with the donkey on the grass there. The donkey was all kitted out with luggage and high viz vest !!
    Anyone know what her story is ???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

She's doing it for charity. She witnessed her partner being mauled to death by dogs on a farm in Malaysia last year
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irishman-mauled-to-death-by-dogs-in-Malaysia-113261529.html

She was on galway bay fm with keith finnegan a couple of days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Disappointed.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Title was misleading. Got excited for nothing...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Title was misleading. Got excited for nothing...:(

Man, you must have a sad life. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

awh crap was that her? she passed our house on monivea road 12noon on saturday. i waved at her though:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

officerbarbrady1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Notch000 wrote: »
    Saw a hippie girl walking towards Galway on sunday morning with a donkey carring her stuff, she looked like she was walking round ireland or the world or something , a friend saw her later on lought atalia having some grub with the donkey on the grass there. The donkey was all kitted out with luggage and high viz vest !!
    Anyone know what her story is ???

we sneer and snigger at the idea but if you are gong on an expedition through the countryside why not have a donkey carry your stuff?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    we sneer and snigger at the idea but if you are gong on an expedition through the countryside why not have a donkey carry your stuff?

I just wonder what the donkey's getting out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

I just wonder what the donkey's getting out it.
    He/she gets well away from smart city folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

46877d1339024234-im-taking-bull-horn-buzz_killington.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Fuinseog wrote: »

I was never trying to imply there was anything wrong with it.....

Absolutely! How can you go wrong with using something that is tried and trusted for centuries?

Throughout history, the matriarchs of a family always had a donkey around when their husbands were away at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Absolutely! How can you go wrong with using something that is tried and trusted for centuries?

Throughout history, the matriarchs of a family always had a donkey around when their husbands were away at war.
    Not to mention baby Jesus. If they didn't have that donkey there would have been big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhqlojgboj/
    21 June 2012

Walk with donkey to raise awareness about dangerous dogs
    By Sandra Quinn

A YOUNG woman who witnessed the horrific death of her boyfriend, Ferrybank man Maurice Sullivan, as he was mauled to death by pit bulls, is going to walk all around Ireland to raise awareness about dangerous dogs.
    On January 9, 2011, Polish woman Agnieszka Jablonska and her boyfriend of 10 years, Maurice, were holidaying in Penang Island in Malaysia when he was suddenly set upon by two vicious dogs, who mauled him to death as she watched on in horror.

Now, almost a year and a half later, to deal with the grief that is still raw, Agnieszka is setting off on a 3,000km pilgrimage tour around the country with her pet donkey Mucci, which was given to her by the Sullivan family in Waterford, as a way of dealing with the aftermath of his death. She said, “This journey is partly to regain back my independence and my feeling that I am capable of doing all those things that me and Maurice wanted to do.

“It is my way of finding my solutions and expressing my love for Maurice and my respect for him.”
    Agnieszka is hoping to walk up to six miles each day, rain or shine and is hoping that the walk will raise awareness about dangerous dogs, as she feels the issue is only highlighted when tragedy strikes.

She said, “There is a lot of reasons why I would like to walk with Mucci, but a very important one is to bring the awareness of dangerous breeds of dogs.

“I have the impression it is only highlighted when tragic incidents happen. In the last few months there were several occasions where incidents happened.”

The long arduous trek will begin on Galway beach, where Maurice’s ashes were scattered and from there, Agnieszka will set off around the rest of Ireland for the next year.

She will be relying on the friendliness of people along her way as she looks for places to pitch her tent and give Mucci some rest along her travels, and is hoping that this trek will finally bring her peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And what did they have when he came back?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

ValerieR wrote: »
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhqlojgboj/
    21 June 2012

Walk with donkey to raise awareness about dangerous dogs
    By Sandra Quinn

A YOUNG woman who witnessed the horrific death of her boyfriend, Ferrybank man Maurice Sullivan, as he was mauled to death by pit bulls, is going to walk all around Ireland to raise awareness about dangerous dogs.
    On January 9, 2011, Polish woman Agnieszka Jablonska and her boyfriend of 10 years, Maurice, were holidaying in Penang Island in Malaysia when he was suddenly set upon by two vicious dogs, who mauled him to death as she watched on in horror.

Now, almost a year and a half later, to deal with the grief that is still raw, Agnieszka is setting off on a 3,000km pilgrimage tour around the country with her pet donkey Mucci, which was given to her by the Sullivan family in Waterford, as a way of dealing with the aftermath of his death. She said, “This journey is partly to regain back my independence and my feeling that I am capable of doing all those things that me and Maurice wanted to do.

“It is my way of finding my solutions and expressing my love for Maurice and my respect for him.”
    Agnieszka is hoping to walk up to six miles each day, rain or shine and is hoping that the walk will raise awareness about dangerous dogs, as she feels the issue is only highlighted when tragedy strikes.

She said, “There is a lot of reasons why I would like to walk with Mucci, but a very important one is to bring the awareness of dangerous breeds of dogs.

“I have the impression it is only highlighted when tragic incidents happen. In the last few months there were several occasions where incidents happened.”

The long arduous trek will begin on Galway beach, where Maurice’s ashes were scattered and from there, Agnieszka will set off around the rest of Ireland for the next year.

She will be relying on the friendliness of people along her way as she looks for places to pitch her tent and give Mucci some rest along her travels, and is hoping that this trek will finally bring her peace.
    Fairplay to her,if I spot her round my way she is welcome at our house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She's not a girl, she is 29.
    Title should be altered to Woman & Donkey.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345745/Irish-tourist-mauled-death-farm-dogs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

snubbleste wrote: »
    She's not a girl, she is 29.
    Title should be altered to Woman & Donkey.

I went out for a few drinks with the Girls.......... oh crap the women, Sorry snub I got confused what age should I change from girls to women

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I seen her in Rossaveal on Friday evening. Best of luck to her and her donkey

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    And what did they have when he came back?

Venereal diseases mostly...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hopefully she understands the link between aggressive dogs & bad owners. She is quoted as saying that “There is a lot of reasons why I would like to walk with Mucci, but a very important one is to bring the awareness of dangerous breeds of dogs."

There is no such thing as a dangerous breed & whilst I am sure that she feels that she is doing the right thing, I hope that she learns the truth in her travels. We already have a big problem in Ireland with misinformation concerning dog breeds - recently an RSPCA warden declared that Huskies were a dangerous breed.

The sad fact is that she will meet a lot of strays on her travels & the obligatory farm dog snapping at her heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Discodog wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a dangerous breed & whilst I am sure that she feels that she is doing the right thing, I hope that she learns the truth in her travels. We already have a big problem in Ireland with misinformation concerning dog breeds - recently an RSPCA warden declared that Huskies were a dangerous breed.

The woman has a dead partner to prove that dangerous dog breeds do exist !

Are you familiar with a breed called Fila Brasileiro, who posess a trait called "ojeriza" which can be translated loosely into an intense dislike or hatred for strangers ?.
    CAFIB (Club for the Improvement of the Fila Brasileiro) insists on selectively breeding for this unique trait.

"The standard for ojeriza states that the dog should not ”allow the judge (a stranger) to touch it. And if it attacks the judge, such a reaction must not be considered a fault, but only a confirmation of its temperament.”

It is also well known that owners of wolf hybrids often mislabel their dogs as a husky or malamute-mix to evade detection.

To state that dog breeds (like Pitbulls, Bandogs etc) which have been specifically bred for agression and fighting for centuries do not exist is self delusional IMHO. These vicious, unpredictable canine time-bombs pose a significant threat to public safety and have no place in any civilized society.

See also here.

The woman has a dead partner to prove that dangerous dog breeds do exist !

Are you familiar with a breed called Fila Brasileiro, who posess a trait called "ojeriza" which can be translated loosely into an intense dislike or hatred for strangers ?.

It is also well known that owners of wolf hybrids often mislabel their dogs as a husky or malamute-mix to evade detection.

To state that dog breeds (like Pitbulls, Bandogs etc) which have been specifically bred for agression and fighting for centuries do not exist is self delusional IMHO. These vicious, unpredictable canine time-bombs pose a significant threat to public safety and have no place in any civilized society.

See also here.

I don't want to derail the thread but I have been owning & rescuing dogs for most of my life. There is not a shred of scientific evidence to back up your claim & masses that opposes it. The most recent is the book by Professor John Bradshaw of Bristol University entitled In Defence of Dogs. It is the culmination of over 20 years of studying dogs & is one of the most comprehensive studies to date.

Wolf Hybrids are incredible rare. Most people that think that they have one were conned. Even so Wolves are not naturally aggressive. One of Professor Bradshaw's finding is that we have totally misunderstood Wolf behaviour & this is backed up by the amazing work done by Shaun Ellis.

One of the "time bombs" that you refer to ended up in a Galway rescue. You can read about it & more on the dangerous dogs debate here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587405

Briefly the BBC Panorama program bought a Pitbull puppy that, according to the seller, had been specifically bred for aggression & fighting. Because the breed is banned in the UK the dog ended up at East Galway Animal Rescue - needless to say it isn't in the least bit aggressive.

Even the UK are now planning to abolish their law banning certain breeds & instead focus on irresponsible owners. The US statistics that you quote have been totally debunked many times but, according to a big survey of American Vets, they get bitten more by Chihuahuas than any other breed.

My concern is that this unfortunate lady has been badly misinformed or has come to the wrong conclusion as to who was to blame for her husband's death. Maybe on her travels she will meet some dog behaviourists, trainers, Vets or rescues that will be able to convince her that the dogs were not to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's a fact that some breeds are better with humans than others. Just the way they are, like some breeds are more skittish (Greyhounds, Borzai etc), or boisterous than others.

I've met lovely pitbulls and huskies, but there are way more incidences of attacks with certain breeds than others. Dogs have personalities too, people forget this. They also pick up on human moods. I don't blame the dogs per se, people don't know how to handle certain breeds, give them enough exercise etc. I think this woman will learn a lot on her walk, and hopefully it will ease her pain and trauma. I don't think her walk is to damn these breeds per se, but raise awareness. Awareness is not judgemental in itself and I don't see harm in that either way if people get a rounded opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I also own and love my dogs, and like the Lady with the donkey I have no time for the 'sociopathic' breeds and those who use them as weapons.

I notice you skirted around Fila Brasileiro.. a disgraceful breed bred to kill or mame people.

Its very hard to argue with the body count and danger posed to the young and the elderly by certain breeds mentioned here.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's a fact that some breeds are better with humans than others. Just the way they are, like some breeds are more skittish (Greyhounds, Borzai etc), or boisterous than others.

I own a Greyhound & I have met dozens of others. I have never met one that is skittish - they are the most laid back dogs on the planet.
    I've met lovely pitbulls and huskies, but there are way more incidences of attacks with certain breeds than others.

Because they tend to attract the wrong kind of owners. People who want a guard dog or weapon dog are bound to choose a breed that has the potential to harm & makes people fearful.
    I don't think her walk is to damn these breeds per se, but raise awareness. Awareness is not judgemental in itself and I don't see harm in that either way if people get a rounded opinion.

Unfortunately she did refer to dangerous breeds & made no mention of irresponsible owners. My genuine concern would be that she will meet a lot of dogs on her journey & many will be unaccompanied. Her understandable fear of dogs could increase the likelihood of being bitten.

I also own and love my dogs, and like the Lady with the donkey I have no time for the 'sociopathic' breeds and those who use them as weapons.

I notice you skirted around Fila Brasileiro.. a disgraceful breed bred to kill or mame people.

Its very hard to argue with the body count and danger posed to the young and the elderly by certain breeds mentioned here.

I haven't skirted around - I totally dismiss it ! A breed made by man for a purpose - how can the dog be to blame for that ?

It's very easy to argue against dog bite statistics because they take no account of the upbringing of the dog. More black people are imprisoned in America than white people. Does that mean that black people are bred to be criminals ?

By the way what breeds do you own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I own a Greyhound & I have met dozens of others. I have never met one that is skittish - they are the most laid back dogs on the planet.

Well that's a completely different experience to mine then, and growing up with a family friend a breeder, with two friends who own them. Same with Borzais (sp?) Russian hounds. Tend to be a bit whiny, lovely but whiny. There's a reason why so many families have labs for pets, not greyhounds or pitbulls, don't you think? It's not the cuteness factor, pitbulls are lovely. It's just what's *easier* to start off with - not saying pitbulls can't be lovely companions, I know they can.
    Because they tend to attract the wrong kind of owners. People who want a guard dog or weapon dog are bound to choose a breed that has the potential to harm & makes people fearful.

I'm confused, you're saying that the nice huskies and pitbulls I know have the wrong kind of owners? Are we not generalising now in the same way about humans? The huskies I know are lovely. But dogs sense fear from people. If people (whether instinct or bad press) fear a breed, that will have it's own knock on effect. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately she did refer to dangerous breeds & made no mention of irresponsible owners. My genuine concern would be that she will meet a lot of dogs on her journey & many will be unaccompanied. Her understandable fear of dogs could increase the likelihood of being bitten.

So are you saying all unaccompanied dogs are equally dangerous? I think we should cut the woman some slack here after what happened in her life. A bit of common sense. I am sure she will meet some lovely dogs. Any dogs unaccompanied that bite her *are* a danger, so we're not arguing there.

• Advertisement

There's a reason why so many families have labs for pets, not greyhounds or pitbulls, don't you think? It's not the cuteness factor, pitbulls are lovely. It's just what's *easier* to start off with - not saying pitbulls can't be lovely companions, I know they can.

Plenty of people get bitten by Labradors. People choose breeds for all sorts of reasons but in my experience dogs reflect their owners rather than their breed. My current three are different breeds but their characters are pretty similar. All three were literally rescued from the streets & came straight to me without warning.
    I'm confused, you're saying that the nice huskies and pitbulls I know have the wrong kind of owners? Are we not generalising now in the same way about humans? The huskies I know are lovely. But dogs sense fear from people. If people (whether instinct or bad press) fear a breed, that will have it's own knock on effect.

No of course not. Many Husky, Pitbull & every other breed owners are good & responsible. But it is logical that someone who wants a dog to use as a weapon or for protection won't choose a Labrador. So many Pitbulls end up with owners that have them for the wrong reasons.
    So are you saying all unaccompanied dogs are equally dangerous? I think we should cut the woman some slack here after what happened in her life. A bit of common sense. I am sure she will meet some lovely dogs. Any dogs unaccompanied that bite her *are* a danger, so we're not arguing there.

Again no I am not but all unaccompanied dogs are not under effective control & can pose a threat to someone with a donkey. I can't walk my dogs far without someone's dog rushing out of the drive barking. The dogs are only potentially dangerous because of their owners - it has nothing to do with their breed.

I would certainly sympathise with her situation & hopefully she will meet some lovely Pitbulls & realise that it was the owner that was at fault, not the dogs.

Advertisement