Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl & Donkey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog, I agree with you on some points (like the total demonising of pitbulls being wrong) and disagree on others (like the propensity of some breeds to be naturally more docile/agressive/skittish/wimpy whatever over others). But this thread is about someone who has lost a loved one. She is travelling with a donkey, yes. Hopefully she or her donkey will not get attacked by dogs on the way. Hopefully she will get some peace out of all this, whether it is by the walk itself, or losing some of her fear. Either way, she lost her partner, and hopefully people she meets, no matter what their dog agenda will be gentle with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

inisboffin wrote: »
    Hopefully she or her donkey will not get attacked by dogs on the way. Hopefully she will get some peace out of all this, whether it is by the walk itself, or losing some of her fear. Either way, she lost her partner, and hopefully people she meets, no matter what their dog agenda will be gentle with her.

I am sure that they will & many will be unaware of her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

0004f7c2-500.jpg

Link to a heartbreaking radio documentary from RTE Radio 1 on Maurice and Agnieszka’s story…

Maurice - A Final Journey

This is a story of life and death - of a man, his partner and his family. Maurice Sullivan left his home in Galway for Malaysia in August 2010, never to return…

On the day that Maurice died, Agnieszka was promised that the dogs would be put down within ten days. Six months later, they were still alive. The attack, the plight of the dogs, and the legal fighting that followed have since been making headlines in the Malaysian media.

This is the story of Maurice's life and death as we trace his footsteps before that fateful morning, and how his family have struggled over the past year to get the dogs involved in the fatal attack put down.

I downloaded a podcast of this & I haven't heard it yet but it does seem strange that she is still focussing on getting the dogs killed. From what I have read the Malaysian government handled the assessment of the dogs in a professional way - much better than we would of done. Surely we need to discover why the dogs attacked - you can't do that if they are dead.

What has been said is that the dogs were kept as guard dogs. Many people get attacked because the dog, that has been trained to guard, finds it hard to differentiate between those it should bite & those that it should befriend. It is asking a great deal from any dog to expect it to be able to make those choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    but it does seem strange that she is still focussing on getting the dogs killed..

Really? This seems strange to you? It seems like a very natural response from someone who saw her partner mauled to death by these dogs. None of us are in her shoes. Even people who are strongly anti death penalty for humans in general often struggle with their own morals if someone close to them is killed. Right or wrong is one thing but I don't think it strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It is laughable how the press turns nearly every dog attack into Pit Bull attacks.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20110111-257515.html

>> ASIAONE / NEWS / ASIAONE NEWS / MALAYSIA / STORY

Tue, Jan 11, 2011
    The Star/Asia News Network

Two dogs that killed tourist will not be put to sleep yet

GEORGE TOWN, Malaysia - The two mongrels that attacked an Irishman have been placed at the Balik Pulau veterinary department for observation. The dogs will not be put to sleep yet.

State Veterinary Department director Dr Wan Mohd Kamil Wan Nik said they would monitor the canines for 10 days to check if they had any dangerous diseases such as rabies.

A team comprising 10 veterinary personnel and two policemen picked up the two-year-old dogs, a male and a female named Lee and Ning respectively, from the organic farm in Teluk Bahang at about 2pm yesterday.

"We will not put the dogs to sleep at the moment. We have no authority to do so as this is now a police case," said Dr Wan Mohd Kamil.

On Sunday, Irish tourist Maurice Sullivan, 50, died after he was mauled by the dogs at about 10am.

Dr Wan Mohd Kamil said that once the observation period was over, he would write to the police on the next course of action.

He said nothing would be done to the two other dogs at the farm.

Balik Pulau OCPD Supt Mohd Hatta Mohd Zain said the 41-year-old farm owner is being investigated under Section 289 of the Penal Code for negligence with respect to animals.

He said they had recorded statements from relevant parties, adding that the investigation was expected to be completed by this week.

Separately, dog lovers want owners to be more responsible about pet care.

"Owners should be well-informed and educated before they are given the licence to keep pets," said Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association president Anthony Thanasayan.

He is also a councillor of the Petaling Jaya City Council and Canine Advisory Team (CAT) chairman.

Thanasayan said dogs usually acted according to the owner's instructions, or from how their masters treated them.

The Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better canine welfare organisation urged the Department of Veterinary Services to investigate the living conditions and the kind of treatment previously received by the two dogs.

"The department should also find out if the dogs had a mix of the pit bull breed, which is banned in Malaysia for its ferocious streak," said coordinator Christine Lai.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heard about her on the radio this morning, apparently on her way out to Connemara and was looking for horseshoes for the donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I would be of the opinion that the owners are to blame more than the dogs.
    But regardless of that I fail to see the logic of dragging a poor donkey around Ireland to highlight the fact that she was attacked by dogs in Malaysia or whatever. Don't think its fair on the donkey to be honest.

EGAR wrote: »
    It is laughable how the press turns nearly every dog attack into Pit Bull attacks.

54b022a3978a4877_2.jpg

One of the killer dogs who were described in the press as pit bull crosses.
    ""The department should also find out if the dogs had a mix of the pit bull breed, which is banned in Malaysia for its ferocious streak," said coordinator Christine Lai.

It's good to know that the Malaysians take the public safety issue from these vicious, unpredictable canine time-bombs more seriously than we do.

No offence guys but let's focus on the woman and her donkey.
    If anyone wants to discuss "dangerous" breeds then please start a thread in Animals forum.
    They can't get enough of those discussions lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

54b022a3978a4877_2.jpg

One of the killer dogs who were described in the press as pit bull crosses.

It's good to know that the Malaysians take the public safety issue from these vicious, unpredictable canine time-bombs more seriously than we do.

:cool: Nice mongrel, I see no Pit Bull. (sorry Biko, had to answer it)

Yes, I hope the donkey is fit to travel with a burden over metaled roads. I really fail to see how this raises awareness for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Manta Mad ovci

Did anyone manage to get a picture of this woman on her journey.

Radio documentary here
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-maurice-sullivan-attack-malaysia-dog.html
    On the morning of Sunday 9th January 2011, Frances Crowe awoke to a phone call that would change everything in her life. She received the news that her fifty-one year old brother, Maurice Sullivan, had been mauled to death by two pit bull-cross dogs, while working on a farm with his partner in Malaysia.

Maurice grew up in the Ferrybank area of Waterford City, but had been living and working in the Galway area in recent years. He was a talented craftsman and was well known in the west of Ireland for his carpentry and furniture restoration skills.

Maurice moved to Malaysia in August 2010 to build a traditional wooden house for a Malaysian friend who he had met in Galway.
    While travelling over there, Maurice and his partner Agnieszka Jablonska were hoping to gain skills in sustainable building from natural materials, as well as learning about organic farming and permaculture.
    Just after the New Year, Maurice took a break from the build. He and Agnieszka answered an advertisement on a website containing a list of farms where volunteer helpers from around the world are invited to work in exchange for food and accommodation.

On 8th of January, they travelled to Teluk Bahang on the northwest tip of Penang Island, where they were due to start work on an organic farm owned by Joseph and Beatrice Teoh. That Saturday night, they ate dinner with the couple and met their four dogs - Kang, Yin, Ning and Li.
    Maurice was planting trees on the farm the next morning when he was fatally mauled by two of the Teoh's dogs. Agnieszka helplessly witnessed the attack.

On the day that Maurice died, Agnieszka was promised that the dogs would be put down within ten days. Six months later, they were still alive. The attack, the plight of the dogs, and the legal fighting that followed have since been making headlines in the Malaysian media.
    This is the story of Maurice's life and death as we trace his footsteps before that fateful morning, and how his family have struggled over the past year to get the dogs involved in the fatal attack put down.

RIP Maurice

biko wrote: »

Having listened to it this isn't really a documentary in the sense of being an investigative program. It is a pity that RTE didn't seek some balanced opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

The woman and donkey have turned in to a Pit bull and Husky. FFS any chance these doggie gang get, they're away barking on another thread.

mattser wrote: »
    The woman and donkey have turned in to a Pit bull and Husky. FFS any chance these doggie gang get, they're away barking on another thread.

The woman has stated that she is doing the walk to raise awareness about, what she considers, are dangerous dogs & dangerous breeds. During the documentary, mentioned by Biko, she & the family repeat the dangerous dogs argument. The strange part is where she describes Maurice as a forgiving, dog loving person who would not want to seek revenge & they she keeps focussing on wanting the dogs killed - including two dogs that were locked up in a shed during the attack & played no part in it.

The attack was by dogs, she is walking to raise awareness about dogs so dogs would seem to be a pretty relevant part of the story. I agree with Biko that it shouldn't be a discussion about the perceived differences between breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

biko wrote: »
    Heard about her on the radio this morning, apparently on her way out to Connemara and was looking for horseshoes for the donkey.

Well, she made it. Saw her today on my travels. Cant say whether her donkey got shoes or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

That is heartbreaking,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Here she is on Nationwide, first article, the best of luck to her, I admire her.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10038177

It's sad that she is still talking about dangerous breeds of dogs. She says that the topic hasn't been discussed which is untrue. Many animal welfare supporters have spent years trying to get our existing outdated restricted breed laws repealed. It is a shame that her admirable, spiritual motive has to be disturbed by her obsession with dangerous dogs.

She says that she has no where to run to but forgiveness & understanding are essential in the process of reconciliation. I would be good if she can make the effort to understand that what happened had nothing to do with the breed of the dogs. Blaming the dogs isn't the way to healing.

• Advertisement

Agnieszka’s radio interview with Tubridy at the start of her healing pilgrimage.

I hope she finds peace and heals after her most shocking traumatic experience and fair play to her for bringing attention to these dangerous vicious dog breeds and our lack of action to rid our country of them... before the next tragedy happens.

I hope she finds peace and heals after her most shocking traumatic experience and fair play to her for bringing attention to these dangerous vicious dog breeds and our lack of action to rid our country of them... before the next tragedy happens.

There isn't a single expert who would agree with you. In fact the opposite is happening in that countries that have breed bans, like the UK, are proposing abandoning them because they don't work.

These tragedies are caused by irresponsible human owners & not the innocent dogs. By the way how do you define a dangerous vicious breed ? Our law should not be born of ignorant & ill informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Agnieszka’s radio interview with Tubridy at the start of her healing pilgrimage.

Spot on, Rob.

Her husband was killed by cross breeds. You are going to have to kill over half the dogs in Ireland. Wonder how you tell which one is a sweet natured family pet & which is a potential killer :rolleyes: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 strompol

Does anyone know how to contact her?

Try the local radio stations, they usually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

She was walking from Newport to Mulranny in Mayo today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Is there a film crew following her? I'd be interested in seeing the footage. I think its great. I'd love to drop everything, saddle up neidín with the tent and basic living utensils and just hit the road for a while. I guess I'm a bit of a hobo at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I am/was friends with Agnieszka and Maurice for years while they were both living around Galway. Was hoping to hook up with them on their travels abroad and had been talking to Marice a few months before tragedy struck. Very sad time. Really amazing people tho, and it was lovely to have spent some time working with Maurice. Got to talk to Agnieszka before she went on her walk of love and I'm really glad she got off to a good start.

Wish you all the best with the rest of the journey Aga!

Edit: If anyone wants me to pass on messages to her I can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

She is on Tubridy this morning and comes across as a genuine warm person,she really loves the donkey and if yee pass her stop and give her a coffee or have a chat.

Advertisement