Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards needs to advertise

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Sometimes in general conversations I might mention that I read....."whatever" on Boards and I always get this :confused: look.

"You read it where?"

Could be any age group, no one that I know, that I'd have mentioned Boards in a chat with, has ever heard of the place.

Ye need to throw an ad up someplace.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why?

Seriously google just about anything to do with Ireland and you get a result for boards.ie
    the site doesn't need to advertise and even if it did that is unlikely to ease any socially awkward situations you are having with people who don't use the internet or who only use facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

fixed your post: "I just read X over on boards.ie"

we know where you're coming from, nothing we'd like more for more people to be aware - or more importantly using boards - but we're a still a small group with very little spend to be blowing on adverts. But in fairness we've gotten far with word of mouth that we have ~60K active users per month whom post over 500k times in the same time period which isn't too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Just be aware - the more popular a site gets, the less the quality of the posts as the general populace who may not be as discussion or internet savvy arrive.

This may sound a tad elitist but it's unfortunately true. You'll have the kids with the bad grammar, the elderly with their lack of awareness and any commercial person seeing advertising thinks "Oh, I can market here" which will lead to spam.

Relish the conversations here - when the Bebo generation found it, there was trouble, but they've settled in. When the Facebookers arrived there was trouble but most of them have settled in. I'm not sure what the kids out there are now, but when they arrive, there'll be trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just be aware - the more popular a site gets, the less the quality of the posts as the general populace who may not be as discussion or internet savvy arrive.

This may sound a tad elitist but it's unfortunately true. You'll have the kids with the bad grammar, the elderly with their lack of awareness and any commercial person seeing advertising thinks "Oh, I can market here" which will lead to spam.

Relish the conversations here - when the Bebo generation found it, there was trouble, but they've settled in. When the Facebookers arrived there was trouble but most of them have settled in. I'm not sure what the kids out there are now, but when they arrive, there'll be trouble.
    Your post reminded me of this:
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You could advertise by telling people what Boards is you know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ye need to throw an ad up someplace.

sugar.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dades wrote: »
    Your post reminded me of this:
    :pac::D true, but DD makes good points. Then again, that's what evolution's all about and I've no doubt the community will adapt, some will get pissed off by that adaptation and others won't and on we go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement