Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted/Share] I need students looking for off campus accommodation in September 2012

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I will be going to ucd in September for 4 years so i am currently looking at accommodation in the area.The campus would be ideal but too costly for me.I am trying to come up with a way to reduce the costs.

For any student living off campus I think it very important to live as close by as possible for obvious reasons.

One student on his/her own looking for private accommodation off campus is difficult and costly,but a group of students looking for accommodation are much more powerful.
    There is hundreds of vacant houses in the area with the recent economic downturn and tenants have a bigger say in the renting costs.

What I want to do is start with a group of at least 5 students and start building from there..the more students we can pull together the better deals we can get.
    basically I want to eventually set up our own student community so we can make our student life's as fun and as economical as possible..but obviously I need people who are interested in the same thing!!
    I don't know where is the best place to share this idea I thought this might be a good place to start!
    please let me know what you think!
    ros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you explain what you intend to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rosmo

hey victor thanks for your reply.
    At the moment like many other prospective students I am looking for accommodation as I will be living and going to collage for the next four years in Dublin.
    I want to get in touch with other students who don't plan on living on campus or might be alone in looking for private accommodation around the collage.
    A group of people is better than one person looking for a house..it means we can choose our own house and and get a much cheaper deal.

But here is the fun part!the more people I can get involved the bigger the project becomes...one house becomes 2 houses,2 houses become a block and we have our own campus off campus!!
    That might be a little bit further down the line, a much smaller scale is more realistic to start off!!
    Eventually my main goal is this...for students who cannot afford the accommodation prices on campus or would just prefer to live off the campus to know that there is off campus alternative run for students by students that is a really fun place to live....
    thanks,Ros

I want to get in touch with other students who don't plan on living on campus or might be alone in looking for private accommodation around the collage.
    i am on my own in looking for accommodation off campus and i am certain plenty others are in the same position.why not get together and look for a place as a group.
    A group of people is better than one person looking for a house..it means we can choose our own house and and get a much cheaper deal.

But here is the fun part!the more people I can get involved the bigger the project becomes...one house becomes 2 houses,2 houses become a block and we have our own campus off campus!!
    That might be a little bit further down the line, a much smaller scale is more realistic to start off!!
    Eventually my main goal is this...for students who cannot afford the accommodation prices on campus or would just prefer to live off the campus to know that there is off campus alternative run for students by students that is a really fun place to live....
    thanks,Ros

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lol, I appreciate your enthusiasm.
    In the first instance I would suggest you contact the local Student's Union Accommodation Officer (most of the larger colleges and universities have one). They normally maintain a register of local landlords who have rented to students in the past, or who may be seeking new tenants.

Renting a house is not a minor undertaking- it will involve signing a lease, normally for a year- which very often may not have a break clause. Also many potential landlords- particularly those in proximity to many colleges and/or universities, may have had, lets call it 'interesting experiences' of students in the past- which may dampen their enthusiasm for letting to students (there is an interesting case for damages to a property in Clonskeagh at the moment, relating to an entire bus shelter being installed in a living room and damaging a solid wooden floor, walls etc- I kid you not).

Student's Union should be your first port of call- after than- well, the sky is the limit....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daoife93

Ye i'm definitely interested in this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

smccarrick wrote: »
    there is an interesting case for damages to a property in Clonskeagh at the moment, relating to an entire bus shelter being installed in a living room and damaging a solid wooden floor, walls etc- I kid you not
    Apologies for dragging thread off-topic, but there must truly be a remarkable story behind that particular incident. The mind boggles :)

On topic, OP I wouldn't necessarily share your expectation that the economic downturn will make it easy to find accommodation near a uni as the academic year approaches. There is certainly a high demand for rentals near UCD, with rents remaining stubbornly static over the last 2 years, after an initial drop from 2007 onwards. You're highly unlikely to find "hundreds of vacated houses" in the settled middle-class suburbs around the college, which are equally popular with purchasers and professional renters. You might find unoccupied properties if you go as far as Sandyford or Galloping Green, but I'm not sure that this would be the kind of location that would appeal to students. But best of luck with your endeavor.

some students saw my idea on boards and were interested so i started a small group on facebook where they can meet others looking for accommodation in the region.currently there are 10 members!
    anyone can join
    the link is
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/392531377462808/

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hopefully starting UCD in september too and finding it very difficult to find off-campus accommodation. :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement