Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many bananas?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

So, I just realized I eat a lot of bananas most days.. one in cereal at breakfast, one in a smoothie, one for a snack during the day, possibly one or two in the evening if im hungry. So at least 3 most days. I kicked off on a fruit junket a year or so ago and this is where I've landed. Who knows about food here, is that bad for you, and why/why not? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Doubt it's actually bad for you. If it's grown, swims, flys or roams around it's usually safe to assume it's good for you. IIRC, bananas have cause a higher insulin spike than most fruits so I guess this is one of the things to watch for when eating them. I doubt 3 a day would be doing you any harm but I'd be interested to hear if people have a different take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well your getting plenty of magnesium and potassium with three a day!! The only thing i can think of is that your digestive system may have difficulty breaking them down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It depends...

If you're training loads and not gaining weight, probably ok.

BUT there's a lot of kcals there that could be used to take in a wider array of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Something like trail mix or a small handful of nuts would be a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Depends on how ripe they are. Very ripe ones are very high in simple sugars and give a high GI hit.

tunney wrote: »
    Depends on how ripe they are. Very ripe ones are very high in simple sugars and give a high GI hit.

On the other hand

Underripe bananas are a problem as they contain resistant starch which the body has difficulty breaking down and digesting. What happens is the undigested starch goes into the large intestines which can sometimes cause pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kip d

You should check out 'Durianrider' aka Harley Johnstone, as a raw vegan advocate he runs 30bananasaday.com. He regularly wins his local 5k races and is competitive in bike races on an 11kg bamboo frame bike eating only bananas and a small amount of nuts and greens. He also publishes his blood tests online and is star of the 'sh1t cyclists say' youtube video (Australian version)

As a 100% raw vegan, Harley has won 24-hour solo mountain bike races, completed many marathons and half marathons, cycled all over the globe, and raced bicycles in Europe. Having raced and trained with Olympic gold medalists, Tour of Italy riders, and Tour de France winners including Lance Armstrong and Oscar Pereiro, Harley continues to compete at the national level in Australian road and ultra-endurance races. He aims to win his first ultramarathon in Adelaide, Australia this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kip d wrote: »
    You should check out 'Durianrider' aka Harley Johnstone, as a raw vegan advocate he runs 30bananasaday.com. He regularly wins his local 5k races and is competitive in bike races on an 11kg bamboo frame bike eating only bananas and a small amount of nuts and greens. He also publishes his blood tests online and is star of the 'sh1t cyclists say' youtube video (Australian version)

As a 100% raw vegan, Harley has won 24-hour solo mountain bike races, completed many marathons and half marathons, cycled all over the globe, and raced bicycles in Europe. Having raced and trained with Olympic gold medalists, Tour of Italy riders, and Tour de France winners including Lance Armstrong and Oscar Pereiro, Harley continues to compete at the national level in Australian road and ultra-endurance races. He aims to win his first ultramarathon in Adelaide, Australia this month.

N=1

How many omnivores are winning the major endurance races? One person doing the opposite proves that it CAN be done, not that it should be, or is optimal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kip d

How many omnivores are winning the major endurance races? One person doing the opposite proves that it CAN be done, not that it should be, or is optimal![/QUOTE]

Of course its not optimal, apart from anything else you'd die of boredom. I was just trying to illustrate that three or four bananas a day isn't going to kill you or slow you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »

They aint good for the blood sugars of diabetics, they tend to spike my blood. But its ok if i'm on a long cycle as they will be used up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

30g of carbs in a banana i believe.

• Advertisement

30g of carbs in a banana i believe.

Yes but what type of carbs, just using the term carbs can be misleading. It can be fibre, complex sugar, natural sugar. All have different uses in the body and are broken down differently.

When i'm eating anything the 1st time i look at is the carbs and then the sugars contained in those carbs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On the other hand

Underripe bananas are a problem as they contain resistant starch which the body has difficulty breaking down and digesting. What happens is the undigested starch goes into the large intestines which can sometimes cause pain.

These are the ones I tend to eat. Usually eat 3 or so a day myself - handy snack.

30 bananas a day seems a bit extreme...

These are the ones I tend to eat. Usually eat 3 or so a day myself - handy snack.

30 bananas a day seems a bit extreme...

I believe under ripe bananas have also been found to cause flatulence, care to enlighten us there RQ:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I believe under ripe bananas have also been found to cause flatulence, care to enlighten us there RQ:)

Ladies don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Yes but what type of carbs, just using the term carbs can be misleading. It can be fibre, complex sugar, natural sugar. All have different uses in the body and are broken down differently.

When i'm eating anything the 1st time i look at is the carbs and then the sugars contained in those carbs.

One thing that i dont understand and u might be able to answer the average can of coke has 35g of sugar bottle of lucozade 50g mountain dew 60 g.......and a bowl of cereal on average has 30g....of that 30g it says only 16g sugar(whats the other 14)....so are cans of coke twice as bad as a bowl of cereal.

One thing that i dont understand and u might be able to answer the average can of coke has 35g of sugar bottle of lucozade 50g mountain dew 60 g.......and a bowl of cereal on average has 30g....of that 30g it says only 16g sugar(whats the other 14)....so are cans of coke twice as bad as a bowl of cereal.

I'm only a year into my trip so its all new to me as well !

Coke is made with corn syrup so its mainly fructose, others drinks are made with cane sugar. Coke did this to get out of contracts with bottlers where the prices paid was linked to the price of sugar..........remove sugar and you control the price;)

The cereal will have other forms of carbs including fibre

This should help explain

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Coke is made with corn syrup so its mainly fructose,

Only in the US, afaik. High fructose corn syrup in everything over there

RayCun wrote: »
    Only in the US, afaik. High fructose corn syrup in everything over there

Sorry yeah,

I try to get imported coke if i need it for an energy source thats not cane sugar based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sorry yeah,

I try to get imported coke if i need it for an energy source thats not cane sugar based.

Isn't there laws against that? ;)

RedB wrote: »
    Isn't there laws against that? ;)

ssssshhhhhhhhhh:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement