Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to 301 or not to 301 - that is thee question....

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Need some expert knowledge. I had some products on my site and they have been indexed by Google. Now the products are unavailable and there respective pages have been deleted, so in Google they appear as 404 errors. What redirect method is best practice to avoid been penalised by Google? I want to redirect all broken links either to alternative products or back to the homepage. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Put the product page back up and just put a note on the page to say that it's currently out of stock. Suggest alternatives.

If you really can't do that, then 301 redirect the page to a new version of the product, or the category page, or in worst case the homepage. But keeping the page in place is a far better solution for the visitor/customer and your SERPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

As Trojan says, show out of stock or an unavailable message, also use it as an opportunity to show referential products.

Advertisement