Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute for Bread and Potatoes

• 20-06-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Im trying to cut out bread and potatoes from my diet but not sure what to replace them with. I was told to try brown bread and baked poatoes but im not sure. Is their any healthier substitute for either as i try increase my weightloss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You dont have to substitute the bread for a better type of bread or spud for a better spud. Just stop eating bread and spuds and make up the calories ya need with some nice healthy veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Or else just eat bread.

Calories in < Calories out is the ONLY thing that matters in weightloss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

lynchy101 wrote: »
    Or else just eat bread.

....And usually people reduce calories by not eating bread.

It also helps with bloated bellys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭meijin

It is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Or else just eat bread.

Can't agree. Anecdotal but, I didn't start to see proper weight loss until I cut out bread, rice, pasta and all other starchy carbs. Drop them, replace with cauliflower, brocolli, spinach and any other leafy vegetables and it'll fly off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Cauliflower mash is my new favourite thing instead of potatoes. Add a little garlic and a little butter and its lovely.

I've also cut out bread and potatoes (and sugar and all processed food) and the difference I feel is well worth it. I wouldn't bother replacing them tbh, just cut them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

@dorgasm

That's because carbs are generally very calorie-dense. Vegetables are generally very low in calories by comparison, so of course you saw the weight drop off. If you consumed the same calories by eating vegetables as you did eating carbs then you wouldn't lose the weight. Similarly if you had reduced your carb intake so that you're only consuming as many calories as you currently do with veg, then you'd have lost the weight.

It's probably not as filling to have 1 potato as it is to have a load of brocolli though! So while it is ultimately about calorie consumption and metabolism, other factors are at play too, which mean it might make sense for one person to cut out carbs, someone else might be able to just eat smaller servings.

Nope that's the thing you see. I started trying to lose weight in October, starting at 128kg. I managed to lose about 3kg just from the deficit but I plateaud and went off the rails because I wasn't seeing results for weeks and weeks. Then I read about low carb, high fat from this forum and I started with that. I was using myfitnesspal during both attempts. I was running the same calorie deficit as I was both times. It's also worth noting that I was very bloated and sluggish while eating carbs. I don't replace the carbs with just veg. I have eggs, cheese, mayo, peanut/almond butter, nuts etc. These are thing I couldn't use in my diet while eating carbs as they are very calorie dense and I'd have exceeded my fat macros too. I find these much tastier and filling than a few slices of bread or pasta. On top of all this, I'm now down to 115kg and I'm still losing it at a good rate.

Like I said, it's anecdotal so what works for me (and many, many others too) may not work for some but I can honestly say that cutting out the carbs and processed crap is the best decision I've ever made with my diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Iceberg lettuce is a good subsitute for bread, use if for wraps. Ryvitas are very lightweight so look and feel substantial next to the same weight of bread, while they have similar energy values.
    Dave! wrote: »
    If you consumed the same calories by eating vegetables as you did eating carbs then you wouldn't lose the weight.
    Have you seen any studies on this? Calories are an energy measure, they are just an estimate of what energy humans get from them.

There was a study showing you would put on more fat eating 500kcal of sugar per day Vs 500kcal of alcohol. I find this true anecdotally. I used to take in massive calories in alcohol and not put on the theoretical fat levels I have seen quoted (e.g. 1lb of fat per excess 3500kcal).

Also if you eat 500kcal of raw rice you do not get the same energy from it as 500kcal of overcooked rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Cut out all bread, even brown bread. They break down too quickly, cause your blood sugar to spike and so your body stores up the extra energy as fat(once the muscles get full, which is quickly). this is even if youve eaten nothing all day!

So yeah, how do you get full eating without bread and spuds?

My top tips would be:

1 - eat more meat. EG if your sandwich is now a salad, add in more meat. Fills you up and protein is excellent.
    2 - Lettuce - Lots and lots. Works if you like the tatse. I love iceberg lettuce.
    3 - Cauliflower and broccoli. Very Very filling. Again, the taste is what will make or break it.
    4 - if you HAVE to have potatoes, go for sweet potatoes. Taste better and break down slower. Fairly widely available these days.

I gave up postatoes and bread a few months back. Awkward at the start but its no problem at all now.
    If its for pure weight loss, might I suggest also giving up dairy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Cut out all bread, even brown bread. They break down too quickly, cause your blood sugar to spike and so your body stores up the extra energy as fat(once the muscles get full, which is quickly). this is even if youve eaten nothing all day!

So yeah, how do you get full eating without bread and spuds?

My top tips would be:

1 - eat more meat. EG if your sandwich is now a salad, add in more meat. Fills you up and protein is excellent.
    2 - Lettuce - Lots and lots. Works if you like the tatse. I love iceberg lettuce.
    3 - Cauliflower and broccoli. Very Very filling. Again, the taste is what will make or break it.
    4 - if you HAVE to have potatoes, go for sweet potatoes. Taste better and break down slower. Fairly widely available these days.

I gave up postatoes and bread a few months back. Awkward at the start but its no problem at all now.
    If its for pure weight loss, might I suggest also giving up dairy?

Male 24 and 5:5 height. Weight 11st 11 and b.m.i 27.4. Looking to get down to ideal weigt of 10st 5.

Breakfast.
    Ham and Cheese sandwhich.
    Bowl of Crunchy Nuts no milk or sugar.
    Tea low fat milk half spoon of sugar.

Lunch.
    Ham and Cheese sandwhich.
    Tin of Tuna in brine and apple or banana.
    Small tin of beans and bit of fruit.

Dinner.
    Oven chips, baked potatoes, or potatoes with veg.
    Steak
    Fish Mackrel or smoked Haddock.
    Breast of Chicken on the bone.

Not the biggest fan of vegetables but eat them. Trying to add more fruit to the diet. Biggest problem is probably on the weekend going out having a few saturday night and probably a few drinks sunday.

For today had a 30 minute walk. 25 minute cycle and 60 mins of 5 a side. Have weights and looking to ease into that for weight loss.

Had a vitiman c tablet with a half bowl of cruncy nut and no milk or sugar also a cup of tea.
    Then a food vitiman supplement and a small tin of beans and a banana.
    For dinner 2 baked potatoes peas and a chicken breast on te bone with gravy.
    Tonight a slice of toast and cup of tea.

Im sure this can be improved on but it can be worse. Say yesterday had a sandwhich for lunch and breakfast.

Diet is probably terrible and the drink i presume is whats slowing any results. Any advice welcome im sure i am probably doing alot wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ryvita rice cakes or rice,it does help you lose weight but watch the portions,although it is less fatty less carbohydrate that turns into glycogen that turns into fat,so you store less when you eat these things - but dont finish the whole pack of rice cakes though watch the calorie intake,the great thing about the rice cakes i buy is they tell you how many calories per pack

get rid of the crunchy nut cornflakes my man! Sugar is ridiculously high in those. If you have time, eat eggs.

Nice bit of bread there with all the sandwiches too. If you can cut down on that do i.e. salad for lunch.

And yeah, like the rest of us, the booze and everything that goes with it can be a killer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you can get low cal booze but yeah be careful everything is portions for me chocolate and bread is the killer,i have to give up chocolate im off the bread for over a month now,sometimes when i get a bit pecky i do have some but i only limit myself to two slices a day,and its all rice cakes,and rice and ryvita all the way - it does work!

my killer is booze and hangover days. hangover days i eat chinese, breakfast rolls, wedges, all the stupid stuff. during the week im like a monk, salmon salads, boiled chicken for lunch.

if i gave up the sauce id be killing it! but no booze = no ladies for me!!

my killer is booze and hangover days. hangover days i eat chinese, breakfast rolls, wedges, all the stupid stuff. during the week im like a monk, salmon salads, boiled chicken for lunch.

Two problems you must work on so :P

If I must drink, I have a few Corona light or else Cpt Morgans with Fanta Zero. The Corona isn't ideal but I'll usually leave room to still hit a calorie deficit on days I do drink. I've cut the quantities hugely though and it does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Bit surprised that a lot of people are against eating the humble spud. As far as I'm concerned it's a locally sourced whole food that is as natural as they come. Pulling it from the ground, washing the soil from it and cutting it up myself in the kitchen feels as healthy as eating it along with my locally sourced or homegrown veggies. I just make sure I dont eat it in processed wedges, chips or waffles. I also don't overload my plate with it or do a sheperds pie with a mash side. The veggies and meat usually take up more space with a bit of spud on the side! Home made sheperds pie with a load of veg on the side seems good to me.

It was interesting to read an article about Keoghs potatoes recently and that consumption of potatoes has fallen massively with the Atkins diet and the fact they are somewhat unfashionable. Replaced by pasta and foccacia etc etc which are a poor substitute.

Anyway I am going to defend the potato with the soil still fresh on it pulled from the ground. Just quit the processed forms and processed breads and you're on a winner. Eat whole foods from nature! Simple as.

Bit surprised that a lot of people are against eating the humble spud. As far as I'm concerned it's a locally sourced whole food that is as natural as they come. Pulling it from the ground, washing the soil from it and cutting it up myself in the kitchen feels as healthy as eating it along with my locally sourced or homegrown veggies. I just make sure I dont eat it in processed wedges, chips or waffles. I also don't overload my plate with it or do a sheperds pie with a mash side. The veggies and meat usually take up more space with a bit of spud on the side! Home made sheperds pie with a load of veg on the side seems good to me.

It was interesting to read an article about Keoghs potatoes recently and that consumption of potatoes has fallen massively with the Atkins diet and the fact they are somewhat unfashionable. Replaced by pasta and foccacia etc etc which are a poor substitute.

Anyway I am going to defend the potato with the soil still fresh on it pulled from the ground. Just quit the processed forms and processed breads and you're on a winner. Eat whole foods from nature! Simple as.

People on Atkins definitely would not replace potatoes with pasta. I reckon potatoes aren't as popular since there is a lot bigger choice of foods since the days of eating ten spuds a day!

Nobody is even remotely suggesting to replace potatoes with pasta :confused:
    especially not if they're aiming for low carb

eat loads of veggies op

bluewolf wrote: »
    Nobody is even remotely suggesting to replace potatoes with pasta :confused:
    especially not if they're aiming for low carb

I never implied people were suggesting that. What I did say was what the article I read about Keoghs Potatoes mentioned that the potatoe was less popular...ie the whole trendier italian breads and pasta with a cappucino had become more popular than the potatoe in the last 10 years. Try eating lunch in any standard cafe in town and its hard to get beyond that type of lunch fare on offer.

• Advertisement

@bluewolf, I was referring to this paragraph from the post above. Not sure if that was a reply to me or not though.

dorgasm wrote: »
    @bluewolf, I was referring to this paragraph from the post above. Not sure if that was a reply to me or not though.

no it was squeaks sorry about lazy non quoting...:)

Just to clarify this sentence. I didnt say people on Atkins were replacing spuds with pasta. I did say that along with the whole atkins thing potatoes had also become unfashionable and were being replaced by other 'more trendy' carbs if you know what I mean!

Anyway, it's not too important really. Personally, I'm going to eat my home grown pulled from the earth spuds in moderation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing wrong with spuds and red meat at all. It's the large quantities that cause the problems. Eat 5 small meals per day of whatever you fancy and do a bit of exercise. Remember that your stomach is only the size of your closed fist.

I thought that was a rough guideline on how big the heart is? AFAIK and I'm open to correction, the stomach has ~1 litre capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Well, I'm a lady and I would have a lot more respect for a man who does not drink than a man who is downing pints all night.

I don't mean to sound harsh but please don't think you're a 'monk' throughout the week and that you are serious about dieting, because that is simply untrue. If you were fully dedicated, you would not be getting drunk and having hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I don't mean to sound harsh but please don't think you're a 'monk' throughout the week and that you are serious about dieting, because that is simply untrue. If you were fully dedicated, you would not be getting drunk and having hangovers.

Yeah because if you are to fully dedicated you can have no rest days, no off days and no you days. You must be 100% all the time. No excuses. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

reprazant wrote: »
    Yeah because if you are to fully dedicated you can have no rest days, no off days and no you days. You must be 100% all the time. No excuses. Ever.

He says that during the week, he is like a 'monk'. I think that it is a reasonable inference to suggest that at the weekend he drinks so much that he has a hangover. So no, hangovers every week is not great when you're trying to lose weight, wouldn't you agree?

reprazant wrote: »

And you can't even think about chocolate. That adds 10lbs instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

He says that during the week, he is like a 'monk'. I think that it is a reasonable inference to suggest that at the weekend he drinks so much that he has a hangover. So no, hangovers every week is not great when you're trying to lose weight, wouldn't you agree?

It completely depends on what his training regime is.

It is more than possible to lose weight while drinking on the weekends if your training regime and diet are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And you can't even think about chocolate. That adds 10lbs instantly.

Dark chocolate is not nearly as bad for you they say. Aldi do a lovely dark wholenut which i eat in moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

It's all about moderation... booze (if you make more sensible choices than endless pints), a few spuds and a small amount of chocolate are all perfectly possible to fit into a weight loss regime if you watch overall calories in vs. calories out.

Trying to be a "monk" 100% of the time will only lead to binging and screw you up in the end.

OP, I suggest you load your fridge with tasty-but-healthier breakfast options on a Friday evening to counteract the breakfast roll problem. Get some seriously high quality black pudding or sausages from a real butcher, grill it and have it with eggs; or a piece of wholemeal toast if the carb demons are really bad. Will probably clock in around 400 cals but a breakfast roll could be double that.

And ditch drinking beer if you can. Spirits with diet mixers might attract a few comments from your mates at first but you'll be laughing all the way to the thin bank in a few months. :D

monklike monday-friday, then every second saturday or every third satrday I go drinking.

This obviously stes me back a bit. But yeah, everything in moderation.

Im mainly in the getting fit game to feel good about myself. Secondly is to look better for the ladies! So, those boozy Saturdays actually motivate me to work hard in the gym during the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Or else just eat bread.

People who still believe this are probably the ones who find it so hard to lose weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    People who still believe this are probably the ones who find it so hard to lose weight
    No actually, weight-loss programs that place emphasis on portion control/calorie intake tend to be more successful over a sustained period. It's not the only factor of course, but focusing on the macronutrient composition of food is like rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12684364
    There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d or less of carbohydrates. Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16389240
    Obesity is an established risk factor for numerous chronic diseases, and successful treatment will have an important impact on medical resources utilization, health care costs, and patient quality of life. With over 60% of our population being overweight, physicians face a major challenge in assisting patients in the process of weight loss and weight-loss maintenance. Low-calorie diets can lower total body weight by an average of 8% in the short term. These diets are well-tolerated and characterize successful strategies in maintaining significant weight loss over a 5-year period. Very-low-calorie diets produce a more rapid weight loss but should only be used for fewer than 16 weeks because of clinical adverse effects. Diets that are severely restricted in carbohydrates (3%-10% of total energy intake) and do not emphasize a reduction of energy intake may be effective in reducing weight in the short term, but there is no evidence that they are sustainable or innocuous in the long term because their high saturated-fat content may be atherogenic. Fat restriction in a weight-loss regimen is beneficial, but the optimal percentage has yet to be determined. Longitudinal trials are needed to resolve these issues. In this article I discuss the evidence for and pitfalls of various types of weight-loss diets and identify issues that physicians need to address in weight loss and weight-loss maintenance.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/1/222S.full
    Findings from the registry suggest six key strategies for long-term success at weight loss: 1) engaging in high levels of physical activity; 2) eating a diet that is low in calories and fat; 3) eating breakfast; 4) self-monitoring weight on a regular basis; 5) maintaining a consistent eating pattern; and 6) catching “slips” before they turn into larger regains. Initiating weight loss after a medical event may also help facilitate long-term weight control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I can cherry-pick studies too
    The Lancet: 1956
    Kekwick and Pawan, 1956[24] conducted a study of subjects consuming 1000-calorie diets, some 90% protein, some 90% fat, and some 90% carbohydrates. Those on the high fat diet lost the most, the high protein dieters lost somewhat less, and the high carbohydrate dieters actually gained weight on average
    Annals of Internal Medicine: 1965

A study conducted in 1965 at the Naval Hospital Oakland (Oakland, California) used a diet of 1000 calories per day, high in fat and limiting carbohydrates to 10 grams (40 calories) daily. Over a ten-day period, subjects on this diet lost more body fat than did a group who fasted completely (Benoit et al. 1965). Some advocates, such as Atkins, of low-carbohydrate diets have termed this the metabolic advantage of such diets.
    Harvard University: 2003

Greene et al. studied participants consuming one of three diet regimens over 12 weeks: a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet with the same number of calories, and a low-carbohydrate diet with 300 extra calories per day.[36] The researchers found that the low fat group lost 17 pounds on average, the low carbohydrate group eating the same number of calories lost 23 pounds, and the low-carbohydrate group eating more calories lost 20 pounds. In commenting on their results Greene stated

There does indeed seem to be something about a low-carb diet that says you can eat more calories and lose a similar amount of weight
    Nutrition Journal: 2004

Feinman and Fine, 2004 present an argument refuting the "calorie is a calorie" principle cited by some as an argument against the weight-loss benefits of low-carbohydrate diets.[40] The "calorie is a calorie" argument, loosely speaking, states that the laws of thermodynamics imply that calories ingested from any source are burned at the same rate in the body (meaning that, for the purposes of weight loss, all sources of calories are the same).

The paper refutes this (the argument is omitted here) stating the following in the conclusion.

Thus, ironically the dictum that a "calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics, as a matter of principle.

The authors' point is that while some have argued that there is no point in comparing the effectiveness of diets based on the sources of calories (proteins, fats, or carbohydrates), the second law of thermodynamics, specifically entropy, results in more calories from protein being burned during digestion than from ingesting either carbohydrates or fats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ok decided to try cut out potatoes and chips for a start. Would this type of dinner be ok. For example today i feel fuller than i usually would. Might try less veg next time ate loads as thought i wouldnt get full.

I had steak, an onion, a red peper, small tin of beans and good portion of the frozen mixed veg you get in supermarkets.

keep the veg. full on veg is good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saralee2

I gave up potatoes and bread (and milk) a bit over 4 months ago, and I highly recommend you try it.

I did it for the purpose of losing weight, but there are side benefits too - such as having more energy and less bloating.

Here's what I eat instead:

quinoa (quite often - it's very good for you)
    brown rice
    sweet potatoes

But I only eat these once a day. During the rest of the day I eat plenty of protein and vegetables. Chickpeas are also filling. And I also eat more nuts than I did before.

Hope that helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beanobee

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Im trying to cut out bread and potatoes from my diet but not sure what to replace them with. I was told to try brown bread and baked poatoes but im not sure. Is their any healthier substitute for either as i try increase my weightloss.

I would suggest pasta, noodles, and rice. Provided these are not fried in oils (saturated fats) they would be high in complex carbs (as opposed to simple carbs - which are the fat causing ones), protein and low in fat.

• Advertisement

beanobee wrote: »
    I would suggest pasta, noodles, and rice. Provided these are not fried in oils (saturated fats) they would be high in complex carbs (as opposed to simple carbs - which are the fat causing ones), protein and low in fat.

Seriously?

I think it would completely counter-productive to replace bread and potatoes with pasta and noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Seriously?

I think it would completely counter-productive to replace bread and potatoes with pasta and noodles.

Exactly replacing one "flour bound with water" with another "flour bound with water"

Replace bread & potatoes with vegetables & salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭meijin

Seriously?
    Well, he's Personal Trainer after all... :eek: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79453380&postcount=131 :rolleyes:

pasta, noodles, rice high in protein eh?

meijin wrote: »
    Well, he's Personal Trainer after all... :eek: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79453380&postcount=131 :rolleyes:

I just spotted that.

He's going right up there with the PT that told me not to eat for atleast 2 hours after exercising. :D

haha, dont want to be eating while youre still sweating ya know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yeah why so many haters against potatoes. My Granny's generation, and my parents probably, grew up on massive plates of the things every day, none of them were fatties. They're quite low calorie if you look at the nutritional value of them. I don't think a few baby potatoes boiled are any worse than a big portion of veggies.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dave! wrote: »
    No actually, weight-loss programs that place emphasis on portion control/calorie intake tend to be more successful over a sustained period. It's not the only factor of course, but focusing on the macronutrient composition of food is like rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

Truth is we haven't really discovered a weight-loss program that's successful over a sustained period for most people, whatever the macros.

Having said that, this little study came out recently showing that people on lower carb diets tend to have a higher resting rate metabolisms:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154

So low carb does seem to convey some kind of advantage in the 'out' part of cals in cals out. Still the equation applies, but it's certainly more nuanced. For example a protein calorie acts totally differently than a carb or fat calorie in the body.

But that doesn't mean LC works for everyone or that carbs are the reason we get fat. I'm a huge potato fan, they are the cornerstone of my weight maintenance diet. As someone else pointed out they are cheap, local, sustainable, nutritious and damn tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Yeah why so many haters against potatoes. My Granny's generation, and my parents probably, grew up on massive plates of the things every day, none of them were fatties. They're quite low calorie if you look at the nutritional value of them. I don't think a few baby potatoes boiled are any worse than a big portion of veggies.

My Grannys generation didn't lead sedentary lives like modern families. No car, most had no desk job, no running water in the house, washing machines, dishwashers, hoovers, no money for groceries etc. They spent calories walking, farming, drawing water, handwashing clothes, sweeping etc. The list goes on.

Many believe potatoes contribute to weight gain because the starch is converted to glucose in the body and causes a spike in blood sugar levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

SheFiend wrote: »

Many believe potatoes contribute to weight gain because the starch is converted to glucose in the body and causes a spike in blood sugar levels.

Excess calories cause weight gain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement