Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming and sleep/dreams

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

This is a bit weird, and I'm hopefully not the only person here who it affects :confused:

I play games like most/all people here. Sometimes a lot, sometimes none.
    I can at max maybe do 40hrs a week, and some weeks not play at all, so it's not like I am addicted in any way :)

In recent years I've had a ,....mmm....I dunno if you'd call it a problem, but basically, with certain games , when I go to bed my brain can't seem to turn off from it. And it literally takes over my thinking and sleeping.
    Often times it can be a problem, and I can't actually sleep because of it.

Games that have caused it have been BF2, Mohaa, Starcraft 2, TF2 and RockBand.
    However, games which I have played more often or as much as the above, BF3 , L4D2, Skyrim, Fifa, COD4 etc have never had the same effect.

I actually woke up 2 days ago, and my first thought was 5-S-D , (which is the key combination to build a drone in SC2) . I tend to watch more SC2 than I play.

It is at the point where I have to stop playing certain games at night and only play during the day because I can't actually sleep from it.
    TF2 was probably the worst case...than and RockBand..where I had this constant set of buttons/colours coming at me to press.

Am I the only one who gets this ?...

As before, I am not addicted to gaming , I probably played about 10 hours max this week, and none last week. But when I do this often happens, but only certain games :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

When I was working with autoCad full time I would dream in it, like you describe, I have had the same with Skyrim and other games in the past I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, I get that way about games like Tetris, Guitar Hero, Rockband etc. Never really been a problem for me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's no different than being stressed from work or another hobby / tv, like I wonder who shot Jr. and mulling over the possibilities in your head.

When you lie down at night the brain has more free time to work on planning of what to do and meet targets, be it in your job or how to be better prepared in terms of doing things in a game or solving a puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The last game related dream i had was after my renegade playthrough of Mass Effect 3 when I just couldn't bring myself to kill Mordin. In my dream, i killed the poor fecker and woke up in a sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I remember I woke up in a sweat one morning, I was Crash Bandicoot and I accidentally hit one of the TNT crates and I was stuck beside it...3...2....1....WAKE UP and fall out of bed, long time ago now.

I also used to play WoW and I had a dream that some random druid or something was trying to death grip me so I kept saying in my sleep "your the wrong class your the wrong class", was the very first night I stayed over at my gf's and she had thought I was talking about being in school or something so I just went with it haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

This used to happen me ALL THE TIME with guitar hero and rockband. My sleeping was so messed up at the time I had to stop playing the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

Recently i've been fairly regular games about DayZ... Just what you want for a blissful night's slumber!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had dreams about dayz before i even played the damn thing lol.

My cure was to actually play it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I used to dream about eve online all the bloody time think its quite normal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Same but mine are more constructive :p generally in some sort of design way, made an arse of loads of my own Arma 2 missions by letting my brain think adding more tanks was a good idea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I had a good few ones from dayz, usually involve being gunned down by a makarov when im fully kitted out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I had a good few ones from dayz, usually involve being gunned down by a makarov when im fully kitted out

That's not a dream, that's a nightmare :D

I haven't had them lately from games - more from a particular TV shows or movie I may have watched before going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I used to have a very hard time sleeping after a heavy night's gaming. It still happens me from time to time, but not half as often as it used to. I just to go to mys sister's place back in the old PS1 days for a few games of Tekken with her and her mates. We always played on a winner-stays-on basis. Since the rest of them just knew a few moves here and there, but I played a hell of a lot of it, I pretty much spent the night beating up everyone. So I was constantly watching my one character pull out the same moves over and over and over.

When I was trying to sleep then, this would be all I could see. The fights would repeat ion my head, and random fights would also accour as I tried to get some kip. Over and over, the same punches and KO screens. Any time this happened, I'd never feel like I'd actually slept. I'd wake up the next day with what I call a video game hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

It's called the Tetris effect and it drives me bloody mental.

Another thing that happens to me now and then is dreaming the solution to a puzzle, it used to happen all the time with Zelda when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

In a lot of the above, people seem to actually get to sleep and dream of the games.
    Half my problem is getting to sleep in the first place because the game keeps taking over my thoughts when trying to sleep.

Deathrider described it well with
    When I was trying to sleep then, this would be all I could see. Any time this happened, I'd never feel like I'd actually slept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

For a period of several months, I saw nothing whenever I closed my eyes but Meteos.

The Gnome wrote: »
    It's called the Tetris effect and it drives me bloody mental.

Another thing that happens to me now and then is dreaming the solution to a puzzle, it used to happen all the time with Zelda when I was young.

The Tetris Effect, eh? It's like Freddy Krueger for gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I happens me quite regularly, and I like it. Stops me thinking about real life problems! If I'm tired enough, I'll drift off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Happened again last night.

Went to be at 1am, when I checked my clock it was 2.30am and I still couldn't sleep , I had to put on a "podcast" to get my mind off it and try fall asleep to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I had dreams after playing Gears of War for two days solid pretty much, I woke up thinking the little screamers were crawling over me, was playing it with my neighbour on the co-op and he was the same.

I dream of CoD alot too mainly when I have been playing for a few hours just before bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

It used to happen a lot during a time when I spent a lot of time playing WoW. Most of the time Shadow Fiends came out of the roads, and in just about every dream there would be bars to show who's friendly and who isn't and very often I would be in game-like fights in my dreams.

Lately this has happened to LoL where I tend to get to level up some random four abilities during a dream and have LoL gamemechanic features in an office or supermarket setting. One time I got to dress up Janna, which went on for hours (I dreamed sitting at a computer getting her a new outfit designed) and then afterwards make out with her. Actually quite funny but disturbing none the less. I tend to stop playing a game for a while when it happens and it normally fades away after a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Most of my gaming is done late at night right before bed and I get this big time and like yourself different games tend to cause the brain to take longer to switch off.

The absolute worst offender lately has been HoN. Any kind of long session before bed and I could forget about sleeping for at least 2 hours so I had to stop and wind down before trying to sleep.

Funnily enough some games have had the opposite affect and strangely they tended to be survival horror games like Silent Hill, Dead Space and Amnesia. You would think they would be sleep killers if anything but I would be straight to sleep. Although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ya used to happen to me too, so much worse when playing hours of Bomberman or Rockband, and you would see nothing but colours when trying to sleep then.

Now if I am going to bed at 12, I stop playing at 11. Definitely can't turn off a game and jump into bed, never gonna sleep then.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Happened again last night.

Went to be at 1am, when I checked my clock it was 2.30am and I still couldn't sleep , I had to put on a "podcast" to get my mind off it and try fall asleep to that.

Had a belt of it myself last night too, but it was nothing too harsh. I played a fair amount yesterday, and then hopped straight into bed. I usually spend an hour or two unwinding with a movie, or mooching through youtube, or whatever before I hit the hay, and this usually stops this from happening, because my mind's focused on something else.. Last night though, I played till it was simply too late when I finished playing, and I simply didn't have the enegy to stay up for another hour or two watching stuff/reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Only game that really messed with my head was WoW... honestly.. that game can (At least in the earlier expansions) **** you up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

If I play a game for a few hours before bed and get really caught up in it then the chances of dreaming about it are higher then normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Magill wrote: »
    Only game that really messed with my head was WoW... honestly.. that game can (At least in the earlier expansions) **** you up !

Ya,WoW is the one game I played, where I got pretty addicted. Had something like 180 hours over 20 days, and dreamt about the game. Never went near it again

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

On a Pro Evo PS2 master league, I literally woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming of a Duncan Ferguson goal I had scored, it was a fantastic strike outside the box. I think I was considering dropping him at the time but I couldn't after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

When I was working with autoCad full time I would dream in it, like you describe, I have had the same with Skyrim and other games in the past I am sure.

AutoCad dreams? Sweet Jesus they would be strange! Although I bet your dreams built some pretty amazing objects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mate had a "free gaf" for the weekend a few years back. Crate of cans, couple of Wagon Wheel Pizzas.

Played nothing but WAW Nazi Zombies and Resident Evil 4 - Mercenaries.

Constantly having dreams of bordering up windows, pushing ladders down etc to stop those damn Nazi Ganados!

Advertisement