Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming and sleep/dreams

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

I remember years ago I would play CIV 2 quite alot. One day I was sick with a cold or flu and sure I was bored. Played CIV 2 for most of the day. Went to bed and could not stop thinking/dreaming about moving items over a map all night. Hell when I just closed my eyes I could see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

On a Pro Evo PS2 master league, I literally woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming of a Duncan Ferguson goal I had scored, it was a fantastic strike outside the box. I think I was considering dropping him at the time but I couldn't after that.
    Dropping Big Dunc?:eek: are you mad?!:D

My worst case of this happened when I used to stay up til all hours playing skirmishes on C&C Red Alert. All I could see were legions of small tanks roaming around all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Had one or two FIFA related dreams before, particularly about how to unlock some decent players defense. My head would be wrecked in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never happens to me. The closest thing to it would be when I get obsessed with a puzzle game it starts playing over in my head when I'm not concentrating and I start seeing patterns in things. Happened to me with Meteos, Tetrsi, Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble, Lumines etc.

When I do dream about games it's usually me dreaming about buying them. I'm a big retro game collector and I often dream of picking up bargains on rare games. Bit of a bummer when you wake up and realise you didn't find Radiant Silvergun for 20 in the local Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Thing is, this would seem really weird to someone who has never played games. If a parent, for example, heard this stuff they might not let their kids play games any more.

I had dreams about Gears of War 1 once. I always dreamed that I was playing on Gridlock (I did the same tactic every match over and over again so this could be the Tetris Effect) and was doing a runthrough of the map copying tactics I used when playing. It felt weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Thing is, this would seem really weird to someone who has never played games. If a parent, for example, heard this stuff they might not let their kids play games any more.

I think there's a feature on dreams on the Inception bluray with a bit in it on computer games and dreams. Wasn't great, and I don't recall it particularly clearly - but I believe there is an argument for games being beneficial in cases of sleep disorders because many games are cyclic events where you face a challenge, and if you fail you face it over again. The repetition is training or conditioning, and the fear of consequences of failure can be diminished because the dreamer feels more control over events because of the remembered sensation from gaming, rather than being a passive observer or victim to a nightmare.

It was just crap they threw on there that was in any way tangentially related to Inception though - so unlikely to be respected research. But, an interesting counterpoint to knee jerk arguments against teh brainwashing games nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When I do dream about games it's usually me dreaming about buying them. I'm a big retro game collector and I often dream of picking up bargains on rare games. Bit of a bummer when you wake up and realise you didn't find Radiant Silvergun for 20 in the local Gamestop.

Had a few of these over the years myself too. They make your morning coffee a little bit saddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

My last one was Skyrim related - casting fireballs from my hands. For some strange reason though I was doing all these silly movements to make the fireballs more intense or stronger. Just remember being convinced it would work and it definitely seemed to. Think it was a case of some TV shows influencing my dream of Skyrim.

Advertisement