Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has the best defense in the Euros?

• 20-06-2012 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a claim and subsequent puzzling argument about the English back four I have decided I would like to get the rest of the boardsies opinions on this.

Who do you all think has the best back four in the tournament?

Reasoning would be appreciated but not vital.

Who has the best back four? 128 votes

Czech Republic
    0%
    Portugal
    0%
    Fight_Night 1 vote
    Germany
    6%
    Jesus Weptdfx-gebbeleagle eyeJayob10Davaeo09TopOfTheRightBad Panda 8 votes
    Greece
    47%
    Bounty HunterDempseyOtaconhomerjay2005Newaglishtolosencracso1975Big KnoxPro. FLuckyLloydOrando BroomironictoasterRed Crowmurpho999kryogenBlackhorse SlimEvil_ClownMoneymakerAn CiteogKess73 61 votes
    England
    3%
    Reganio 2Sanity_SaviourSamichkitakyushu 4 votes
    Italy
    7%
    SickBoyPOKERKINGbohsfanFerris_BuellerOptimalprimeribBeefy78Where TodarcedNinjaK 9 votes
    Spain
    25%
    FenixSeanehShaque attackapplehunterMr.Nice GuyArmaniJeanssMRPRO03Dave_The_SheepPaparazzoxtal191SK1979SchismAmiranigrenacheHank ScorpioDeeper Bluetitan18greendomSkylineheadstiffler123 32 votes
    France
    10%
    Pepe LeFritsbassyatilladehunRandolphEsqJPAgustavofrisbeefaceThe Floyd pTerryTibbs!Big Pussy BonpensieroStrawberry FieldsWilson91IncognitoMan 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Spain
    Italy have the best defense, imo. Chiellini, Bonucchi, Barzagli, Maggio, Giaccherini/Balzaretti is really good imo. Plus they'd have Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio in front of them.

Germany run them a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

England.

They're so good, you can put the ball over the line and it won't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Greece
    The Germans would be just ahead of Spain IMO. After those two you look at Italy and then France, England and Portugal.

I don't really rate the English defense. Terry is past his best it and Johnson is a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Greece
    G.K. wrote: »
    Italy have the best defense, imo. Chiellini, Bonucchi, Barzagli, Maggio, Giaccherini/Balzaretti is really good imo. Plus they'd have Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio in front of them.

It is meant purely in terms of the back four, or three in Italys case at times :)

Not in terms of who is the best team from a defensive point of view. Simply player for player, who has the best back four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Greece
    I think that the Spanish midfield is one of the best defences in the world. They almost never give the ball away. They never allow the opposition any time on the ball to use it when they give it away and they almost always win it back before the opposition has a chance to get near their box. I've no figures for their average possession but I'd imagine it varies between 60% and 75% depending on the quality of the opposition.

Their actual defence is cat though.

As a result I voted for Germany. Lahm is the ultimate defender. He can play on the left or on the right and is probably in the top three in the world in both positions in my opinion. Hummels is a class act. He's 11 months older than me and he's starting centre-back for Germany. Unbelievable achievement. Has many more years left in him. Badstuber and Boateng have impressed me and Neuer is great as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Spain
    If Italy go back to 3-5-2, then Italy.

If they stick with 4-3-1-2, then probably Germany.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Germany
    Portugal for me of the teams left. I'd say Denmark of all the nations who started. Kjaer and Agger have been the best centre-halves and Poulsen was excellent against The Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

France
    Spain, 1 goal against!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Portugal
    Czech republic for me. Controversial I know, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Germany
    I think its Portugal then Germany next and Denmark. Italians are playing a three man defense and I'm not gone on it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Spain

This. But then i'm biased towards most things Italian. Only they can make the art of defending look beautiful. Spain tried to pick their lock for 90 minutes and only once did they succeed. Maggio and Balzaretti are also a little less attack minded than the likes of Lahm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Spain
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Italians are playing a three man defense and I'm not gone on it at all.
    They did against Spain, but have since abandoned it. They were better of with it IMO as it brings the best out in Pirlo, Bonucci, Maggio and Chiellini (if he was fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Greece
    Germany for me. Hummels and Badstuber have been really on it. Lahm is the best left back and the best right back in the world. The only weakness is Boateng, but for some reason I have faith in him.

The Italians have lots of good ingredients, but I can't really trust a defensive line that are being shifted around between a back four and a back three and have De Rossi dropping back there sometimes too.

Portugal are maybe the best team defending. Their three CMs work very hard and their back four is good as well. But that's a different question.

Honourable mention to the Danes. Kjaer and Agger were class, pity to see them out early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Spain
    They did against Spain, but have since abandoned it. They were better of with it IMO as it brings the best out in Pirlo, Bonucci, Maggio and Chiellini (if he was fit).

Used it vs Croatia too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Greece
    Lahm - hummels - badstuber - boateng/bender for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

France
    Spain are the hardest team to score against Id say. But thats down to the fact they won't give you the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

John O'Shea-Richard Dunne-Sean St.Ledger-Stephen Ward

Impenetrable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

France
    Spain's defense, unlike any other's, consists of 11 players, which is why they have the best defense. Saying who has the best back 4 is as arbitrary as saying who has the best attackers, what matters is how they combine, which is why Spain are the best at defending, represented by how many goals they have conceeded at the last 2 major championships. And fyi, at Euro 2008 they conceeded 3 goals, none in the knockout phase, at the World Cup 2010 they conceeded 2 goals, again, none in the knockout phase. So far in Euro 2012, they have conceeded 1 goal, which makes that 16 games in tournament football with only 6 goals conceeded, oh, and they have 2 of their first choice back 4 missing for this tournament to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Spain
    Went with Italy, would be stronger still if they had Crisito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

England
    John O'Shea-Richard Dunne-Sean St.Ledger-Stephen Ward

Impenetrable.

"Never in the field of football conflict was so much shots by so many owed to so few."

• Advertisement

Greece
    It came down to Germany and Italy for me with the former winning out, if Italy had a settled back line I probably would have said them I think, it still would have been pretty marginal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Holland.

No doubt.

:D

Greece
    It is a credit to the French that after 51 votes they are the only team without any fans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Question is who has the best back 4?

How someone can vote Spain is beyond me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Serbia, admittedly there's a problem in that they're not actually in the Euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Greece
    Very close between Germany and Italy, I voted for Germany as they have settled back 4 in this Euro whereas Italians have injury problems and kept on changing the defense.

If they had the settled back 4, they would have been my choice.

Greece
    The one who has surprised me most is Portgual, they have been better as a unit then I thought they would, Bruno Alves is the exception, I am almost sure now the man does not like football! Ball in the air, no problem, he will go through his own grandmother to get his head to the ball, anything else though, especially the ball at his own feet and he is in trouble :)

Greece
    kryogen wrote: »
    The one who has surprised me most is Portgual, they have been better as a unit then I thought they would, Bruno Alves is the exception, I am almost sure now the man does not like football! Ball in the air, no problem, he will go through his own grandmother to get his head to the ball, anything else though, especially the ball at his own feet and he is in trouble :)

Also Coentrao, even defensively he is very good. They lack midfielder to protect the back 4 though.

Greece
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also Coentrao, even defensively he is very good. They lack midfielder to protect the back 4 though.

Veloso should be doing that job/isn't doing it terribly imo, the problem I have with Portgual is the coach, a headwrecker of the highest order. So negative!

• Advertisement

Greece
    Veloso should be doing that job/isn't doing it terribly imo, the problem I have with Portgual is the coach, a headwrecker of the highest order. So negative!

Veloso should be doing, but I dont think he played well imo.

None of the portugal midfielders are impressive in this euro, to an extent only Moutinho in flashes, then Veloso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Greece
    Germany for me.

Neuer

Boateng--Badstuber--Hummels--Lahm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Greece
    Germany or Italy. I guess the Germans get more help infront, but I still think they shade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Greece
    Don't know who has the best but I am amazed at how many American posters there are here talking about defense!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

France
    cgpg5 wrote: »
    Question is who has the best back 4?

How someone can vote Spain is beyond me tbh
    Rejecting the question. It's meaningless, football teams aren't made up of separate units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

France
    I think spains back four would be better if javi martinez was back there instead of arbeloa. ramos to RB and martinez CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I went for France because I felt bad that they had zero votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Greece
    Hummels played a great campaign so far, Neuer without any major blunder so far, has to be Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

THFC wrote: »
    Spain's defense, unlike any other's, consists of 11 players, which is why they have the best defense. Saying who has the best back 4 is as arbitrary as saying who has the best attackers, what matters is how they combine, which is why Spain are the best at defending, represented by how many goals they have conceeded at the last 2 major championships. And fyi, at Euro 2008 they conceeded 3 goals, none in the knockout phase, at the World Cup 2010 they conceeded 2 goals, again, none in the knockout phase. So far in Euro 2012, they have conceeded 1 goal, which makes that 16 games in tournament football with only 6 goals conceeded, oh, and they have 2 of their first choice back 4 missing for this tournament to boot.

Very good post. There's more to defending than sitting back and inviting pressure on yourself. Like most people, I don't think Spain have the greatest back four and suppose that is between Germany and Italy.

Coentrão is anything but very good defensively!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Spain
    Spain are missing Puyol and Iraola who both would have made strong arguments to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Italy
    England have 3/4 of the best back four, Debuchy of France would fill it out nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Spain are missing Puyol and Iraola who both would have made strong arguments to start.

Agree. Arbeloa is a weak link.

The defence of Ramos-Puyol-Piqué-Jordi Alba is pretty strong. I'd always have Iraola over Arbeloa too, especially after the past season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Spain
    Italy. They have been impressive. Chiellini injured now is a big loss for them though.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Greece
    If Italy go back to 3-5-2, then Italy.

If they stick with 4-3-1-2, then probably Germany.

Agree with this, based off what we've seen so far. Was very impressed with Italy in the opening game.

Also agree that Spain's defence would be a lot better for the inclusion of Puyol and Irola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Greece
    Germany. Hummels been the defender of the tournament so far for me.

As I predicted to some fellow football aficionados beforehand :D

Also any excuse to post this again;

tumblr_m5lmraWIPO1ryofz3o1_r2_500.png

Greece
    Love that pic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Love that pic :)
    Looks like photoshop job though. Is it real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

England
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Looks like photoshop job though. Is it real?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xripuk_mats-hummels-great-run-against-holland_sport

Greece
    Coentrão is anything but very good defensively!

I meant in Euro. He has been very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Spain
    I meant in Euro. He has been very good.

For what it's worth Portugal have conceded 4 goals so far in the tournament and all 4 have come from the LB position.

Greece
    Renn wrote: »
    For what it's worth Portugal have conceded 4 goals so far in the tournament and all 4 have come from the LB position.

Denmark's first goal was from right side, and VDV goal was from center. Coentrao was at fault for none of the goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement