Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't get more than 1MB broadband... what to do?

• 20-06-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

So I rang eircom today coz I wanted faster broadband but ... no can do!
    Because all other providers work on the same line, there'd be no point in switching am I right?
    They told me I can't get anymore than 1 MB because of the line.

Suggestions? Can I switch and get faster? I'm trying to download 10GB at 35 KB/s :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    it really feels like napster all over again :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Depends where you are located... any services over the line will be subjected to those dismal speeds but there could be some wireless alternatives or at least 3g connections

What area are you in!? I take it is UPC or anything isn't available!? There's some fixed wireless services like digiweb that could cater for your needs and there's a bunch of similar fixed wireless companies scattered around different areas across the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

With 1mb you should be getting something closer to 100KB/s
    Where are you trying to download from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

i had the same problem a few years back due to distance from exchange
    so i had a choice of 3g midband, eircom 2mb line, and not much else.

after some searching around , i came accross microwave fixed internet access, and went with that, dedicated 50mb down / 50 mb up , very low latency ideal for gaming, and voip, but very expensive, however it has been ultra reliable with no outages so far, except for power cuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

after some searching around , i came accross microwave fixed internet access, and went with that, dedicated 50mb down / 50 mb up , very low latency ideal for gaming, and voip, but very expensive, however it has been ultra reliable with no outages so far, except for power cuts..

I'm in the very same position and have tried digiweb and ripplecom wireless options but no signal!
    could you provide some more information on the microwave option? Costings and how it works exactly? Would be very interested to hear more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

clusk007 wrote: »
    I'm in the very same position and have tried digiweb and ripplecom wireless options but no signal!
    could you provide some more information on the microwave option? Costings and how it works exactly? Would be very interested to hear more.

I would also be highly interested in hearing of this as I am sick of Ripplecom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

i had the same problem a few years back due to distance from exchange so i had a choice of 3g midband, eircom 2mb line, and not much else.
    clusk007 wrote: »
    I would also be highly interested in hearing of this as I am sick of Ripplecom.

A would I

Advertisement