Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying in Canada as visitor after IEC expires

• 20-06-2012 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my situation. My IEC work visa expires this Friday. I will be flying from Northern Canada to Vancouver on Saturday, and then out of Vancouver to the USA on Sunday. I will be activating my new visa :) on my way back into Canada at the end of next week

My question is that I will basically be in Canada on Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday with no valid visa. Do I need to go through the whole rigmarole of applying to extend my stay as a visitor just for these 2 days?? I'm 99% sure no-one in the airport here will bat an eyelid...not sure about travelling from Van into the states though. I'm assuming that on my way back into Canada at the end of next week some questions might be asked...

If anyone has been in this situation advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

monkeerina wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my situation. My IEC work visa expires this Friday. I will be flying from Northern Canada to Vancouver on Saturday, and then out of Vancouver to the USA on Sunday. I will be activating my new visa :) on my way back into Canada at the end of next week

My question is that I will basically be in Canada on Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday with no valid visa. Do I need to go through the whole rigmarole of applying to extend my stay as a visitor just for these 2 days?? I'm 99% sure no-one in the airport here will bat an eyelid...not sure about travelling from Van into the states though. I'm assuming that on my way back into Canada at the end of next week some questions might be asked...

If anyone has been in this situation advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks

you really shouldve looked into this earlier. yes, potentially you can be refused activation of your new visa because you overstayed the last one. it's probably not going to happen, but if you get an immigration officer who decides to act the maggot, you'll be on the first plane back to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭monkeerina

Helix wrote: »
    you really shouldve looked into this earlier. yes, potentially you can be refused activation of your new visa because you overstayed the last one. it's probably not going to happen, but if you get an immigration officer who decides to act the maggot, you'll be on the first plane back to ireland

Sorted it! All one needs to do is apply for a 'visitor extension' before one's visa expires. It's done online and costs $75. Takes an hour or so.

The link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/extend-visit-doc.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US/ Canada travel to LIving Abroad, where Canada visa/ living questions go until we can get a separate forum ***

Advertisement