Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kids these days...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jesus fundraising is just under $200k now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

bloody awful.those kids should be jailed for a week or two to frighten the **** out of them.then expelled.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2663944.shtml?cat=566

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Almost $300k now. it will obviously loose steam but at this rate she could be a multi-millionare by the time the 30 days are up. im delighted for the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Hey guys, I deleted some posts with links to the alleged tearaways' pages and a link to a really NSFW website. Please don't post that stuff again. PM me for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

crazygeryy wrote: »
    bloody awful.those kids should be jailed for a week or two to frighten the **** out of them.then expelled.

Jail? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

$275K raised for woman, 68, bullied on bus

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/06/21/20120621bus-briver-bullying.html#ixzz1yTmFCN2f

Faith in humanity: Restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

more like $408,368... amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

winston82 wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »

Jail? Really?

Yes really, even for 48 hrs or house arrest for a couple of months.set an example and send out a message.this type of **** should not be tolerated.
    Id put money on it that these kids will just get a slap on the wrist.thats not enough.
    That video made me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Fund is now on $488,000! Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

$520,000 now.

Cant believe this has been going two days, when i heard the amount and was told about the vid i expected it to be a few weeks old and i missed it when it first became viral.

Any update from the woman as to what she's planning to do with the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Bloody hell she's gonna be a millionaire soon!!

Its only 2 days and its over $560k!!!

Although it makes me wonder if people can donate over half a million in under two days for a woman who was bullied on a school bus, then why the heck can't they donate money to help feed the poor people in 3rd world countries or the homeless in their own countries, people who are in far greater need for the money...??....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Although it makes me wonder if people can donate over half a million in under two days for a woman who was bullied on a school bus, then why the heck can't they donate money to help feed the poor people in 3rd world countries or the homeless in their own countries, people who are in far greater need for the money...??....

That's a bit presumptuous. How do you know these people haven't donated to other causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's a bit presumptuous. How do you know these people haven't donated to other causes?

If they did so why are there still so many dying of hunger in the world?

Half a million dollars could easily feed a whole third world city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm sorry but that statement shows incredible naivety. Half a million dollars is a drop in the ocean when it comes to solving the world hunger crisis. The cost of transport/distribution alone would take quite a chunk out of it.

It's a good deed for a woman who was treated horribly, I don't think it's the time or place to be making sweeping statements about the people who have donated and whether they have donated to other causes or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't even know why you have the internet when the money it cost you could be sent to 3rd world countries or the homeless.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What stops me is that most third world countries actually have money, & lots of it. It's usually dished out to severly corrupt goverments & huge military budgets.

I think theres some truth in that. As in, people would want to donate to something they can see have a direct affect on. Coupled with the mentality of 'armchair-activism' and is probably the reason as to why she has gotten so much money so far.

A lot of people in the world have been bullied and feel her pain so feel a duty to help someone in the situation now. Not a lot of people have felt the fear of death from hunger so they cant empathise with third world suffering.

[/my 2c]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

$626,947

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

She should keep the money. Take early retirement & spend her days enjoying the finer things in life, taking pleasure in the knowledge that she'll never have to listen to little tramps like that again.

She's probably the kind of person though who got some gratitude out of helping others like she was doing, & will likely continue on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah she's going to end up with well over a million dollars at this rate.

Considering the fund was to give her a holiday, I would love to see her take money to live out the rest of her days without the need to face that sort of abuse again, but having said that, perhaps a million or two is a bit excessive, and whilst she's fully entitled to keep every cent and I wouldn't begrudge her it, it would be nice to see her make an extremely substantial charitable donation towards initiatives such as education in Bullying Awareness state wide, how to cope with it and also to educate bullies into stopping and thinking about their actions, and try to create a stigma around bullying and support for students and stuff who suffer from it, and also perhaps a state wide and ongoing bus monitor trust fund, which looks to give all the hard working, unappreciated staff who probably suffer similar breaks away and small financial aid to take more time off etc.

I just think it would be very poignent if she used the massive amount of cash to make a major difference and to sieze this oppertunity to confront social issues and try and create a legacy to help victims of bullying on a continued basis (with events and fund raisers) to educate and create awareness and to offer meaningful support with large resources for the unappreciated workers, perhaps soft targets (dinner ladies perhaps?), and also for victims of bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I don't envy her at all, but jaysus that money would be sweet!

.... then again, while I wasn't the biggest **** in secondary school, I got a few laughs at the expense of well meaning, but pushover teachers. I wouldn't deserve it.

I think that everyone's guilty of it to some extent, and a lot of the morally high comments on Youtube and the likes could be coming from people who've helped make someone else's life a living hell.

Who wants to have a guess at how much has been raised with 12 days remaining to the donating?

Just under
    $680,000

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

I clicked the first link to the donation page before I read any further on this thread, and in that post I seen somebody saying it's got to $5,000.

I was like :)

*looked at link now*

:eek::D

I fcuking laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement