Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved Country. Not paying my mortgage anymore

Options
  • 20-06-2012 9:15am
    Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice for my situation...

I moved my family from Ireland 2 years ago for employment reasons. I have 2 houses still in Ireland which are both in negative equity. I talked to the bank in the hope that they would let me sell one and take the negative equity across to the other leaving me with one mortgage. They refused to do this.

I've never missed a payment in 7 years on one and 4 on the other. We are in process of purchasing a house in new country. It is my intention now to only pay one Irish mortgage and forget about the other and allow it to be repossessed. I know this is not the right thing to do but I dont see the point in paying this anymore as its a burden.

My question is this. When house is repossessed, can they take the other one in Ireland? Can they force me to sell that one or the one in new country?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

You sign up to a website to ask people's advice on the implications of you doing a runner and leaving us, through the nationalised banks, to pay for the shortfall. Pay your debts you ****** ***** *****.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

No need for the insults please. Can you answer the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Why can't you just man up, sell the houses and take a hit on the NE? A bank may write this down. Would be great if we could all head off as we see our property as a 'burden'. Jesus, no wonder we're fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

me, and others, the tax payers, will end footing that bill.... that annoys me that you think this is ok :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

kegzmc wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice for my situation...

I moved my family from Ireland 2 years ago for employment reasons. I have 2 houses still in Ireland which are both in negative equity. I talked to the bank in the hope that they would let me sell one and take the negative equity across to the other leaving me with one mortgage. They refused to do this.

I've never missed a payment in 7 years on one and 4 on the other. We are in process of purchasing a house in new country. It is my intention now to only pay one Irish mortgage and forget about the other and allow it to be repossessed. I know this is not the right thing to do but I dont see the point in paying this anymore as its a burden.

My question is this. When house is repossessed, can they take the other one in Ireland? Can they force me to sell that one or the one in new country?

Thanks

The reality is that you are not broke, you are buying another property in another country and the banks won't take kindly to you prioritising a new mortgage over your existing one.

I think it is the case that repossession only takes place if you cannot pay your debt, I stand to be corrected on this - but this is not your situation,

You are choosing to buy a new home when you should be paying your mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

In fairness, you're asking a group of people for advice on offloading your debt to them. Can you explain why people shouldn't be offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically, yes they can force the sale of both houses in Ireland, but not necessarily in the new country.

If you're now living in the EU, you can be chased across jurisidictions for the debt, which depending on the jurisdictional rules could result in the sale of your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF the bank has loans on both houses ,they ,ll take back at least the one thats not being paid on ,thru the courts once they figure out you are gone, and sell the house.
    They,ll sell em for x amount and you,ll still owe whats left.
    YOU could have gone to uk,for 6months .establish residency,rent a flat, and declared bankruptcy ,
    after 1 year , all your debts are wiped out.
    You should speak to a lawyer and a financial expert ,thats just my opinion.
    ON pat kenny show theres a court report on bank,mortgage cases, every few weeks, when the mortrgage holder leaves house,
    bank usually goes to court, for repossesion order, and sells the house.
    if loan is no longer being paid, owner has left the country.

i believe they can if they want sell both houses,if they want,
    why would they sell a house for 150k,
    if the loan is 230k, and the loan is still being paid.

This crisis only started in 2008, so far i,ve never heard of a case
    where an irish bank went after a person for money outside ireland
    re house loans.
    From listening to pat kenny show ,person leaves, house is sold,
    that seems to be the end of it,
    OF course anglo ,other banks have many legal cases going on
    against builders or developers or companys who owe them milllions,
    ie the few left who are not in nama,
    or have declared bankruptcy.
    AS ABOVE IF you are in the eu, they can still go to court in your new country,
    eg if they sell the houses, you could owe 200k,for example, PLUS interest at standard mortgage rate.
    theres a new bankruptcy law coming to ireland which is supposed to help
    people are in extreme financial distress , eg owe alot of money ,and are now on a lower income ,with little chance of ever paying their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Yes, yes, we should all rush to you with advice for free to help you abandon your debt to us.

daltonmd wrote: »
    The reality is that you are not broke, you are buying another property in another country and the banks won't take kindly to you prioritising a new mortgage over your existing one.

I think it is the case that repossession only takes place if you cannot pay your debt, I stand to be corrected on this - but this is not your situation,

You are choosing to buy a new home when you should be paying your mortgages.

What if the mortgage was placed in my wifes name whos name does not appear on Irish mortgages?

• Advertisement

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Why can't you just man up, sell the houses and take a hit on the NE? A bank may write this down. Would be great if we could all head off as we see our property as a 'burden'. Jesus, no wonder we're fooked.

If you bothered to read the post you'll see I have approached the banks and tried to take on the negative equity. They were not interested.

I can purchase a house for a fifth of the price of Ireland and will have a pretty small mortgage rather than trying to pay for a house I'll never see the end of.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I talked to the bank in the hope that they would let me sell one and take the negative equity across to the other leaving me with one mortgage. They refused to do this.

Not quite the same, you have to sell both and sort out the negative equity, either pay it off or try and get a write down from the bank. Not the same thing as you have suggested. Any bank that sees you buggering off is unlikely to take you on with a NE mortgage - alarm bells would be ringing everywhere in the underwriting dept. Why don't you just take responsibility, rather than expecting other people to foot your debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

He is no worse than the rest of them. Strategic defaulters, bailed out bankers, corrupt politicians, joe bloggs with lack of financial planning, political parties that reward recklessness with additional mortgage TRS.
    The only idiots here are the ones still paying tax in this asylum.

kegzmc, is your wife's name not on the two mortgages in Ireland?

Its just my name on mortgages.

What if the mortgage was placed in my wifes name whos name does not appear on Irish mortgages?

DId you already buy the house abroad? If so then the banks can track back as to when you did this, and if they see it was recent then they will view it as something you did in order to be deceptive.

You see you can afford to repay both mortgages. You asked to bank could you sell one and take the NE across and have one mortgage, they said no, now because they said no you want to stop paying on a mortgage - that doesn't make sense.

You want to have one mortgage? Even if they said yes, then the NE would have been turned into a personal loan, it wasn't going to be financially advantageous to you anyway.

Zamboni wrote: »
    He is no worse than the rest of them. Strategic defaulters, bailed out bankers, corrupt politicians, joe bloggs with lack of financial planning, political parties that reward recklessness with additional mortgage TRS.
    The only idiots here are the ones still paying tax in this asylum.

kegzmc, is your wife's name not on the two mortgages in Ireland?

Now this is a completely different situation Zamboni. This is a "I don;t want to pay", to say people like this are the same as those who are staying in this country and struggling is wrong.

I think we are wandering off the question here.

Can the bank pursue a house in my wifes name if I fail to meet mortgage repayments on a property in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably, yes. For legal purposes yourself and your wife are generally considered to be a single entity unless either party can show that the debts were incurred without the other spouse's knowledge.

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for that. Perhaps I need to seek legal advice before we draw down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Its pretty understandable why people would be annoyed by this, you took out a mortgage on a second property (borrowed recklessly obviously) now that it hasnt worked out you have decided that the mortgage is too big so your not paying it, instead you are going to ask others to pay it for you while you take out a smaller mortgage elsewhere and live comfortably leaving those that are paying your other mortgage here struggle on for a bit more.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Can the bank pursue a house in my wifes name if I fail to meet mortgage repayments on a property in Ireland?

It would really depend on which country you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Zamboni wrote: »
    He is no worse better than the rest of them. Strategic defaulters, bailed out bankers, corrupt politicians, joe bloggs with lack of financial planning, political parties that reward recklessness with additional mortgage TRS.

FYP

Did you already buy the house with your wife? If you change it after you the fact, then the bank can trace the change and state that it was done to decieve them.

In that event yes they can as they will see that you were on the house initially.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Did you already buy the house with your wife? If you change it after you the fact, then the bank can trace the change and state that it was done to decieve them.

In that event yes they can as they will see that you were on the house initially.

No not yet. Mortgage approved for 50% of purchase price.

No not yet. Mortgage approved for 50% of purchase price.

Where are you going to get the other 50% from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Oh the sanctimonious wailing :rolleyes:. Don't mind them OP, they'd soon get off their soapbox if it was them and they'd do the same as you.

The public didn't start this recession, the builders, banks and lack of regulation did. You can't blame the public for believing the hype about "the property ladder" that was rammed down everyone's throat morning, noon and night. Place your anger where it belongs; with the banks, builders and politicians.

I'd love to be able to answer your questions OP but I'd only be guessing, get legal advise to be on the safe side I'd say.

All the best, to you and your family.

curlzy wrote: »
    Oh the sanctimonious wailing :rolleyes:. Don't mind them OP, they'd soon get off their soapbox if it was them and they'd do the same as you.

The public didn't start this recession, the builders, banks and lack of regulation did. You can't blame the public for believing the hype about "the property ladder" that was rammed down everyone's throat morning, noon and night. Place your anger where it belongs; with the banks, builders and politicians.

I'd love to be able to answer your questions OP but I'd only be guessing, get legal advise to be on the safe side I'd say.

Thank you very much. Why should I deny my kids a better life trying to pay off a mortgage on a house I'll never return to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

seamus wrote: »
    Probably, yes. For legal purposes yourself and your wife are generally considered to be a single entity unless either party can show that the debts were incurred without the other spouse's knowledge.

That is a very broad statement and I don't think it's correct in this case.

However, if the OP has contributed to the house abroad, then one would wonder how the relevant court in the particular foreign country would view the OP's contribution to the house.

OP, have you considered bankruptcy in the UK?

curlzy wrote: »

Course you can blame the public, I am a member of the public and didnt borrow more than I could repay, I certainly didnt buy a second home either.

If people believed the "hype" well thats their own fault, gotta love the way people who never had any intention of owning a second home went out and bought one because "everyone else was doing it" and now moan that its not fair that someone didnt tell them not to do it.

People got greedy it didnt work out and now its everyone elses fault but their own. They made their bed so maybe they should lie in it rather than ask others who were sensible to lie in it for them.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. Why should I deny my kids a better life trying to pay off a mortgage on a house I'll never return to?

Because you took out the mortgage maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement