Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2013 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I am managing Ireland as well as United.

By any chance can you convince players to play for Ireland rather then England?

I notice that Jonjo Shelvey can declare for Ireland and wondered is it possible in the game?

Long shot I think.

Yes you can but some players are declared that they will only play for England and so are not available for Ireland. You should just see it under the options in the player menu to call them up. I think they can accept or reject the call up, ie. its not certain that theyll play for Ireland.

In your example of Shelvey, I think hes already declared to play for England but it should say it next to the nations that hes eligible to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheGunns wrote: »
    Yes you can but some players are declared that they will only play for England and so are not available for Ireland. You should just see it under the options in the player menu to call them up. I think they can accept or reject the call up, ie. its not certain that theyll play for Ireland.

In your example of Shelvey, I think hes already declared to play for England but it should say it next to the nations that hes eligible to play for.

cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

GavRedKing wrote: »

I hinted to the G/F that I wanted it but also let her know that if she bought it then she wouldnt be seeing much of me. :pac:
    Apparently the game had been cited in over 50 divorce proceedings in the UK! Unreal how addictive it can be and how much time you can while away playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Apparently the game had been cited in over 50 divorce proceedings in the UK! Unreal how addictive it can be and how much time you can while away playing it.

I bought it because my wife is away until the start of december.
    Since I bought the full version i have put in near 50 hours already :eek:
    Im only in my second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Over 50? Thought it would be more TBH. :p

I can see alright though why and how people get addicted too it.

I've started the D/L at lunch and should have it up and running when I get home and I know I'll put in a good 15 hours over the weekend I reckon.

Its a very easy game to lose track of time, I remember back in the Championship manager '98 time I'd have out in marathon sessions on days off from school or holidays, good 10 + hours a day, cant do that now a days but I do have a few days off next week that might see a good few hours pumped into it.

Single life here I come. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd completely understand my (hypothetical) fella being addicted to FM. Ah, imagine a couple's network game, how cute!

Lads, ye've got yerselves a keeper in me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Ok, so amazingly without any cheating whatsoever, and with no new signings and a limited squad, my Liverpool team are 11 points clear in January when the Demo finished up..... I mean - i just have to go and buy the damn full version now don't I?

englishpremierdivisionowt.png

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd completely understand my (hypothetical) fella being addicted to FM. Ah, imagine a couple's network game, how cute!

Lads, ye've got yerselves a keeper in me! :pac:

PM sent. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Dr Feelgood

Anyone tell me to cheapest place to buy it thats not steam?

cheers

cheers

Seen it up for €34.99 in a Gamestop in Cork last week, think there was a link on this page about a non Steam D/L version for €28 somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Bought this yesterday, but only got about 15 mins to play it. Looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight.

I started as Sheffield Wednesday (in Classic mode). Pity there is no Director of Football in Classic, just because it'd be handy if I could tell him the players I won't ever play and he could flog them for me. I like the new interface too, seems very slick.

It's great that getting through a season shouldn't take such a massive amount of time commitment as FMs.

Also, can I just copy over my graphics directory from FM12 and it'll work with FM13 or do I have to go download all the faces, crests, jerseys, etc again?

The extra add-on's are a good idea I think. I like the idea of not having a transfer window, but I'd prefer if these were solely unlockable by doing challenges, not by paying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Bought this yesterday, but only got about 15 mins to play it. Looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight.

I started as Sheffield Wednesday (in Classic mode). Pity there is no Director of Football in Classic, just because it'd be handy if I could tell him the players I won't ever play and he could flog them for me. I like the new interface too, seems very slick.

It's great that getting through a season shouldn't take such a massive amount of time commitment as FMs.

Also, can I just copy over my graphics directory from FM12 and it'll work with FM13 or do I have to go download all the faces, crests, jerseys, etc again?

The extra add-on's are a good idea I think. I like the idea of not having a transfer window, but I'd prefer if these were solely unlockable by doing challenges, not by paying for them.
    Whats the Classic Mode like? Is it similar to a particular old version? If it was anything like 01/02 I might consider it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

cheers

Does it matter what format? I was looking too and the cheapest I have found is €28.99 at g2play.net.
    They email you the key within 30 minutes and you enter it into steam and whalah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    My copy is still stuck on backorder on cdwow :(
    Same as that:(:mad:
    Same here. Finally dispatched yesterday:rolleyes:

Not too worried anyhow still have my game in fm2011 going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey all,

Anyone playing in Ireland or planning on...

Here are some files you might like...

Limerick Under 19's Squad...Download Here

Club Colours(Updated & Added)...Download Here

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevap

This years game is a big let down I must say. Very very disappointed with it. Still awful graphics. Goals scored from nearly every cross. Players with high speed ratings being out sprinted by the likes of Mertasacker. Back to FM 12 for me. Would like my €50 back tbh..and i was a huge fan of the FM series.

What do you find to be the best Shouts and Tactics for your teams?

For Man United I play 4-2-3-1 with Control and Fluid as my main tactics and works nicely. Bought Strootman in first season and is excellent buy.

With Ireland I play 4-4-1-1 with Counter and Rigid as main tactics and topped my Group for WC. Lost one game to Germany away.

Will move onto Hibs and Cork City next I say. Normally get fed up after 8/10 seasons anyway with one team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Match Engine is a fcuking joke in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

SantryRed wrote: »
    The Match Engine is a fcuking joke in this one.

Every free kick is like they're trying to lob the keeper!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Every free kick is like they're trying to lob the keeper!

I'm not even talking about that.

A lot of 4-5-1 formations don't seem to work at all. It's so infuriating. I have told my players play short passes, work ball into box, and they still take 70% of shots from long range :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

A lot of 4-5-1 formations don't seem to work at all. It's so infuriating. I have told my players play short passes, work ball into box, and they still take 70% of shots from long range :confused:

Have you tried manually reducing their tendency to take long shots? To be honest I've found that problem for years in FM, unless I want them to take long shots I generally have them down to rare...

I'm actually finding the game great this year, more of a challenge with low teams but certainly not anywhere near the number of complaints some other people seem to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Tried the same in LOI. Disaster. Hoof after hoof. Games annoying me!

Have you tried manually reducing their tendency to take long shots? To be honest I've found that problem for years in FM, unless I want them to take long shots I generally have them down to rare...

I'm actually finding the game great this year, more of a challenge with low teams but certainly not anywhere near the number of complaints some other people seem to have...

Wow, thank you.

THat little adjustment makes such a difference!!

Tactics work great in FM13. Tell player to do something and it works.(most of time anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Tactics work great in FM13. Tell player to do something and it works.(most of time anyway)

This is what I thought of when reading that:

computer-kill-flanders.png
    Computer, kill Flanders. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've been reducing them like hobbit says for a while now.

I have my two strikers and attacking midfielder set to rare for long shots. It gets very annoying when they keep missing long shots. I do it for wingers too.

I might make it balanced if a midfielder is known for having good long range ability but I usually try to encourage through balls more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I signed Papa Bouba Diop on a free transfer for Celtic and he's scored some unreal long shots and his long shots stat is only 12. I uploaded one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Lads I'm having some real trouble with tactics, wingers don't seem as good in this game as in FM 11, my formation is two wingers, target man and a fast poacher. Then an advanced playmaker and a ball winner. Wingers seem reluctant to cross, they just run to the byline, wait for the box to become crowded, then cross, totally wasting the breakaway, most of the through balls are to my lump of a target man rather than my poacher, very annoying. I'm concistantly in the bottom half despite vastly improving my squad since promotion, any tips on a good formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

GRMA wrote: »
    Lads I'm having some real trouble with tactics, wingers don't seem as good in this game as in FM 11, my formation is two wingers, target man and a fast poacher. Then an advanced playmaker and a ball winner. Wingers seem reluctant to cross, they just run to the byline, wait for the box to become crowded, then cross, totally wasting the breakaway, most of the through balls are to my lump of a target man rather than my poacher, very annoying. I'm concistantly in the bottom half despite vastly improving my squad since promotion, any tips on a good formation?

Maybe select option to hit early crosses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Whats the Classic Mode like? Is it similar to a particular old version? If it was anything like 01/02 I might consider it.

Transfers and tactics. The problem is when the morale of players goes down, or the team is on a bad run, I don't think you can hold a team meeting or talk to a player individually to sort the problem.

You are basically f*cked with low morale. I started as Sheff Wed. I made a few signings but was still woefully short of quality overall. The league table was pretty tight. I was bouncing around from 8-18th (predicted to finish 18th by the media).

I hit 8th & I ended up hitting low morale after 2 defeats in a row, and then I was f*cked. 13 winless games, and i got the sack when I was 19th.

I tried 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1 (basically 4-3-3 with a DM). I was just getting battered, even when playing defensively or counter attacking, with a rigid formation and no roaming so it'd be difficult to break down.

My defenders were constantly getting ratings below 6. My fullbacks, nearly every game I played, were getting 5.8 or 5.9 to the point where I thought it was a bug.

What tactics do you guys use?

Advertisement