Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2013 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PM23

I've had lots of games where i dominate and had 11 shots but the opposition have 1 and they win 1-0. Thats not too bad but ive also had games where I have 10/11 shots and the opposition have 3/4/5 and they win 3/4/5-0. Anyone else have this problem. I regularly have 0% chance conversion rate and the other tema converts 80+% of their chances

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

PM23 wrote: »
    I've had lots of games where i dominate and had 11 shots but the opposition have 1 and they win 1-0. Thats not too bad but ive also had games where I have 10/11 shots and the opposition have 3/4/5 and they win 3/4/5-0. Anyone else have this problem. I regularly have 0% chance conversion rate and the other tema converts 80+% of their chances

Half of it. I have the opponents scoring with very few chances but very rarely dont score myself. A bad showing from me would be one or two goals from about 20 attempts. I often hit four or five from that amount of chances. Not played 13 but have always had the opposition problem for as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

How do you get your director of football to help with transfers, I read about it but can't figure out how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

tvercetti wrote: »
    Remember the crazy things you could do in Ultimate Soccer Manager 98
    • Set ticket prices
    • Build bars etc around the stadium
    • Bet for/against your team
    • Attempt to bribe opponent
    • Deal with Sponsors
    • Take out bank loan
    I am not saying these should be added as these are not part of a managers job but that was a crazy game.

haha, bribe your opponent? That game sounds deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

deisedave wrote: »
    How do you get your director of football to help with transfers, I read about it but can't figure out how to do it.

i think you add them as a transfer target. you get a report if he was successful or not then after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Go into your club drop down menu and check " staff responsibilties " you can change it all from there.

Only thing my DoF does is handle contracts of young players while the head of youth development manages the intake of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

There's two ways to use the DoF
    One is through the transfer options on a player screen and select add as transfer target and you can choose loan or transfer.
    He will then try to agree a transfer and contract.

The other way is through the staff>> responsibilities from the team screen.
    Then for the first team options you can choose to set the DoF to option of
    Finds and make offers for first team players.

You can set the chairman or directors to this role too.

I set him this role while playing with crawley and WBA and he can be useful. Often gets me decent loan deals that play roles in the first team.

None of these players have been scouted by scouts (so have no ratings).
    I have the option of finalise for first team signings set to me.

Then when it comes to agreeing, I delay a week and scout them fully.

With crawley he got me a few free signings.

gosh darnit,

3 points 3 fecking points is all that stood between 6th (me) and 2nd.

that 94th minute equaliser with City when i dominated the game and the draw in the second last game of the season against West Ham are weighing heavily on my mind.

Still at least i got a new contract and got Isco and Llorente in now along with Cole and Downing out and have signed maybe 15 teenagers that hopefully all develop to their full potential and have a few 19-22 year olds all out on loan playing first team football this season.

232553.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just fired up 13 for the first time today, the interface is vuuuury different. Like it but definitely will take a while to get used to. Cant wait to get stuck in over Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭skybhoy121

kinda want to get this to treat myself over xmas!..but afraid it willl take over my life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Does anyone else just go on random losing streaks, sometimes I'll be top of the league and then will just go on a terrible spell of losses and no matter what I do I can't stop it from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Does anyone else just go on random losing streaks, sometimes I'll be top of the league and then will just go on a terrible spell of losses and no matter what I do I can't stop it from happening.

Yeah the players get complacent when they are winning all the time, then you lose a few in a row and morale takes a nose dive. It's a crappy situation, but you can avoid it by getting very good at team talks and press conferences.

A bit of squad rotation can help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sometimes the AI decides you are doing too well so forces you to lose. I think they are still denying it happens, but it happens way too often not to be intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

How do I recall a player I sent out on loan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

How do I recall a player I sent out on loan?

Depends,if you were paid a fee for the loan then I don't believe you can recall the player(open to correction here) otherwise it shud be under the transfer tab on the player profile(it was in previous versions anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Depends,if you were paid a fee for the loan then I don't believe you can recall the player(open to correction here) otherwise it shud be under the transfer tab on the player profile(it was in previous versions anyway)

Yeah, its a term in the loan agreement, you cant always do it, and can never do it with a paid loan. Can't remember where exactly it is, but if you can't find it easily enough you probably can't pull that particular player back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

So I can't recall Andy Carroll? damn!

Anyway I an ensure they don't buy him for the 17million fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

This game is waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder than any other I've ever played. The players make laughable mistakes and still get high ratings in each game. Not impressed by the game at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

token101 wrote: »
    This game is waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder than any other I've ever played. The players make laughable mistakes and still get high ratings in each game. Not impressed by the game at all tbh.

It's mad, I've avoided the fm forums, apart from this one, and by not reading any of the negative talk about it I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Apart from the back-post goals being very susceptible I've found it great...

Weirdly I've also had my most successful start to a save I think... Taken a mid table championship side to the prem and europe in the first season and safe mid-table for the second season... Maybe it just takes a while to find the right tactics this year?

I've def found that 433 (1 Dm, 2CMs, 2Wingers, 1 Forward) is really poor this year but in years gone by it was always my go-to tactic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

What formation is working best for people here?

Counter attacking 442 with a big lump of a target man is working well for me.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with work permits? Tried to sign Adriano (cheap and good stats) and he got rejected. He's a well established striker who has played loads of times for Brazil and played in Europe etc... why would he no get a work permit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Formation depends on the team, I used 4-5-1 with notts co to get them into a stable championship side, 3-4-3 with chelski because the board wanted attacking football, 4-2-3-1 with wingers at Barca because of the players. 4-4-2 at sunderland got them from championship to europe.

GRMA wrote: »
    What formation is working best for people here?

Counter attacking 442 with a big lump of a target man is working well for me.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with work permits? Tried to sign Adriano (cheap and good stats) and he got rejected. He's a well established striker who has played loads of times for Brazil and played in Europe etc... why would he no get a work permit?

Formation-wise I play a narrow diamond 442 against lesser teams and a 4141 (1 anchor and 1 striker) against the bigger teams, as far as I know the WPs are some sort of ratio between international caps and non-international caps... Saying that I've found it very hard to get permits this this year (albeit playing as a smaller rep team).

I'm sure someone else here will be more helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's mad, I've avoided the fm forums, apart from this one, and by not reading any of the negative talk about it I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Apart from the back-post goals being very susceptible I've found it great...

Weirdly I've also had my most successful start to a save I think... Taken a mid table championship side to the prem and europe in the first season and safe mid-table for the second season... Maybe it just takes a while to find the right tactics this year?

I've def found that 433 (1 Dm, 2CMs, 2Wingers, 1 Forward) is really poor this year but in years gone by it was always my go-to tactic...

YES! I couldn't win with ANY other formation! And I tried every single one, even wing backs (which I've never ever tried in any other game, got beat 6-0 in that one). I am enjoying it now, I was just venting. I'm off the bottom of the table at least. We had a bad start and I've realised that Joel Lynch is the ****test centre back in the world and Leroy Lita plays best as a target man.

Im using very defensive formations, but then i have been playing with first crawley and then west brom in the one save.
    Got promotion first season with crawley then spent two seasons in mid table in the championship before taking the west brom job bringing them back to the prem and then slowly rising up the table each season.
    The last season I finished 6th.

The main two im using are 4231 with two defensive mids and three Attacking midfielders behind my one striker.

The other formation i use when away against better opposition or when home against top opposition is 3421 with 3 cb's, wingbacks and 2 dm's then 2 AM behind my lone striker.

Had a major injury crisis and had no fit strikers (even promising youths were injured) so had to play with no strikers and 3 am's and this helped me beat Man Utd 1-nil in a tight league cup final.

Im using very defensive formations, but then i have been playing with first crawley and then west brom in the one save.
    Got promotion first season with crawley then spent two seasons in mid table in the championship before taking the west brom job bringing them back to the prem and then slowly rising up the table each season.
    The last season I finished 6th.

The main two im using are 4231 with two defensive mids and three Attacking midfielders behind my one striker.

The other formation i use when away against better opposition or when home against top opposition is 3421 with 3 cb's, wingbacks and 2 dm's then 2 AM behind my lone striker.

Had a major injury crisis and had no fit strikers (even promising youths were injured) so had to play with no strikers and 3 am's and this helped me beat Man Utd 1-nil in a tight league cup final.

Jesus some seriously creative formations there!

I found the asymmetric to be great last year but this year I was getting torn apart...

Oh and I think my biggest pet peeve is my strikers mental age of about 10 years old! Every one wants to be a poacher :mad: I had 2 strikers in, both ~6'4, strength, heading, jumping all 16+ and still they thought they were more suited to be poachers or advanced forwards than TMs...

No Stoke play for me anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Game updated for me today!

Looks like an update, no idea whats been done but from what I can see it is a bit faster loading. And they have the dark team back.Typical that I've become so used to the standard theme that I can't get used to the dark team now... Cheers SI..

Game updated for me today!

Looks like an update, no idea whats been done but from what I can see it is a bit faster loading. And they have the dark team back.Typical that I've become so used to the standard theme that I can't get used to the dark team now... Cheers SI..

full details
    Get two new Football Manager Classic challenges | New update
    Just in time for Christmas, we’ve introduced two brand new challenges into Football Manager Classic mode on PC/Mac for you to get stuck into and test your managerial skills. You can find both the following new challenges in the store for only 99p:

Financial Storm
    Your club is in financial peril. Can you maintain competitiveness on the pitch whilst reducing the club's debt and wage bill off it?

Unrest at Home
    Your appointment as manager has left some senior players unhappy. How will you handle the dressing room and the inevitable egos within? Can you avoid being sacked before the end of the season by matching the board's expectations?

Not played the challenges before? There are five others available to play in the PC/Mac game, they are:

The Saviour Cometh: Your team are embroiled in a relegation battle halfway through the season. Can you take the reins and guide them to safety?
    Injury Crisis: Your team is swamped with injury problems, leading to most if your 1st team being on the treatment table. Can you meet the board’s expectations in the league?
    The Invincibles: You’ve gone on a long run without defeat. Can you cement your place in history by going the full season unbeaten?
    You can’t win anything with kids: A batch of exceptional youth players has risen through the ranks and joined your first team. Can you claim silverware with a side built around this core of young, homegrown talent?
    Top Division Underdog: Choose any lower division club and then instantly get promoted to the top division in that nation, how will you fare as massive underdogs? (Available from the in-game store at £0.99)
    The new challenges come as part of a brand new update for FM13 on PC/Mac, which is also available now. To download the update, simply save your current game and quit FM, then quit and restart Steam and launch the game as normal. This should start your update automatically.

If you have any technical issues, please report them http://community.sigames.com.

See below for a full list of changes:

PERFORMANCE
    Fixed rare history crash in edited databases
    Fixed crash when closing game
    Fixed crash when changing language with holiday prompt on screen
    Fixed rare crash when asking backroom staff for team talk advice
    Fixed crash when using ‘Set for Release’ button

GENERAL
    Fixed very low and negative attendances
    Fixed player becoming unhappy when promise is met
    Fixed takeovers disproportionately boosting club reputation
    Fixed erroneous fluctuation of tactic familiarity
    Improved long term lower league AI squad balance

COMPETITIONS & RULEGROUPS
    Fixed Austria Cup final and EURO Cup final clash
    Fixed fixture congestion when reaching final of Bulgarian Cup and EURO Cup
    Improved confidence handling Belgian Pro League
    Fixed Brazilian State Championship start dates
    Fixed English league playoff venues
    Fixed Irish Premier and First Division format and scheduling
    Fixed Polish Ekstraslasa schedule
    Fixed Swedish pre-season scheduling

GUI
    Improved speed when viewing previous fixtures
    Fixed skin reload clearing manager profile picture
    Fixed refreshing of coach star rating when coach leaves club
    Improved speed of team line-ups appearance pre-match
    Improved distinction between ‘Needs a rest’ and ‘Rested’ status flags
    Fixed scrollbar losing focus on individual training screen
    Fixed international shortlist being populated by player search
    Fixed international jobs not appearing in Job Centre

EDITOR
    Fixed seeding by division reputation in custom cup
    Added ability to create leagues with uneven sub-divisions
    Fixed addition of Danish lower divisions
    Fixed sorting of German regions in custom competitions

FINANCES
    Improved balance of lower league wage budgets
    Improved balance of non-league match day expense & income
    Fixed Italian tax levels in new games
    Fixed players increasing wage demands after user adjusts budgets
    Improved wage balance in Sweden

FMC
    Added Financial Storm and Unrest at Home Challenges to Store
    Fixed cut off on Player profile Transfer Price tag graphic in certain currencies
    Added Player Training Progression graphic to the Player Profile screen
    Fixed Player silhouettes being recoloured on news items
    Added string to FMC Store to indicate unlockables are for FMC only.
    Fixed news item cut off for Team of the Week items
    Fixed old media inbox questions being asked incorrectly
    Fixed Transfer and Loan Listed status text appearing correctly on the player profile
    Fixed Progression Bar always being in the middle on Player Coach Reports
    Added reason for failing a challenge on the Challenge Result screen
    Fixed the possibility of being able to start new games or Challenges in 2011
    Fixed player wage demands when applying All players interested unlockable
    Fixed Squad Registration panel incorrectly appearing for clubs
    Fixed New Stadium Unlockable so that no loans are taken out to cover its costs

NEWS
    Fixed calculation of “shock” cup defeats
    Fixed calculation of first league goal in news items

NETWORK
    Fixed client being unable to join game with edited database
    Fixed assistant taking charge of team when loading save on match day

SCOUTING
    Fixed scouts with full knowledge returning with no results

TRANSFERS & CONTRACTS
    Fixed DoF repeatedly targeting uninterested staff
    Fixed rounding of figures used in clauses
    Improved balance of player interest in club vs wages
    Improved sale prices of low valued youth players
    Fixed club withdrawing loan offer when negotiations are met
    Fixed DOF not adhering to maximum amount when adding players to transfer targets
    Fixed exploit allowing acceptance of £0 bids
    Fixed trigger of wage after international appearance clause
    Fixed career games clause including appearances when out on loan
    Fixed being able to offer automatic one year contract extension in final season to young players

TUTORIALS
    Fixed ‘Tutorial Master’ achievement
    Fixed ‘Learning the Ropes’ achievement

MATCH ENGINE (v 1324)
    More improvements to on ball decision making and pass choice
    Improved central midfielder starting position when team is in possession
    Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending
    Fixed a couple of bugs causing players to fail to turn to face required direction properly
    Improved facing direction of player marking opponent who is moving onto a pass
    Fixed bug allowing players being able to partially "go through" other players to get ball without being penalised
    Small tweaks to improve the way players move onto passes or loose balls
    Reduced some instances of closing down of keeper when clearly illogical in context of player and his instructions
    Cleaned up a few bugs that delayed retrieval of ball at set pieces or kick offs
    A bunch of ball physics fixes mainly related to collisions and ball spin after bounce
    Reduced slightly unrealistic ball to player deflections
    More improvements to pass choice AI
    Tweaks to run with ball and first touch AI
    Reduced tackles that end in own goals
    Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions
    Fixed some dodgy marking at mid pitch free kicks
    Improved full back positioning when waiting for short keeper distribution
    Improved near and far post corner aim point
    Some further ball physics fixes and refinements
    Fixed goal not always given if ball stops just over goal line
    Fixed some rare instances of player collision avoidance failing
    Further refinements to pass AI
    Improved pass, shot or header accuracy logic
    Further improvements to player reactions to the ball
    Fixed defences staying to deep just after corner taken
    Refined player positioning when defending free kicks from wide
    Made players press more collectively and aggressively when required
    Improved positioning of defenders against attackers running at pace
    Refined tackling AI a bit
    Improved facing direction while marking opponent around own area
    Fixed some more keeper AI bugs
    Improved collision avoidance AI slightly
    Fine tuned ball trajectory chosen by player for kick, header etc.
    Fine tuned kick and header accuracy logic
    Fine-tuned pass and general on ball AI
    Tuned long shot frequency and AI
    Toned down pressing slightly in certain situations
    Improved marking and engagement of ball player in wide areas
    Tuned tackling AI further
    Couple of small fixes to player reactions
    Fixed some small player pathing anomalies
    Fixed a couple of goalkeeper AI anomalies
    Improved marking and engagement of ball player further
    Fixed some instances of risky keeper distribution
    Fine-tuned kick/header accuracy

sweet jesus only a 93 mb download! its a treat compared to bf3's 4gb ones!

Disappointed they fixed this
    Reduced tackles that end in own goals

I seemed to get so many of these in my favour dont know who is going to score for my West Brom team now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Do those changes kick in on my current game or only when I begin a new game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Close your game and re-open it, it should update and you can carry on as normal with the new changes.

Advertisement