Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2013 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

taken from another forum

1. Interactivity with more people involved in being a manager. Board discussions could give greater range of objectives, such as making x amount of money to fund some form of club development.

2. Boards/owners should be given more of a personality. If you have a dominant owner then the owner should get more involved - e.g. abramovich makes all decisions at chelsea, redknapp makes suggestions and levy makes decisions at spurs, and the arsenal board have strong financial control but wenger has almost absolute involvement in everything. If you are managing arsenal or a club with a similar board, they might give you involvement within sponsership negotiations etc. This would mean that rather than choosing any club in the game and the experience being reasonably similar with the level of difficulty depending on your budget, you'd be able to choose from a pool of clubs that would give you the type of manager involvement that you are wanting to experience.

3. More incentive in the game to get involved with youth development and training rather than just setting controls at the beginning of the season. If a training engine; a more basic but similar to the match engine could be integrated and training drills created (focus on shooting into the corners, off the ball drills, corner drills etc.). Not only would this give a more realistic portrayal of the manager, who is usually also a coach, but it would also mean that the person sat clicking a mouse on the computer is getting a better understanding of tactical coaching - hopefully helping get more people into real-life coaching.

4. Youth development screen. Role of an academy manager able to be staffed - someone who can monitor youth development and update you accordingly on u14, u16 and 18 teams. Discussions could focus on specific player training and club ethos training (Barcelona/Dortmund as examples). This area of the game could also have a specific scouting area, looking for new youth in the area/worldwide to bring into the academy.

5. The tactical options are limited by little dots on the tactics screen. Greater freedom of players base position badly needed. Greater selection of player types. Arshavin or David Silva for instance aren't inside forwards or wingers, they are a modern breed of a player that starts wide, and cuts inside - they're an attacking player that can't be classed as a forward or a winger. FM can feel free to assign a name to this role, but it needs to be accounted for.

6. Interaction choices should be far more scenario dependent, i don't just want to tell them to 'do it for the fans' every single time in order to try and stir up a bit of passion.

7. Similarly media and player interaction should be more scenario dependent and interesting.

8. Staff roling needs to be more realistic and varied; youth scouts, defensive coaches etc. On the same point it drives me mad that your medical team consists of 1 or 2 physio's. Part of a managers job is to make sure that your players are eating the correct things, so a nutritionist should be part of the staff. I don't want an assessment of a broken leg from a physio, i want it from a club doctor. Don't mean to put down physio's but there should be a bit more to controlling the conditioning of your squad than a bloke with a sponge...

9. Linked in to point 2, if you are at a club where you have involvement in a lot with the board, you should have a bit more input into stadium development. Potentially the 3d match engine could start by zooming from outside the stadium to the pitch view, giving the opportunity to see any development that goes on. Stadium development shouldn't just be putting in 20,000 more seats, but also new fan facilities to improve club appeal and grow fanbase in local area. I was Getafe manager for a long time and despite competing with Real and Barca season on season the fanbase could never grow because it's a low rep club.

10. International management mode needs to be a bigger experience than just looking at a pool of players and seeing who's not injured. Interaction with club managers should be feasible, as well as training camps to develop the squad mentality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Something I thought of the other day. I think it would be a good idea to be able to take the job of Under 17's, Reserve team etc at club level. That's where most managers start. It would mean less power, but would be a good proving ground if you wanted to go as realistic as possible.

iv said this a million times before and some people rule me out of order and some agree with me, here it goes

winning a trophy is such a let down! all you get is a generic message in your inbox and thats the end of it

it should be revamped!!! better and specific interviews maybe, a video perhaps of the team lifting the trophy/open top bus?, maybe even a virtual club trophy cabnet with all the trophies amassed can be stored

any other thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Something to do with the money you earn.

baz2009 wrote: »

blackjack and hookers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

If you are really intent on seeing any of your changes happening in new games I'd suggest joining the forum at Sports Interactive cos they most likely aren't reading this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I'd put my wage back into the club if I could :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I'd put my wage back into the club if I could :)

Pay the wages of some hot prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One could spend it on a copy of Sims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

When's release date??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

probably october

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Here's an idea I have been musing.

How about the establishment of a few newspapers in-game?

We could have journalists from these newspapers quiz us instead of generic ones.
    This would mean we could build up a good relationship with a certain newspaper or journalist.

Should something to this degree be implemented I feel there should be a dynamic within the game whereby we as coaches could truly upset players we want to buy by declaring certain things to a magazine/newspaper of our choice... this would lea to a very fascinating aspect where the player could respond to the newspaper and we could gauge certain factors related to our interest in him.

This is IMO superior to the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think they need to improve the offside decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd love to be able to personally congratulate a player for winning their first senior cap for their country. Especially when they credit it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Haven't got the best of playing time from FM 2012.

However, just got my new MBP so think i'll be firing her up tonight and then once FM 2013 comes along it's game over for myself. My life goes out the window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭talla10

I think nobody should be allowed manage a top flight club without being offered I think you have to earn it!

Also like to see monthly and/or annual fan meetings where fans can ask questions and make feelings known better than through fans spokesperson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Something I thought of the other day. I think it would be a good idea to be able to take the job of Under 17's, Reserve team etc at club level. That's where most managers start. It would mean less power, but would be a good proving ground if you wanted to go as realistic as possible.

I think you can do this already, it's in the manager options but you obviously have to still be in charge of the senior team.

flyswatter wrote: »
    I think you can do this already, it's in the manager options but you obviously have to still be in charge of the senior team.

You can control them alright, I mean only having that job. No say in the senior team, only able to make recommendations for signings etc. No owner in their right mind would give a former Sunday League player with zero experience the role of first team manager but they might give you a chance at Reserve level.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

From playing FM 2012 I would like to see the role of the Chief Executive developed. I found myself wasting a lot of time negotiating with agents over wages, add ons and signing on fee's. This part of the game wasn't so bad until the introduction of agents. Even renewing contracts has become a lengthy process.

Having the option to let somebody else do this would certainly add to the enjoyment of the game and make it more realistic. There should be different models for different clubs. Man Utd for example have David Gill who basically carries out Ferguson's instructions. It would be nice to be able to say I want a midfielder from my shortlist who is under 23, spend no more than 50% of my transfer budget, keep the wage within 10% of our current top earner and don't pay excessive agent fee's. The Chief Exec could then report back with possible targets and you can give the deal the go ahead.

There could be different models such as the way Arsenal and Chelsea operate. Both opposite ends of the spectrum. Users could also have the option to disable the feature and deal with all transfers / contracts themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

talla10 wrote: »
    I think nobody should be allowed manage a top flight club without being offered I think you have to earn it!

Also like to see monthly and/or annual fan meetings where fans can ask questions and make feelings known better than through fans spokesperson.

It's not an RPG. Some people like to get in quickly with top flight teams and there's no harm in that. Why not manage your dream team with their current set of players?

Your suggestion means by the time they've levelled far enough, any that might still be there would be rotation/retired players.

If you want to play from lower leagues to topflight by gaining a reputation, you can. Nothing to stop you from doing that. But enforcing a levelling system could end up cutting out a substantial amount of their target audience.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would love to be able to sell my players.......

I've got top quality players going for dirt cheap, or on loan where i cover 90% of wages and no one wants : /

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Id also like to give players a testimonial, Phil Bardsley has just retired from my Sunderland team and hes played over 300 games for me and has been at the club over 10 years. It would be a nice touch as all i could do is offer him a coaching job

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

louthguy25 wrote: »
    Id also like to give players a testimonial, Phil Bardsley has just retired from my Sunderland team and hes played over 300 games for me and has been at the club over 10 years. It would be a nice touch as all i could do is offer him a coaching job

I like this idea

TheDoc wrote: »
    Would love to be able to sell my players.......

I've got top quality players going for dirt cheap, or on loan where i cover 90% of wages and no one wants : /

I've offered players for free before and not a single club in the entire game was interested. That definitely needs to be improved. I find it very hard to believe that no club would be interested in a player for free.

Same with loan deals where I cover 100% of the wage and allow cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's two things this game really needs which I would love to see. The mechanics of the game are really good already and are constantly being improved, but what's missing?

Atmosphere. Apart from the same press conference lines and news reports over and over, there is very little of the atmosphere around big games and cup matches to be found in the game. This could be fixed with better crowd sounds, things like chants and flags in the stands etc. Maybe some sort of Sky Sports style intro to the bigger games. Magazine and newspaper articles with more variety. I'm sure there are many other things that could be done too.

Personality. It's impossible to get attached to players in the game, whether players at your club that you love, or players at other clubs that you hate. Same goes for managers and staff. Everybody has a few of the same rehashed statements they make, there's nothing unique about anybody. There should be a database of thousands of things that players and staff can say and feel that fit with their personality profile and mood, along with some sort of "player story" arc for each person. This would add a bit of character to the game and create a bit more immersion.

As it stands, I have no problem chopping a player who has been at my club for years once he hits a rough patch, because I have no attachment to him as a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wonder will buy back clauses come into it as Barca seem to be putting them on every player they " sell " nowadays.

It would be an interesting idea if you have a good young player that just cant find away into your squad and you put a buy back clause in place somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wonder will buy back clauses come into it as Barca seem to be putting them on every player they " sell " nowadays.

It would be an interesting idea if you have a good young player that just cant find away into your squad and you put a buy back clause in place somewhere down the line.

These are already in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

elefant wrote: »

Are they? :o

Something I've missed so, I've seen the % of next sale and % of profit from next sale, never noticed the buy back clause.

Would have been handy for a few transfers. :o

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »

They are. Whenever someone bids for a player I don't want to sell, instead of rejecting it and potentially annoying the player by refusing him the chance, I negotiate and ask for a huge fee and a tiny buy back fee. Shockingly, not a single team has been interested in my offer of £600,000,000 and a buy back fee of £1 :D

Advertisement