Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2013 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

nbar12 wrote: »
    FM13 is currently downloading, any suggestions who I should manage!?

Leeds and Forest have been my 2 big saves this year, great fun... Depends what sort of game you're looking for though, I'm always a Championship/League 1 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

nbar12 wrote: »
    FM13 is currently downloading, any suggestions who I should manage!?

if ur only playing the game now go for a big team for a few season its easier to get used to tactics etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

For a first game I'd suggest a mid-table Premier League team. You'll have plenty of money (relatively speaking) and room to grow your team over a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Leeds and Forest have been my 2 big saves this year, great fun... Depends what sort of game you're looking for though, I'm always a Championship/League 1 side.

Yeah I usually start Championship, I like the sound of Forest, it's between those, Hull City or Brighton!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Has anyone played the classic mode much?

• Advertisement

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Has anyone played the classic mode much?

I played about 8 seasons with a save anything you wanna know?

Nolars wrote: »
    I played about 8 seasons with a save anything you wanna know?

Is it worth playing? Bearing in mind I like the depth of the full game.

Is it worth playing? Bearing in mind I like the depth of the full game.

I rather and love the in depth game myself but if you are stuck for time or anything its a great little mode. Can do a season easy in about 4 hours simming games. Results are fairly accurate I found.

In my Celtic save it took me 5 season to win the champions league, it took about the same on the normal mode for me.

I love being able to complete 2 seasons in a day.

The only thing I don't like about is you only have 1 scout so finding players is a little bit harder I find.

Do any of you guys have a 4/5 star rating from the estimated game speed rating? I have a 1/2 star rating with minimal leagues. What do you need to really power this game?

Do any of you guys have a 4/5 star rating from the estimated game speed rating? I have a 1/2 star rating with minimal leagues. What do you need to really power this game?

I have a 2 star rating but tbf I don't have a graphics card in at the moment. Mine runs great, would be interested to see it run on a 5 star system though?

• Advertisement

I have a 2 star rating but tbf I don't have a graphics card in at the moment. Mine runs great, would be interested to see it run on a 5 star system though?

I'd like to know what sort of hardware would be required to run this game at its best.

I'd like to know what sort of hardware would be required to run this game at its best.

Doesn't require that much to be honest I have an i3-2120 @ 3.3Ghz and I get 5 star computer performance, 8gb ram. GPU power doesn't really matter.

An i5 or i7 would be beast you could probably run 7 or 8 leagues easy.

Apologies, I'm running on an i5, 8gb ram, on an SSD so it's all pretty quick, think I have about 10 leagues loaded up, large database and about 10 countries ticked for all players.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've got 5 star performance on mine and it's a slightly older machine. It's 2.4GHz quad core and 4GB RAM. I'm playing with full German, Spanish and Dutch leagues with a medium database.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've got 5 star performance on mine and it's a slightly older machine. It's 2.4GHz quad core and 4GB RAM. I'm playing with full German, Spanish and Dutch leagues with a medium database.

Presumably with a graphics card on that too? Afaik the stars are an indication of how well the match engine runs (3D capabilities)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Presumably with a graphics card on that too? Afaik the stars are an indication of how well the match engine runs (3D capabilities)

Yeah, it's a Radeon HD 2600 XT. I know nothing about graphics cards, so I've no idea if that's any way decent or a pile of crap.

There are two sets of stars - Estimated Game Speed (as mentioned, mine is 5 stars) and 3D Graphics Capability (2.5 stars).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just beat Villa 10-0 as Spurs in 2026. Two players got hatricks and Lukaku gets 4....IN HIS DEBUT! Ok, two penatlies, but still. So thrilled with that. Instant payback of his transfer fee.

spurs10nilwin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I have half a star :cool:

Picked Man Utd, just beat Dortmund 3-0 at home with my fringe team in the champions league :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I feel like Im in a rut with my current save, I have started off unemployed, got a job with Luton eventually, did well, took the Ipswich job, did alright, nothing special, took over Wolves after Ipswich sacked me for not getting promoted (on a negative budget in the Championship :)) Wolves headhunted me pretty quick and I took them up via the playoffs the next season thanks to some fantastic work by a couple of loan sigings, I kept them in the league for 3 seasons, upgraded facilities, the staff the squad but felt I could do no more with them and when Fulham came knocking with their bid 9 million transfer budget I couldn't say no

There is only one problem, I have scouted well, I have signed well, my players are wanted by the likes of AC Milan, Man City and the likes yet I cannot get a league finish above 12th place, this has never happened to be before, we are so inconsistent its not funny, my last 3 matches, drew with Arsenal, got stuffed by Sunderland and destroyed Chelsea, all in the space of ten days!

How many seasons have you been with Fulham now? Time for a drastic change in tactics maybe? Playing my Leeds save, previous season I finished 4th, begin the new season all over the place and then had to start playing with 2 up front for the first time in 4 seasons :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is it me or does every team play 4-2-3-1?

IvySlayer wrote: »

Some sort of 451 variation normally, there's not many who use 2 up front at all. I did face a 3-5-2 for the first time in ages this season though. I guess like irl most teams only using 1 up front now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

4-3-3 for me

3 CMs, AMC and 2 strikers.

Leaves me a bit weak on the wings but it seems to work well with 3 top CMs

Plus with my attacking abilities (200m worth or so) i can usually afford to let in a goal or 2 :)

How many seasons have you been with Fulham now? Time for a drastic change in tactics maybe? Playing my Leeds save, previous season I finished 4th, begin the new season all over the place and then had to start playing with 2 up front for the first time in 4 seasons :/

Was with Fulham for 5 seasons in total, finished up last season in 9th place and they sacked me! Best ever league finish but they felt they needed a change in direction, fair enough, I had taken them from relegation fodder to at least a solid safe Prem team and signed some excellent players (who did brilliantly this current season I might add) just didn't work out

I turned down a few jobs over the summer then took on Rayo Vallecano in Spain who were bottom of the league in November, leading them to what looks like an excellent 11th place finish, barring I lose the last two games by an extraordinary amount of goals, if results go my way I could make top ten.

Not sure what Ill do then, feel like I redeemed my reputation a little anyway..... I have looked for teams in trouble thus far, maybe I will take on a team with better aspirations then fighting relegation and try to take them to Europe if possible.

I think Ill stay here one more season anyway since they love me now for what we have achieved this season, went on a run of 11 games unbeaten including 8 wins which made me safe, beating the current champs Valencia and drawing with the big lads Barca and Madrid.

kryogen wrote: »
    Was with Fulham for 5 seasons in total, finished up last season in 9th place and they sacked me! Best ever league finish but they felt they needed a change in direction, fair enough, I had taken them from relegation fodder to at least a solid safe Prem team and signed some excellent players (who did brilliantly this current season I might add) just didn't work out

I turned down a few jobs over the summer then took on Rayo Vallecano in Spain who were bottom of the league in November, leading them to what looks like an excellent 11th place finish, barring I lose the last two games by an extraordinary amount of goals, if results go my way I could make top ten.

Not sure what Ill do then, feel like I redeemed my reputation a little anyway..... I have looked for teams in trouble thus far, maybe I will take on a team with better aspirations then fighting relegation and try to take them to Europe if possible.

I think Ill stay here one more season anyway since they love me now for what we have achieved this season, went on a run of 11 games unbeaten including 8 wins which made me safe, beating the current champs Valencia and drawing with the big lads Barca and Madrid.

Nice, I've never had a save where I've moved around that much at all, might give it a go next year...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

danniemcq wrote: »
    4-3-3 for me

3 CMs, AMC and 2 strikers.

Leaves me a bit weak on the wings but it seems to work well with 3 top CMs

Plus with my attacking abilities (200m worth or so) i can usually afford to let in a goal or 2 :)

I'm the same way.

On a related note though, does anyone have suggestions of readings for people who might not be that good at the game and want to improve :P I've only ever played seriously as the bigger teams. Truth be told, whenever I'd start with smaller teams, I don't know what to do. I read people who get these big streaks with small teams, or who just "know" what players to sign and which to get rid of, but I just don't think I'm able to do that at all.

I'd love to start an "Unemployed" game and work my way up, but when I have in the past, I generally don't do great and can often find myself searching for jobs with none coming up (just like the real world :pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I'm quite a fan of journeyman games - start unemployed with little/no experience and then work your way up. The key is knowing when to jump ship and score a move to a bigger club/league
    Depends on what you play and what league you're in. I find that 4-4-2 is a lot more common in lower leagues. Aside from that my 4-3-3 tends to encounter either 4-1-2-1-2 (wide) or 3-5-2. Apparently opposing managers either abandon or pack the centre of the park when playing me

I'm the same way.

On a related note though, does anyone have suggestions of readings for people who might not be that good at the game and want to improve :P I've only ever played seriously as the bigger teams. Truth be told, whenever I'd start with smaller teams, I don't know what to do. I read people who get these big streaks with small teams, or who just "know" what players to sign and which to get rid of, but I just don't think I'm able to do that at all.

I'd love to start an "Unemployed" game and work my way up, but when I have in the past, I generally don't do great and can often find myself searching for jobs with none coming up (just like the real world :pac:).

Staff and facilities my man, those are the two most important things to get right in the lower leagues/not the top level teams

Getting the right staff around you makes your job so much easier, good scouting is essential and the facilities to help these players reach the potential etc

Just to update my Rayo game, my methods and tactics worked a hell of a lot better here, I finished 5th in the league last season and qualified for the Europa league, expected to fight against relegation and with a balance of -8million I am ****ing delighted with how that went, of course the board are still dickheads and have now set me the target of Euro cup minimum this season despite having no extra funds really :)

Going alright though, cant wait to get spanked in Europe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but could anyone recommend a laptop to buy new/second hand that would run the game at this speed? Havent had it in a few years and miss it badly..Cheers :)

Advertisement