Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats peeing in sink and counter

• 20-06-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. We have 2 indoor cats who up until a few weeks ago have been fairly good using their litter boxes for peeing in.

We are in a house that the only place they can stay at night is the kitchen. A few weeks ago one of the cats has decided to use the sink to pee in and from last week another has now used the counter beside the cooker hob.

It’s getting so frustrating coming down every morning and finding this mess.

They have 3 litter boxes located in the kitchen - in a typical 24hours they always poo in them without fail and one of them will use it to pee but the other 2 incidents have to be controlled.

I've currently put their dry mix in the sink to eat and their wet food near the cooker hob hoping that they get the message.

I've looked at the ssscat thing and it seems to be way overpriced for what it does.

Any tips from similar experiences would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

We actually just started experiencing the exact same thing with one of our cats. He only seems to do it if the cat lit isn't as clean as he'd like. Pissed on the cooker when the sink has plates in it.

We just make sure the cat lit isn't too dirty and started changing more regularly and he doens't do it anymore.

Sounds awful but for the moment I'd just make sure your sink is free of everything so you can just pour boling water over it in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi, you should have a look at felinexpress.org they have info on just about every moggy related issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

First port of call is a vet visit to rule out urinary issues such as an infection or crystals, this is actually a very common symptom of such issues. Then look at behavioural causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Zapperzy wrote: »
    First port of call is a vet visit to rule out urinary issues such as an infection or crystals, this is actually a very common symptom of such issues. Then look at behavioural causes.
    I definitely agree on a trip to the vet to get them checked. As the non-litterbox peeing has started suddenly, infection of some kind is the most likely reason.

I had a similar situation years ago with 2 cats, both diagnosed with UTI.
    They experience pain when they urinate and they begin to associate the litterbox with the pain and so they avoid it.
    They seek out cool or cold surfaces to pee on. I assume the pain is a burning stinging pain so that makes some sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Rancid wrote: »
    I definitely agree on a trip to the vet to get them checked. As the non-litterbox peeing has started suddenly, infection of some kind is the most likely reason.

I had a similar situation years ago with 2 cats, both diagnosed with UTI.
    They experience pain when they urinate and they begin to associate the litterbox with the pain and so they avoid it.
    They seek out cool or cold surfaces to pee on. I assume the pain is a burning stinging pain so that makes some sense.

Thanks will probably do that - I forked out on a ssscat device so going to try that.

If they do have UTI - how exactly did you get your cats to return to the litter boxes once they were cured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Could you put one of the litter boxes in a back hall or bathroom attached to the kitchen? I find my female cat won't use the litter tray if other cat in same room, maybe feels intimidated or just wants a bit of privacy. Defo rule out the uti first with vet.

Whatever happens you will have to clean the area thoroughly (which I'm sure you have) but also spray down with an enzyme cleaner like 'urine off' to get rid of any trace or chances or they will repeat the habit. You can also make your own version with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide 3% and vinegar. Google for correct procedure and amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wish my tom would pee in the sink instead of on the windowsill in the living room. The varnish is destroyed at this stage. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

PCros wrote: »
    Thanks will probably do that - I forked out on a ssscat device so going to try that.

If they do have UTI - how exactly did you get your cats to return to the litter boxes once they were cured?
    As far as I can remember it only took a day or 2 for them to get back to normal, once the pain was gone they naturally used the litter box.
    Clean them thoroughly and refill with litter, or they'll be able to detect the smell they associate with the pain!

Let us know how you get on and good luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I was also advised just to change the type of litter used too in case they associate the surface with pain, although you may not need to just keep it in mind.

Advertisement