Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Kino is reopening as a music venue!

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I saw some people inside the Kino working yesterday as I passed.
    I heard on twitter this morning that it's going to reopen as
    an all ages music venue

they're on twitter and facebook.

(no affiliation, just pleased to see something new open up in Cork).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

thats really cool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

While it is good to see somethng is being done with the property and, as the OP said, something new opening up...i must say I still find this a bit depressing.

I loved Kino. I had moved away from Cork before it closed down, but I always tried to make excuses to go there when i was living in the city.

Like in 'Cinema Paradisio', i hoped that some day in the distant future i could return to Cork and things would be exactly as I left them. :mad: Not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

a music venue seemed the most logical use for the building especially as an unlicensed all ages venue and cafe.

I wish them the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Brilliant, always feared the place would get knocked in favor of another empty apartment complex.

Hopefully the plan for all ages gigs stays and doesn't get killed off by the cost of insurance for having under 18's on the premises
    might be wrong, but I remember hearing that was one of the reasons the half moon theater stopped doing it about 10 years ago

And hopefully younger bands make use of it too, the only half decent band I've been in split by the time we were old enough to play in pubs,
    we were all working or studying/working by that time and gave up on the idea as there was no where to play when we had the time and the drive to do it
    plus, it was our own material rather than two hours of brown eyed girl...sex on fire... wedding reception music, making it trickier again to get gigs

Right now, the lv and the oliver plunkett are the only places doing open mic sessions as The Slate is gone, and Fred Zeps cancelled theirs due to a lack of interest
    so somewhere new like this might be a good kick start to people wanting to preform their own material

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If they're keeping the seats then I hope that they'll give them more space. The one thing that put me off the place, was that I hated having my knees jammed into the seats in front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

might be wrong, but I remember hearing that was one of the reasons the half moon theater stopped doing it about 10 years ago

Are you talking the blast days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Those were some great times!

That might be it, I remember there was something to do with coca-cola at one time, might be the same thing alright

That might be it, I remember there was something to do with coca-cola at one time, might be the same thing alright

Yeah that's the one. The Coca Cola sponsored one was the Blast Beat competition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They moved it too behind st john's college,an crusicin lain is it? It was never the same after that imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Yeah that's the one. The Coca Cola sponsored one was the Blast Beat competition.
    I was in a band that played a lot of those blast gigs (Kallus). Don't know why they stopped but we stopped playing them because your man running them was a crook!
    Always good to see a new venue opening in Cork:)

Bassfish wrote: »
    Don't know why they stopped but we stopped playing them because your man running them was a crook!

I remember hearing that too, seems to be a common thing with promoters working with young unknown bands playing their first gigs
    Celtic Cub Syndrome: minimal work/maximum profit without giving taught to the people needed to make it work

Anyway, I hope they keep the cinema screen and projector, it would make an interesting stage background in a Velvet Underground kinda way

I was in a band that played a lot of those blast gigs (Kallus). Don't know why they stopped but we stopped playing them because your man running them was a crook!

Ha I think ye played one of the first Blast gigs I went to, I remember ye playing a savage Rage cover anyway!

Yeah I also heard things about the promoter.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

apparently my younger brother who is 16 is behind the project, I just saw it on his Facebook page. seams like a really good idea for the place

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ha I think ye played one of the first Blast gigs I went to, I remember ye playing a savage Rage cover anyway!

Yeah I also heard things about the promoter.
    Ha, memories. Ya we used to play killing in the name.
    Unfortunately one thing I've learned from experience is that three quarters of people in the music business are either incompetent or sheer con artists.

I played blast too with my band,october 05,acidtone played as well and really stole the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I played blast too with my band,october 05,acidtone played as well and really stole the show

I remember seeing Acidtone play in the half moon and they really blew me away. Some of there stuff is up on youtube now, but after all these years it doesn't sound great.
    ... as The Slate is gone...

Has the Slate really closed down? I've been out of Cork for a couple of weeks so know nothing about what is going on at home. Would really be a big blow to lose it, especially after the Quad is now long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

I think he just meant they don't do music there anymore, the bars still there alright. That whole building is owned by the publicans, the names on the bars/club just change every couple of years ;)

Advertisement