Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do car rental companies try it on

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I recently returned from a trip to canada we hired a car from budget it was on their website for around 500 we got to the airport and decided to pay for the petrol in the tank and add a second driver and a gps all this came to about 560
    we paid by credit card there and then.

I get back to Ireland and I see they have taken another 400 dollars from my credit card on the day I dropped off the car I email them and they say that it was all this insurance that they say i added. I know that we refused all offers of addition all insurance

Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From what I've seen on other threads this is pretty much business as usual for Budget, their quote is typically lower than Hertz/Avis but they find some way to screw you and you end up paying more in the end.

To answer your question: No, of course they cannot do what they did. Did you hang on to the copy of the contract they gave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I always rent from Enterprise (especially in the US and Canada) and have never had an issue.

Their online quotes are always without insurance, etc, but if you don't take insurance from them you need to provide proof that you are insured to drive their vehicles. More often than not, you have to take their insurance, which can be almost as much as renting the car itself.

But, they should only charge what was signed for when you rented the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

coylemj wrote: »
    From what I've seen on other threads this is pretty much business as usual for Budget, their quote is typically lower than Hertz/Avis but they find some way to screw you and you end up paying more in the end.

To answer your question: No, of course they cannot do what they did. Did you hang on to the copy of the contract they gave you?

Still looking for it. :(

Advertisement