Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course fishing around dublin

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi,im new to course fishing and looking for somewhere to start fishing.where are the best places in and around dublin.how much does a permit cost for blessinton or are the canals or the resivior in lexlip any better than blessintion.thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You don't need a permit to coarse fish on the canals around Dublin. I have never fished either of those locations, so I cant help there. There are fish in all the stretches along the Royal canal. Maynooth, Kilcock and Confey are fishing pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dardywoo

COYW wrote: »
    You don't need a permit to coarse fish on the canals around Dublin. I have never fished either of those locations, so I cant help there. There are fish in all the stretches along the Royal canal. Maynooth, Kilcock and Confey are fishing pretty well.

Hi, haven't fished in 25+years and trying to get back into it. don't know where to fish around lucan/leixlip though without getting hassled from arseholes:mad:. read on the www yesterday that the canal was fishing well and i took a trip to Cope bridge, Confey last night to see where was good to fish. looks ok. only problem is where can i park the car?? also looked at the railway crossing up at the 13th lock, again where to park? any help/info is appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Dardywoo wrote: »
    Hi, haven't fished in 25+years and trying to get back into it. don't know where to fish around lucan/leixlip though without getting hassled from arseholes:mad:. read on the www yesterday that the canal was fishing well and i took a trip to Cope bridge, Confey last night to see where was good to fish. looks ok. only problem is where can i park the car?? also looked at the railway crossing up at the 13th lock, again where to park? any help/info is appreciated.:)

On my way out now but I will drop you a PM later. If I don't do so by tomorrow, send me a reminder PM, please. I can help you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

Dardywoo wrote: »
    Hi, haven't fished in 25+years and trying to get back into it. don't know where to fish around lucan/leixlip though without getting hassled from arseholes:mad:.

I'm in almost the same situation as yourself. Just turned 40 and haven't fished since my early 20's and looking to start again.

I bought a rod this morning and spent the afternoon fishing the stretch of the Royal Canal from Maynooth train station down towards Leixlip. I caught about 16 small roach, one decent roach (about 9 inches) and a couple of perch. I saw a pike but he seemed completely uninterested in my maggot so I let him be.

I had no hassle from anyone. Saw only one other person fishing, a dozen joggers and a few elderly couples walking their dogs.

When I arrived I was getting bites on almost every cast, but my lack of practice meant I missed most of them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dardywoo

Barry0 wrote: »
    I'm in almost the same situation as yourself. Just turned 40 and haven't fished since my early 20's and looking to start again.

I bought a rod this morning and spent the afternoon fishing the stretch of the Royal Canal from Maynooth train station down towards Leixlip. I caught about 16 small roach, one decent roach (about 9 inches) and a couple of perch. I saw a pike but he seemed completely uninterested in my maggot so I let him be.

I had no hassle from anyone. Saw only one other person fishing, a dozen joggers and a few elderly couples walking their dogs.

When I arrived I was getting bites on almost every cast, but my lack of practice meant I missed most of them. :o

Sounds like a good spot and sounds like you haven't lost the touch. Will try to hit around there next weekend. Tight lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

To answer the question about Blessington Lake
    The cost of a day adult permit is €5 for course or trout.
    Catch and release on all course fishs and a bag limit of the trout.
    The area has been fishing better this year than the past few on all species.
    We hire boats on the lake so have have licences out by Ballyknockan or if it is easier you can get them in Blessington at the Maxol Station.

http://www.blessingtonlakeboathire.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Hey guys,

Could somebody send me a pm regarding a good place to coarse fish in Maynooth/KIlcock? I have never fished out that direction. I usually use a 30 gram feeder with a maggot or sweetcorn. Is this ok? Do you need to consider the depths out that direction? In other words, when is best to fish the canal?

Thanks!

Advertisement