Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iPhone 3GS...poor product. Terrible customer service!!

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭

Have been using 3GS for 2 years. Am ON 2 charges a day if I use the Internet(O2). The Settings function freezes the screen on a regular basis. Customer service(for me) isn't there(I get diverted to a helpdesk that costs nearly €40 for assistance). Since ios5, things have gotten worse rather than improving. Anyone else unhappy with apples products and customer service?

Are u happy with your apple? 13 votes

Yes?
    0% 0 votes
    No?
    84% 11 votes
    Couldn't give a rats arße
    15% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is this a consumer issue?, your not looking for any specific advise you just want to complain in general...hence the pointless poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is this a consumer issue?, your not looking for any specific advise you just want to complain in general...hence the pointless poll.

Is a consumer issue because I have an iPhone, and can't get any assistance from apple without paying for it. If I buy a tv in a shop and it acts up..the shop will(as a general rule)help, without having to go to the small claims court.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bababa wrote: »
    Is a consumer issue because I have an iPhone, and can't get any assistance from apple without paying for it. If I buy a tv in a shop and it acts up..the shop will(as a general rule)help, without having to go to the small claims court.

See, perhaps you should have put this in your opening post instead of asking the very general question of
    Anyone else unhappy with apples products and customer service?

and posting a very pointless poll, what exactly have you tried, how exactly is it freezing, is it freezing when you are doing certain stuff etc etc. What exactly have Apple advised you, how long is the issue ongoing.

Provide more info and people can help.

Cabaal wrote: »

See, perhaps you should have put this in your opening post instead of asking the very general question of
    Anyone else unhappy with apples products and customer service?

and posting a very pointless poll, what exactly have you tried, how exactly is it freezing, is it freezing when you are doing certain stuff etc etc. What exactly have Apple advised you, how long is the issue ongoing.

Provide more info and people can help.

Is just a poll. Nothing to get worked up about. Ios5 has been a disaster and I can't revert to ios4. The settings screen freezes blank (randomly)more often than I care to think.
    Apple haven't advised me as I don't get to speak to anyone. Automatically forwarded to a prepay help service.
    The issue has been ongoing since I got the device.

The battery has always been rubbish. 1-2 charges a day if I use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I have an iPhone 3GS too and I have noticed that since iOS 5 it has slowed down but that is just because your (our) phones are 2 generations old, 3 years which in technology terms is a long time. You can't expect the latest version of OS to run smooth as you like on all versions of the phone and still bring new features etc..

There is nothing Apple will be able to do to improve the hardward which runs the OS, the best thing you can do is remove any unused apps\movies\music from the phone or just bite the bullet and upgrade to a higher spec phone. Search on google for these suggestions (and others)

Also, Its not like you just bought the phone yesterday...you've got 2 years out of it.

BTW - I am very happy with my iPhone but am not going to vote on the pointless poll above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Let's say that you had the iphone for 2 years.

You may have a case actually

During the claim period (see above), consumers may claim, among other things, free repair or replacement where a product does not correspond to the contract. Some EU member states, including Finland, Ireland, UK, Netherlands and Sweden, have a claim period that is longer than 2 years from date of delivery. Please contact your local European Consumer Centre for details of the position in your country.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

A common set of consumer rights for consumers are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased, which are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader.

http://www.eccireland.ie/topic.php?topic=5#subtopic_36

I have an iPhone 3GS too and I have noticed that since iOS 5 it has slowed down but that is just because your (our) phones are 2 generations old, 3 years which in technology terms is a long time. You can't expect the latest version of OS to run smooth as you like on all versions of the phone and still bring new features etc..

There is nothing Apple will be able to do to improve the hardward which runs the OS, the best thing you can do is remove any unused apps\movies\music from the phone or just bite the bullet and upgrade to a higher spec phone. Search on google for these suggestions (and others)

Also, Its not like you just bought the phone yesterday...you've got 2 years out of it.

BTW - I am very happy with my iPhone but am not going to vote on the pointless poll above.

I REPEAT:

It's been rubbish since I purchased it so the argument of time doesn't fit. I would expect more than 2 years out of such an expensive product(that I have looked after well).
    In relation to the update, apple prompted me to do it, and when I did it made things worse. Then they don't give the option to revert to ios4, so am stuck.

In relation to the poll..ur under no obligation. Thank you for pointing out its relevance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's been rubbish since I purchased it so the argument of time doesn't fit.

If it's been rubbish since you purchased it, why did you not get it looked at within the first few weeks? Why have you waited over 2 years to do something about it?

Best advice - get an upgrade to a non-apple phone which will suit your specific needs. You should be able to get an upgrade from your network provider after approx 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Have you tried restoring the phone's OS?

Personally, I have nothing but good things to say about Apple customer service, having dealt with ~12 reps over the years. Maybe try your luck with them again? What is the argument you are presenting to the Apple rep?

Paulw wrote: »
    It's been rubbish since I purchased it so the argument of time doesn't fit.

If it's been rubbish since you purchased it, why did you not get it looked at within the first few weeks? Why have you waited over 2 years to do something about it?

Best advice - get an upgrade to a non-apple phone which will suit your specific needs. You should be able to get an upgrade from your network provider after approx 18 months.

I did get it looked at. And sent back the same way. As I said..for such an expensive product...I expect more.

Can't get an upgrade from my provider as I would loose my price plan which is better than what they have to offer now

• Advertisement

Have you tried restoring the phone's OS?

Personally, I have nothing but good things to say about Apple customer service, having dealt with ~12 reps over the years. Maybe try your luck with them again? What is the argument you are presenting to the Apple rep?

I dont get to present an argument as I don't get to speak to anyone. Just get forwarded to a prepay service(said all this in precious post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe scrap the stupid poll and re-post to ask how to contact Apple Customer Support. Anything else is a Tech question and not a Consumers Issue. But you know that, as you have posted the same comments on the Computers and Technology forum.

Maybe scrap the stupid poll and re-post to ask how to contact Apple Customer Support. Anything else is a Tech question and not a Consumers Issue. But you know that, as you have posted the same comments on the Computers and Technology forum.

I know how to contact customer support. Stop with the troll on the poll rubbish. Ur not obliged to vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I dont get to present an argument as I don't get to speak to anyone. Just get forwarded to a prepay service(said all this in precious post)

I thought you meant you were being forwarded by the Apple Staff. That's very odd. What number are you dialing? I was in touch with apple about repair to an out of warranty iPhone, and I dealt with a staff member each time (Granted the answering machine didn't understand me when I tried to give them my serial number). You should always have an option to talk to someone. When you are given the voice prompt, perhaps try pressing 0 or * or #, or just don't answer the prompt to see if you can be put through to an agent.

I know how to contact customer support. Stop with the troll on the poll rubbish. Ur not obliged to vote!!!

You obviously don't know how to contact Customer Support if you don't get to talk to somebody. I always just called, got a rep, and cleared my problems.

And I resent your troll comment and aggressive reaction to evey reply you receive.

You obviously don't know how to contact Customer Support if you don't get to talk to somebody. I always just called, got a rep, and cleared my problems.

And I resent your troll comment and aggressive reaction to evey reply you receive.

Am not going to waste my time arguing with u. I have stated clearly my situation.

It's not my problem what u resent!! U made a smart comment about the poll which was unnecessary and uncalled for. I had perfectly civilised conversations via pm with other posters. You joined the thread. The thread didn't join you. If u have a problem...go elsewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The fact that you've got more voters for 'couldn't give a rats arse' than 'no' says it all.

Jev/N wrote: »
    The fact that you've got more voters for 'couldn't give a rats arse' than 'no' says it all.

Thanks for your constructive input.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

There's plenty of links on how to reset your iPhone (and most Apple devices) back to factory settings, perhaps try Google?

Other than that I don't know what you can do, any time I've had to ring Apple I'v always dealt with a CS representative directly, don't know why you aren't.

You're issue with the battery BTW is common for any smartphone device of the age you've posted, there's plenty of tech repair places that will give you a new battery, once you've managed to get through to a rep I'm sure you can arrange with Apple to do this themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bababa Poll removed as it does not fit the Consumer Issues nature of this forum.

Posters - please stick to the Consumer Issues aspect of this thread

dudara

• Advertisement

Today, I must take back what I said about apple customer support. I called O2 this morning, they put me through to apple, and I was put through to an extremely helpful support lady who did everything she could to advise me on my issues with my 3GS.

I still have issues with my phone, that need to be addressed(being able to do a fresh install of the OS without losing messages,call logs, Callander,notes, settings etc. The phone log really needs to be seperate from the OS..if it can be done)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I love my 3GS had it over 2 years. Li-Ion batteries degrade over time - thats reasonable and I thought everyone knew tbh.

I love my 3GS had it over 2 years. Li-Ion batteries degrade over time - thats reasonable and I thought everyone knew tbh.

Less than 2 years isn't good enough for such an expensive product. Simple as

Degradation of Li-On batteries beginning after 2 years is normal. Usage and treatment can reduce this further.

Unfortunately, the price of the product does not change the inherent nature of the batteries. But I'm stating the obvious, as we all know these batteries have always been a problem.

Degradation of Li-On batteries beginning after 2 years is normal. Usage and treatment can reduce this further.

Unfortunately, the price of the product does not change the inherent nature of the batteries. But I'm stating the obvious, as we all know these batteries have always been a problem.

The batteries are probably less than a year. Got phone replaced about August last year. Previous phone was a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So what did the nice lady on Apples support line say to you ? There are any number of reasons why your battery isn't lasting though I suspect you're not at all interested and instead just want to rant ?

But in case you are interested :

Not allowing it to fully charge before unplugging it.
    Not using the proper Apple charger.
    Lot's of apps still running in the background.
    Wifi & Bluetooth left on all the time.
    Watching lots of videos and anything that keeps the screen lit.
    Too high a brightness setting.

The problem with most smart phones is that they are not just used for phone calls, so all the use they get will drain the battery !

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just replace the battery - if you're not up to doing it yourself drop it in somewhere and get them to do it.

On that note anyone know where I can get a good value replacement 3GS battery? :)

ZENER wrote: »
    So what did the nice lady on Apples support line say to you ? There are any number of reasons why your battery isn't lasting though I suspect you're not at all interested and instead just want to rant ?

But in case you are interested :

Not allowing it to fully charge before unplugging it.
    Not using the proper Apple charger.
    Lot's of apps still running in the background.
    Wifi & Bluetooth left on all the time.
    Watching lots of videos and anything that keeps the screen lit.
    Too high a brightness setting.

The problem with most smart phones is that they are not just used for phone calls, so all the use they get will drain the battery !

Ken

Good assumptions there zener on the rant. Sound!!

The apple lady and myself discussed the obvious OS re install as well as what I mentioned in above post.

More often than not...full charge with apple charger

Have no apps so no prob there

Wifi rarely on. Bluetooth never on

Rarely watch vids

Auto brightness off and turned down

Cell data and 3G off when not in use

Clear shortcuts regularly

So that's about it really.

Just replace the battery - if you're not up to doing it yourself drop it in somewhere and get them to do it.

On that note anyone know where I can get a good value replacement 3GS battery? :)

X 2 on the battery

I see them on the bay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I did get it looked at. And sent back the same way. As I said..for such an expensive product...I expect more.

was it looked at by apple? as i have sent 3gs phones to them before and never got the same one back, they just sent out another refurbed iphone rather than send your actual phone back, in which case are you having the same issues with both the first phone and the second?
    The batteries are probably less than a year. Got phone replaced about August last year. Previous phone was a write off.

again are you having the same issues with both phones?

what issues happened with the previous one to make it a write off (as in were they the same reasons?

Advertisement