Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryobi Strimmer stopped working.

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was using my strimmer on the weekend and all was running fine for about 10/15 mins when all of a sudden it stopped and won't start again.

The spark plug is fine, took it out and tried it in another machine. There was old fuel in the strimmer (since last year), after it stopped I emptied it out and added new fuel but same result - maybe I need to clean out the carb etc?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

I've had similar experiences with a strimmer and a hedge clipper and a chainsaw.
    I came to the conclusion that with the price of petrol being so high of late they might be cutting it with something.
    I've got some old fuel that works fine!
    I tried to get a fire moving with some of this petrol by throwing it on - This is a dangerous activity and something "you should not try at home" - It just didn't burn explosively like petrol. Not even like diesel.
    You could try buying some branded petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All petrol that you buy now has alcohol mixed in to it.
    Over the winter the alcohol absorbs water and then the petrol evaporates leaving behind a kind of sludge.
    This usually blocks the carb jets so it won't start but in some cases the new petrol gets through and it will run for a while until the sludge in the carb dissolves in the new fuel and it blocks jets and pasageways inside.
    You may need a new diaphragm as the old one can crack over time as well.
    When laying things up for a while its best to empty the tank and start the engine and leave it to idle until the motor stops, this dries the carb so there is no old fuel left in it to cause trouble later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

Thanks CJ - I found this to be the most useful link on the subject of cutting petrol with ethanol in Ireland - http://www.ivvcc.ie/Ethanol%20in%20petrol.html

You will note that the calorific value of the fuel being sold has decreased yet we are informed that the car runs further on the mix! - Sounds about right for our government. (Always thinking of ways to spare our pockets).

It seems that whilst modern cars can handle "E fuel" because they use modern fuel injection - cars with traditional carburetors do not fair as well.

I also was looking at an English site recently and it seems that Husqvarna have now taken to selling their own ready mix fuel at about a fiver a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sido wrote: »
    I also was looking at an English site recently and it seems that Husqvarna have now taken to selling their own ready mix fuel at about a fiver a litre.
    Its sold here as well.
    Aspen is the brand name for the stuff thats sold here.
    It comes in two versions a 2% mix for 2 stroke stuff and a straight alkyl version for 4 t equipment, or for those that mix their own ratios.

Advertisement