Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant moving out

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am an owner occupier and have written here previously but this is for different advice.

I have aske the girl who rents a room in my home to move out after too many things were said. This was agreed last Thursday so she pays rent each Friday so is paid up to this Friday. On asking her to have the keys back with me by 9.30 on Friday or 1pm at the latest as i am going away for the weekend she said that she wouldn't have her stuff moved 6.30 she won't have the keys to her new place till then. Said she would put them through the letter box.

I would rather she didn't do that but at the moment I just want a quiet life after the aggro of the last week so was thinking of asking a friend to be there while she moves her stuff and get the key off her.

What I really want to know is , is she entitled to have the key until the Friday evening, or should she be returning them the Friday morning? ?She does have other places she could store the things she has if she started to pack now and not wait till Friday.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If she is paid up including Friday, she can have the keys till 11.59pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

She is paid up until Friday - included, so therefore she is entitled to hand the keys back at close of business on Friday

OP be a little less harsh, you have already posted about not wanting her BF there all the time, obviously you both fell out and now she is moving out she said she will be out by 6.30pm so leave it at that, you really should be there yourself if she was such a hassle to live with, however you can by all means leave a friend there if your dont think she will put the keys back in the letterbox

learns a lesson and next time have house rules on the wall before a person moves in, you have both behaved badly and this was they only outcome that was ever going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

She is entitled to drop back keys on friday evening, if i were you i would be there too

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

jimmydkid wrote: »
    She is entitled to drop back keys on friday evening, if i were you i would be there too

Unfortunately I can't be there and she knew that already. I think I'll have a friend there to get the keys just on the security side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

shoes34 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't be there and she knew that already...

given that you have accepted her money to stay in the place until COB/23.59 on Friday, thats your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

silja wrote: »
    If she is paid up including Friday, she can have the keys till 11.59pm.

She now wants them till Monday evening - but just had to say no, she can drop them off somewhere when she is finished.

I'm just drained from all the aggro of last week and trying to keep it civil this week, I did apologise for the way things ended not much more can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

She now wants them till Monday evening - but just had to say no, she can drop them off somewhere when she is finished.

I'm just drained from all the aggro of last week and trying to keep it civil this week, I did apologise for the way things ended not much more can be done.

Take care of you, OP. Please... these situations are hard work. And you are right to take the line re the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

It can be very stressfull when things don't work out, just keep calm when dealing with your tenant your priority is to get tenant moved on and get your keys back. If you cant be there yourself you need someone reliable to be there instead of you.

Advertisement