Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glyphosate question

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I want to kill gras and dig a bed where it was. If i use glyphosate can I turn over the sod or will i have to dump the sod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Glyphosate works by being absorbed by the plant and going down through the plant and kills the roots. It takes a while to be absorbed, at least a day without rain is needed, and results are obvious after a week. I had thought that it took 30 days for the weedkiller to break down into a nitrogen fertiliser, but this seems to be contradicted by:

http://www.roundup-garden.com/faqs.aspx

Roundup is only active in plants and is inactivated on contact with the soil. It is then broken down by soil micro organisms so that you can re-use the soil for re-planting. We recommend that you leave treated weeds for about 7 days before digging or cultivating the soil to allow Roundup to move to the roots of the weed.

I suppose that would be ok for a flower bed, but I would have concerns for a vegetable bed.

Advertisement