Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5" Pitched Pine Floorboards (New)

• 20-06-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

My original house has pitched pine floorbords from 1890's. My extension has carpet. I want to rip the carpet up and put down some pine floorboards so the old and the new interate more.

The pitchpine in the original part has been replace over the years as boards fell to time so its a bit of a mishmash, which is fine.

The reclaimed pitchpine is a bit too expensive. I believe its around 50 a sq yard? So thats 500 for the bedroom.

So, the quaetion is, where would I get some new pitch pine floorboards, 5" wide and with quite a few knots (to somewhat match the original)

Any suggestions on good suppliers. I'm in city centre. Also,c an I get these cut to a depth which I require, so that the florrs bords will flow into eacvh other without having to lay an underboard in the extension part.

Thanks,

Bob.

PS. I'm heading off to B&Q this weekend but maybe theres some suggestions which can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Have you tried Mac Salvage in Kilmainham, they always had pitch pine down there at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres 2 or 3 old type salvage shops ,on richmond street south,
    they have old doors, wood, planks, from old houses , from memory theres 2 on the left, one on the right .
    I was there about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

thanks for the replys. weird, im nearly sure i was down macsalavge few years back. the 50 euro a yard is a price i believe the victorian salvage company will be charging. ill do some foot work this weekend.

if anybody has any info on new boards (that will match the old) that would be great too!

Can you post pics of the floorboard s you have , i,ve got some old boards .I have no idea ,what they are made of , 40 years plus old.
    they have never been painted.
    i dont know what pitched means in regard to a floorboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

riclad wrote: »
    Can you post pics of the floorboard s you have , i,ve got some old boards .I have no idea ,what they are made of , 40 years plus old.
    they have never been painted.

Open to correction, but I seem to remember being told that very little pitch pine was used in the last 50 years or so. Deal took over. I was looking for some about 20 years ago for a restoration and could only get salvage due to old measurements.
    This might help you identify it:
    http://www.woodcomponents.ie/timbers/pitch_pine.html

http://www.google.ie/search?q=pitch+pine&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Fcp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_lPiT9CBBInEtAbK-aBw&ved=0CHkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=665

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

riclad wrote: »
    Pitch pine floorboards are named after the tree(s) they come from. A dense high-resin content board, it has good strength and lasting properties but usually has knots. Traditionally these boards were of a roughish finish as befits their harvest age, 100 -300 years ago.

my boards look like this,
    http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/44378/Victorian-pine-floorboards-6-3-4-inch_67049_1.jpg
    but in much better condition to pic,
    probably pine ,but not pitch pine.
    i have seen, old derelict houses ,where you could walk in and take the boards,ie before the boom there were houses abandoned ,empty in dublin.

ok, please belive me, im not trying to sell these chairs to you guys :)

but i have a photo of the actual floorboards which im trying to match to in this ad

thanks,

bob.

http://www.adverts.ie/furniture/two-1970-s-kitchen-chairs-f-b-paint/1764435?notification=4bbbc990f5f14cb2eb5440026c73cfdf-1339968542

i posted 4 close up pics of 1 floor board here,
    I just opened a new flikr account ,today,as i cant attach my phone to my pc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishriclad 4 pics are set to public.
    measured 1 board ,8.5 inch wide,
    I dont know if they are pine .might look better if they were cleaned.
    i used flikdroid app to upload to Flikr ,very easy to use.
    i notice my boards all have knots in them.

^thanks for the pictures.

i went down to mcsalvage and got some good info. all the old pitch pine boards are ususally 6.25 inch wide.

so my 5" boards are prob some replacement boards from the 60's/70's. I only have 5 original 6.25inch boards left upstairs. so basically any cheap 5" board will do as its all a mix-mash anyways.

prob have to go to a timber yard to get these cut to 5". B&Q off the rack boards are 4.25 inch.

Prices:

McSalcage

6.25" Reclaimed Proper Pitch Pine cleaned and sanded €40 per 12ft lenght (these looked the business)
    6.25" Reclaimed Pine cleaned and sanded €20 per 12ft lenght

B&Q

4.25" T&G Pine €11 per 12ft lenght (cheaper in a pack of 5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Go to a proper builders suppliers (not a diy store ala B&Q) and have a look at their deal t+g floor boards. Will be a lot cheaper than a diy store and probably the same as what you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I went to my local builders merchant and bought their red deal new boards. The merchants sorted out all the clean ones. I fitted them and just stained them, no sanding. I bought about 70sqm. The cost was reasonable. Can't remenber the price but so many cents a foot.

They did pine with knots which was cheaper and red deal. They havent warped, cupped or shrunk in the 18 months so well happy.

Try your local builders merchant.

Stove Fan:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Builders Providers for the win here.

Had to replace some floorboards myself before,and a few lengths of 20mm thick red deal boards from the builders providers did the trick nicely.

A tin of wood stain and you wont know the difference.

thanks for all the help.

bob!

Advertisement