Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Squad for World Cup Qualifiers

• 20-06-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

I just saw on Sky Sports News that Trapattoni just said several players are considering their international future.
    Duff? Keane? Given? Richard Dunne? Stephen Hunt? Keith Andrews?

These players are all over 30 and coming to the end of their career.
    Players may want to concentrate on the final years of their club careers.

My squad for the World Cup Qualifiers

Keiren Westwood
    Stephen Henderson
    Colin Doyle

Stephen Kelly
    Kevin Foley
    John O'Shea
    Seán St. Ledger
    Darren O'Dea
    Greg Cunningham
    Stephen Ward

Aiden McGeady
    Seamus Coleman
    James McCarthy
    Glenn Whelan
    Darron Gibson
    Keith Fahey
    James McClean
    Robbie Brady

John Walters
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Simon Cox

Also Marc Wilson and Ciaran Clark. I'm not sure however if you'd play him at rb, lb, cb or cm.

Who do you think will retire and who will come in to the fold replacing them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think Duff is a definite, now he got the 100 caps.

Also think Given, Dunne and Keane will be seriously considering it (or they should be). Keane should be retired if he doesn't do it voluntarily, as he isn't playing at a high enough level in LA.

Think Andrews will stick it out for another couple of years tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Usually big changes in an international squad only come with a new managerial set-up. Same manager = Same players. I see a few additions in the autumn but not the sweeping changes and additions that many seem to want/predict.

To answer your question, I see only Duff and Given being the only ones odds-on to retire. A lot of the other names seem to only be getting mentioned purely because of their age. Andrews for example, no way will he call it quits. He's a late-bloomer and I imagine he still wants to get as much international football as he can, while he can. Goes doubly so since he's a Trap favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Dunne needs to stay.No centre backs coming through.Duffy @ Everton?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

BOHtox wrote: »
    I just saw on Sky Sports News that Trapattoni just said several players are considering their international future.
    Duff? Keane? Given? Richard Dunne? Stephen Hunt? Keith Andrews?

These players are all over 30 and coming to the end of their career.
    Players may want to concentrate on the final years of their club careers.

Keiren Westwood
    Stephen Henderson
    Colin Doyle

Stephen Kelly
    Kevin Foley
    John O'Shea
    Seán St. Ledger
    Darren O'Dea
    Greg Cunningham
    Stephen Ward

Aiden McGeady
    Seamus Coleman
    James McCarthy
    Glenn Whelan
    Darron Gibson
    Keith Fahey
    James McClean
    Robbie Treacy

John Walters
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Simon Cox

Also Marc Wilson. I'm not sure however if you'd play him at rb, lb, cb or cm.

Who do you think will retire and who will come in to the fold replacing them?

are you Robbie Treacy? :D

I've no idea who he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think David Forde will be around in goals too. Maybe not No.1 choice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Jayob10 wrote: »

I've no idea who he is

I presume he means Keith Treacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Treacy

I presume he means Keith Treacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Treacy

or maybe Robbie Brady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The most likely to call it a day are Duff(33),Dunne(Almost 33),and Given(36).

The other older players O'Shea,Keane,Andrews,Hunt are 31/32,so Id say they will possibly hang on for a while.

It is like is was written for Duff to call it a day now having reached his 100 cap and with McClean coming through.Great servant,it seemed like only yesterday he was winning the Youths Euros with Brian Kerr.Where did the years go.He will be badly missed,as will Dunne and Given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Keiren Westwood
    Stephen Henderson
    Colin Doyle

Stephen Kelly
    Kevin Foley
    John O'Shea
    Shane Duffy?
    Marc Wilson
    Seán St. Ledger
    Darren O'Dea Clark (CB or LB)
    Greg Cunningham Aidy White (LB or LM)
    Stephen Ward

Aiden McGeady
    Seamus Coleman
    James McCarthy
    Glenn Whelan
    Darron Gibson
    Keith Fahey Stephen Ireland (Hopefully)
    James McClean
    Robbie Treacy James McClean
    Keith Andrews

John Walters
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Simon Cox

Give or take a few...

Keepers
    Shay Given, Kieron Westwood, David Forde

Defenders
    Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson, Greg Cunningham, Aidy White, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Sean St.Ledger, Ciaran Clark, Shane Duffy, Alex Pearce

Midfielders
    Aiden McGeady, Robbie Brady, Damien Duff, James McClean, David Meyler, Darron Gibson, James McCarthy, Stephen Ireland, Glen Whelan, Keith Andrews, Jeff Hendrick, Samir Carruthers, Wes Hoolohan, Chris McCann

Strikers
    Shane Long, Jonathan Walters, Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Anthony Stokes

Some players would not pull on the green shirt again regardless of excellent attitude. They just don't possess the quality required- Paul McShane, Stephen Ward, Darren O'Dea, Stephen Hunt, Andy Keogh, Paul Green.

First XI

Given

Coleman
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    White

Meyler
    Gibson
    McCarthy

Walters
    McClean

Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I've no idea who he is

Got robbie brady and keith treacy mixed up. meant to say brady

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Give or take a few...

I already have mcclean in there. you have him twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Greg Cunningham

Barely heard of him so had an oul wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Cunningham

"He also helped a certain Turkish-Armenian beauty immigrate to the United States"

Wha :pac:

Regards the list tbh theres a few lads there who havent had enough first team football for good teams to be given an international run out tbh.

Leon Best was in great form for Newcastle until he got injured. Six goals in ten starts....actually scratch that, a goal machine striker doesnt really fit the all powerful "system" does it :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Depending on how Joey O' Brien gets on with injuries this season, I think he'd be good enough to make the squad at least. He was pretty solid for us (albeit in the Championship) last season but did miss parts of the season through injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Do people have massive objections to Jermaine Pennant coming in? I know he's not the youngest, but he would add some depth to the squad on the wings.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Do people have massive objections to Jermaine Pennant coming in? I know he's not the youngest, but he would add some depth to the squad on the wings.

I know I'll get objections from the "win at all costs brigade" but I'd really like to put a stop to this 'plastic paddy' recruitment policy. I've no problem with players from other countries playing for us but if Pennant had genuinely been interested in playing for Ireland then he'd have easily got into our Under-21 setup at the time (as his 24 u21 caps for ENGLAND demonstrate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I know I'll get objections from the "win at all costs brigade" but I'd really like to put a stop to this 'plastic paddy' recruitment policy. I've no problem with players from other countries playing for us but if Pennant had genuinely been interested in playing for Ireland then he'd have easily got into our Under-21 setup at the time (as his 24 u21 caps for ENGLAND demonstrate).

I now its a bit different but McClean played U-21 for Northern Ireland, should we discount him as well? Houghton, Aldridge etc

All teams do it now, we dont even have a high horse to get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Alex Pearce should definitely get a look in. He has been very strong for Reading this season after Mills' departure. Good in the air and decent with the ball at his feet. Made to measure replacement for Richard Dunne.

The step up to Premiership level will be interesting, but I believe he has the class required.

Gibson is another who I believe will mature greatly this year, if given a good crack of the whip at Everton. Would make a good replacement for Whelan in the middle.

Upfront is a bit trickier. We have Doyle/Long/Walter/Cow who are all good players. However, I don't think we have a replacement goal machine relatively speaking!) á la Keane in his pomp. That will be a key area.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I now its a bit different but McClean played U-21 for Northern Ireland, should we discount him as well? Houghton, Aldridge etc

All teams do it now, we dont even have a high horse to get on

Everyone is doing it alright (or a lot of countries anyway), but I do think in certain cases it has become a joke (no more so than with the Rep.Ireland)

The whole Northern Ireland thing is a grey area of course and Aldridge & Houghton never played underage for Eng/Scot afaik so they would still be free to choose.

I'd even give a bit of leeway to fellas who might have represented a diff country at 15-18 etc but I think at 20-21 you're a big boy now and you should be locked down at that point to a nationality of your choosing (even tho as you've highlighted we'd lose McClean).

Whatever about the discussion above however, in the rather extreme case of Pennant , playing 24 times for England at a high level and then wanting to have a go for Ireland seems a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Sean Murray - a teenage midfielder with 7 goals in 17 for Watford in the Championship. Perhaps a bit young too yet, but if he keeps up that sort of rate he will be a serious candidate for the senior squad soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'd look at the likes of Mick McCarthy. Despite the strong Northern accent and the entirely English upbringing, long before he was a professional footballer his Irish heritage was front and centre of his upbringing. Aidan McGeady falls into this catagory too. I'd have no objection to the like sof Pennant and O'Hara if during thier upbringing they were aware of and had pride in thier Irish heritage. I know that is not necessarily a definable trait but surely if an FAI representative interviewed these guys it would be discernible.

for what it is worth any man who claims Irish heritage is ok by me. We as a nation shipped millions aborad for generations anyone is welcome to come bak, in what ever contxt to lay claim to this country as theirs and represent it. I've always respected Noel and Liam Gallagher for thier comments on Ireland, their fondness of Mayo and what is meant to their mother and as a consequence them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was impressed with Norwich's Pilkington during the season. Better option than cox anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

I have no issue with English/Anywhere players who want to play for Ireland and dont just want to play international football. James McClean could have played for the North and been a starring player for them but he chose to play for us (albeit because we are better). McGeady is a great example, Scotland youths said he couldnt play for the international team due to some school rule and Ireland gave him the chance, he wants to play for us now.

Pennant (and others) have come out and said they dont want to play for us yet because they are hoping to get picked for the England national team, I completely respect that but if he turns around and declares himself for Ireland in 2 years time because he isnt good enough to make then England team then he can stay over there. I want players who are proud to put on the jersey, thats what international football is.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Pearce & White have already represented Scotland/England and switched.

zztop wrote: »
    Pearce & White have already represented Scotland/England and switched.

White is a terrific young player and in time it will be shown that he is good enough to play for England.

Get him capped asap I say.

tolosenc wrote: »

I don't see any harm in capping a lad like Pennant. people talk about his lack of respect for the green shirt or whatever, but Irish management can cap him and dump him if he acts the boll*x

its win win really, he plays and he is successful then we have another option.

If he is disruptive then he won't get picked again, its as simple as that. Put it down as a failed experiment.

We have picked alot of wholehearted Irish lads on the back of having terrific attitude that simply are not good enough. I've no problem capping non-Irish players and making them part of our plans should they have more ability than what we have aswell as having commitment to the cause.

As a previous poster mentioned, Alex Pearce is going to be an interesting one. Genuinely interested in playing for us, has even got his documentation sorted in advance of a possible call up. Reading's player of the year and a sure thing to play premier league football next season.

Contrast that with Darren O'Dea who has currently got no club, and is really suspect in terms of having enough quality to play at championship level never mind international level. Despite having a fantastic attitude. Thats sounds extremely harsh but its the reality of it.

There are some lads in our plans who just don't cut it at international level, irish born and non irish born- McShane, Ward, O'Dea, S.Hunt, Green, Keogh to name a handful.

Replacing the above like for like with Coleman, White/Cunningham, Pearce/Duffy, McClean/Brady, McCarthy, Stokes and we are already vastly better off.

Players that are younger and quite simply have more quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

White is a terrific young player and in time it will be shown that he is good enough to play for England.

Get him capped asap I say.

20 seconds against Kazakhstan is all he needs. Call him up for the friendly games as well before just to make the deal a little sweeter for him, a much better player than Ward currently is and has (possibly) a huge future ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'd be anxious to see Conor Clifford and Conor Henderson starting to make some impact at club level - But I can't for the life of me see how they'll get the chance to do so at Chelsea and Arsenal though!

Please soemone take them on loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Surpised there was a few calls for Ireland to be included TBH.

If he does decide he wants to play again and Trap actually selects him for a squad, this forum may reach the highest infractions in any one day ever. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Certain players must be included going forward - Anthony Pilkington, Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy, Ciaran Clark, Marc Wilson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Henderson.

Certain players should get opportunities - Dave Meyler, Shane Duffy, Greg Cunningham, Alex Pearce.

Players currently in squad who should be far more heavily involved already/going forward - James McClean, Jon Walters, Shane Long, Darron Gibson, Stephen Kelly, Keiran Westwood.

Probability of all of this happening - Highly unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Certain players must be included going forward - Anthony Pilkington, Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy, Ciaran Clark, Marc Wilson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Henderson.

Certain players should get opportunities - Dave Meyler, Shane Duffy, Greg Cunningham, Alex Pearce.

Players currently in squad who should be far more heavily involved already/going forward - James McClean, Jon Walters, Shane Long, Darron Gibson, Stephen Kelly, Keiran Westwood.

Probability of all of this happening - Highly unlikely.

good post

probability of all that happening will increase if Trap is shown the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭celt262

I dont want to see Ward in a Ireland Jersey again anyway that though scares the ****e out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

will we still be playing 4-4-2 in the future ? I would like to see something else but that may only highlight our shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'd be anxious to see Conor Clifford and Conor Henderson starting to make some impact at club level - But I can't for the life of me see how they'll get the chance to do so at Chelsea and Arsenal though!

Please soemone take them on loan!

Henderson was in line for a shot at the first team the season just gone but got injured early and missed the lot of it. Assuming the injury didn't set him back too much, I think he'll at least get a shot. If he makes it or not is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Any players outside the UK that can play for Ireland and are decent? The Irish passport is a handy thing when you want to play in the EU, just look at all the South Americans on Spanish/Italian passports in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Given
    --Coleman
    O'Shea
    Dunne---Wilson----
    Fahey
    Gibson
    --McGeady
    Hoolahan
    McClean

Long

That's how I'd play it if I were manager. First XI anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Ward could still play with Ireland, however not at left back. He's got a pretty good left foot and is decent going forward. First time he ever played left back was at Wolves after all. There was quite a few worse or at least as bad as players in this Euro's for Ireland, our other full back for one.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think Ward could still play with Ireland, however not at left back. He's got a pretty good left foot and is decent going forward. First time he ever played left back was at Wolves after all. There was quite a few worse or at least as bad as players in this Euro's for Ireland, our other full back for one.

He's not good enough IMO. McGeady and McClean will always be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Ward's attitude is spot on but like a good few others he doesn't come anywhere close to having the required level of ability to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Where does Jamie O'Hara stand these days?

Near the centre circle, not doing much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement