Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Sorry UB isnt gonna pay my bills,put food on my table,and put petrol in my car let alone god forbid if gotta go to the doctur!!!!! Ive been working all weekend and again today so i cant access ,my money in the branch…..they think theyre gret opening an extra hoursbut in the realisic world we all dont get weekends off or bank holidays!!!! yesterday i couldnt even use my card to access what money i have left in my account or log onto my internet banking…My wages were due in thursday im still waiting..i hope they compensate every customer that has suffered and get a heafty fine on top of this....im raging grr!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

If this drags on for a few more days, people who are paid monthly will be pulled into it (their salaries should be processed on Thursday night).

My employer's with UB and token access to €500 won't cut it...what should I do pre Thursday / Friday - Plan to be paid nothing?
    Get a hard copy of a payslip from your employer.

I know that you can do that but is €500 the max that you can get?

I expect to get paid on Thursday. First thing Thursday morning, if my salary is not in my account, i will be heading into my Branch to request a temporary overdraft facility to cover all my direct debits etc which come out at month end.
    So have your payslip at the ready, explain to your employer you need a couple of hours to sort out your salary with the bank and start queuing at the branch on payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I know that you can do that but is €500 the max that you can get?

I think you can get the full amount if you go to the Bank Manager with a payslip but other people have had problems doing things that have been possible elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Folks can we try to be reasonable here...technology can and does fail and often through no fault of anyone's. Yes it's frustrating but getting on our high horses and being rude and snappy the frontline staff in banks and on the phones will not help.

Try to be patient and understand that the person on the phone/ at the till can only do so much. No-one is deliberatly keeping your money from you to hurt you and if you really that desperate for it then maybe they will be willing to help.

I hope for all our sakes this gets sorted soon and if you are struggling because of it than you have my sympathies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

End of the week, what's the situation with getting money out is the max 300? I am due to fly off on Sunday and it would be nice to have some spending money. But I really don't want to bring cash with me, rather use my card. The front line staff will take a hammering on this one, cause some people don't get the idea there at the bottom of the chain.

I still haven't got my pay from last week like most people, thankfully I had some cash to keep me ticking over but that's starting to dry up. What's going to be the out come of this? Some IT junior get the sack, we get compensated for this mess, will they make sure it won't happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Folks can we try to be reasonable here...technology can and does fail and often through no fault of anyone's. Yes it's frustrating but getting on our high horses and being rude and snappy the frontline staff in banks and on the phones will not help.

Try to be patient and understand that the person on the phone/ at the till can only do so much. No-one is deliberatly keeping your money from you to hurt you and if you really that desperate for it then maybe they will be willing to help.

I hope for all our sakes this gets sorted soon and if you are struggling because of it than you have my sympathies.

Yeah the poor call centre and bank branch staff are going to get the brunt of the aggro but not there fault. Fingers crossed for a quick resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KittyG

eigrod wrote: »
    Yep, same for me. My salary was due in last Thursday, but still not appearing in my account balance this morning. However, withdrawals from ATM are being reflected in my balance.

Same boat...don't understand how they can be taking money out if they can't lodge what we're due.

Rang PTSB this morning to inquire about opening an account there, girl said they'd been snowed by similar calls and requests from UB customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I expect to get paid on Thursday. First thing Thursday morning, if my salary is not in my account, i will be heading into my Branch to request a temporary overdraft facility to cover all my direct debits etc which come out at month end.

I wonder why Ulster Bank didn't automatically put a temporary, interest free, overdraft in place for all customers? It would have reduced the need to extend opening hours, and gone some way to making it look like they were taking steps to ease the burden on their customers.

Maybe there are system or legal issues (it would technically be offering unprompted credit, which is against the Central Bank code), but I hope it's something they at least considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Wondering if anyone can give me any info with regards to my payment/wage problems.

I'm due to be paid on Thursday. My wages aren't a set amount, because I don't work set hours, but I should be getting in or around the 700 mark. I'm with AIB, payments processed through UB AFAIK.

If I bring a payslip into AIB on Thursday, would they allow me an overdraft facility or something to take some money out? I'm extremely stuck at the moment. I've only heard of UB allowing customers access to money. Are the other banks doing this too? Getting very worried now. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

latest (updated 10am this morning) from ulster bank
    What is the situation with lodgements due to be made to my account?

Lodgements of cash or cheques made over our branch counters from Wednesday 20th June are receipted but are yet to be credited to customers' accounts and will be credited as we clear the backlog.

Electronic payments are being received into accounts but they are delayed. If your salary, pension or welfare payment was due to be paid into your account before Wednesday 20th, this will appear in your account balance today. If you were due to receive your salary via an electronic payment between Wednesday 20th and Monday 25th these may not yet be in your account. If you need access to cash please click here to find out how to access cash.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/service-update.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anyone know why this would be effecting manual in-branch transactions?

Withdrawals are fair enough if balances are still out of date, but branches can't even process lodgements or look at your account at all at present.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can give me any info with regards to my payment/wage problems.

I'm due to be paid on Thursday. My wages aren't a set amount, because I don't work set hours, but I should be getting in or around the 700 mark. I'm with AIB, payments processed through UB AFAIK.

If I bring a payslip into AIB on Thursday, would they allow me an overdraft facility or something to take some money out? I'm extremely stuck at the moment. I've only heard of UB allowing customers access to money. Are the other banks doing this too? Getting very worried now. :-/

I was due to be paid last thursday, went into the bank on friday evening with no payslip and expained to the staff that i get paid etc and they let me take money out. If you bring your payslip in they will give you some of the money out.

Overall I am worried that UB staff cant check your account on their systems tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Another update on The Register:

RBS collapse details revealed: Arrow points to defective part
    Software that caused cockup apparently run from India

Including an advert from a few months ago for the admin job of running RBS's CA-7 batches from India:

rbs_job_advert_hyderabad.png

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Islander13 wrote: »
    no it isn't, I think most reasonable people accept that its a genuine error that they are working to resolve as best they can. You are more likely to leave your wife/husband than your bank

This is a ridiculous statement. It is nearing a week of no access for many people to their own money. While the Irish may be slow to leave banks I suspect that is plenty incentive for most and is backed up by the poster saying PTSB have been snowed under with requests from new customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I was due to be paid last thursday, went into the bank on friday evening with no payslip and expained to the staff that i get paid etc and they let me take money out. If you bring your payslip in they will give you some of the money out.

Overall I am worried that UB staff cant check your account on their systems tho.

Thanks so much. I was really worried because I am seriously stuck as I get paid fortnightly and by Thursday, I won't have a cent as I don't earn enough to have much savings.

I'm just shocked that this is still going on, tbh. I get that they're trying to work through the backlog, but ffs, they should have staff working 24/7 to rectify this situation. They're leaving people seriously in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Does'nt seem to be much by way of contingency planning in RBS IT land

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Yes but it rarely fails with such disastrous results and such widespread impact on customers. Ulster Bank hiding behind the "won't someone please think of the frontline staff" won't cut it. They should have had backup systems and procedures in place but instead they seem to have been completely reliant on one system and had no procedure in place to deal with the IT and customer issues that would arise if an event such as this took place. Clearly there was no backup system to turn to so you have to wonder what would have happened if the building housing the servers burned down. Was the lack of a decent backup plan a result of cost cutting (I suspect we will never get the truth on that one). Frontline staff need to suck it up and take the anger of their customers. It isn't all sweetness and roses dealing with the public especially when the organisation that pays you to be its public face has screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭danois

This is getting beyond a joke now. I was 45 minutes wwaiting. Then they wouldnt accept my payslip as its an electronic paysslip I printed off they said its too easily tampered with. Luckily I had copies of my bank statements with me as further proof..

While I was in the que waiting on my wages I over heard 2 men behind me saying that its mad how its all manual now and speculating on what would happen if the place burned down. Wondering if that would mean there would be no proof of who took or lodged money what would happen then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I wonder why Ulster Bank didn't automatically put a temporary, interest free, overdraft in place for all customers? It would have reduced the need to extend opening hours, and gone some way to making it look like they were taking steps to ease the burden on their customers.

they would have to access the systems to be able to apply an overdraft.
    I dont believe they can access the systems
    also they cannot lodge money instantly,
    and they cannot check balances.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

So the €40 I withdrew at lunchtime today is showing up on Anytime Banking.

Unlike the salary that was supposed to be paid into my account last Friday...

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I know I'm one of the lucky ones that has access to funds that were already there before this happened, but it's still blood boiling to see withdrawals being put through so quickly and lodgements being so agonisingly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Like so many posters I'm fed up of the situation (now entering its 7th day) at this stage!!).

I rang UB's telephone service this morning. They couldn't tell me my balance and when I asked if they had any inkling as to when the crisis might be resolved, I got the very helpful reply of:

"how long is a piece of string" (twice I may add). Ridiculous.

Some customer service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

...it's still blood boiling to see withdrawals being put through so quickly and lodgements being so agonisingly slow.

Couldn't agree more NuMarvel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

danois wrote: »
    This is getting beyond a joke now. I was 45 minutes wwaiting. Then they wouldnt accept my payslip as its an electronic paysslip I printed off they said its too easily tampered with. Luckily I had copies of my bank statements with me as further proof..
    Can the bank not see your statements on screen?

I mean you or I can log onto online banking and view our statements; while our balances may not be up to date, I presume that tellers can still actually view your recent transactions prior to the outage?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

So the €40 I withdrew at lunchtime today is showing up on Anytime Banking.

I think part of the problem is that the lodgements which have been missed due to the f**k up with the systems are now being manually entered to the system, hence the delay, so although its infuriating to have money taken out but not put in I think it shows that at least some of the system is back up and running and that the delay on the most part is caused by the fact that manually entering payments is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I was just on anytime banking and the notice seems to have been removed, I assumed this would remain in place until this is sorted out ?
    My balance is still incorrect , transactions I made 8 days ago are not showing and a cheque I attempted to lodge last Thursday has not shown yet.
    I watched the news for Northern Ireland and they said that all accounts there should be up to date by tomorrow, so whats happening here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

2qk4u wrote: »
    I was just on anytime banking and the notice seems to have been removed, I assumed this would remain in place until this is sorted out ?
    My balance is still incorrect , transactions I made 8 days ago are not showing and a cheque I attempted to lodge last Thursday has not shown yet.
    I watched the news for Northern Ireland and they said that all accounts there should be up to date by tomorrow, so whats happening here ?

I just logged in and still getting the notice.
    And waiting for my salary that was due to be paid in friday, and my rent to go out that was due to be paid on thursday from my account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Well I've had a small improvement - one transfer has now appeared in my account and it was UB to UB, done on Friday and appeared at midnight. Still no sign of the cheque I lodged on Thursday though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I know I'm one of the lucky ones that has access to funds that were already there before this happened, but it's still blood boiling to see withdrawals being put through so quickly and lodgements being so agonisingly slow.

I'm in a similar position. Money in my account and elsewhere so not suffering, but I really feel for those who are.

Salary should have gone through last Friday, still no sign of it.
    Cash lodged this morning, still no sign of it.
    Cash withdrawn from an ATM yesterday, showed up instantly on Anytime.

Funny (not) the way that works.

Also has me thinking about a significant sum I have in an Ulster Bank SIDA - Special Interest Deposit Account. The branch have no access to these accounts under normal,circumstances as it is online operation only. I keep the money in this account so that I can acces it quickly if the need arises. It also pays good interest. It is now completely inaccessible. I probably won't move my accounts from Ulster anytime soon, but I will be moving at least 50% of the balance on this account. Probably to a Post Office Deposit Account Plus.

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. Money in my account and elsewhere so not suffering, but I really feel for those who are.

I don't know what happened to me last week, normally I'd be down to my last few euro a few days before pay day! I hope I'm not getting sensible in my old age :eek: :eek: :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement