Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Just pondering who's going to get all the interest the Ulster bank having held all of our money somewhere...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭danois

My mam was telling me that there was a spokesperson was on the radio from the financial ombudsman saying that they were not going to be doing any investigation because as of yet they have not recieved a single complaint so therefore it is presumed that ulster bank are dealing with the matter in a satisfactory way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

danois wrote: »
    My mam was telling me that there was a spokesperson was on the radio from the financial ombudsman saying that they were not going to be doing any investigation because as of yet they have not recieved a single complaint so therefore it is presumed that ulster bank are dealing with the matter in a satisfactory way.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that UB probably are dealing with the repercussions of the problem in a satisfactory way.

While I and others are inconvenienced by this issue, the problem is how this problem came to arise, not necessarily UB's response, which for all we know is the best they can do under the circumstances.

I do think the authorities should be looking at how the problem came to arise in the first place, both within UB and the NCBI, regardless of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

later12 wrote: »
    I do think the authorities should be looking at how the problem came to arise in the first place, both within UB and the NCBI, regardless of complaints.

and why, at least 3 times, they said it would fixed by a particular date, yet it wasn't.

and why it is taking so long to fix.

I don't think it needs individual customer complaints for them to investigate those 2 matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Kudos to my local branch of AIB. I was due to receive a standing order from an Ulster Bank account on Friday morning but it never came, so I went into the branch today and they gave it to me, they were great. They didn't have to give it to me as it wasn't a social welfare or salary payment, but I explained my position and they arranged for me to have the cash. Hope this resolves asap for the rest of the people who are waiting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some light relief amid the chaos - a lady in the UK called Natalie Westerman who uses the handle @NatWest on Twitter has been bombarded with complaints from people looking for their money...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164383/NatWest-glitch-Schoolteacher-Natalie-Westerman-bombarded-complaints-Twitter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

So do we know yet what the actual cause of the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eoinglancy

Went down to the bank at lunch time and asked them about payments that will
    be due on Thursday (on top of the one missed last Thursday) the teller told me that there is no guarantee that these monies will be paid. I was lead to believe that it is just the back log that has to be updated and the problem was fixed. There's a smell of hack off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Ulster Bank have said they won't apply the usual charges for overdraft on current accounts.

What about credit card accounts? I can't pay my credit card account because of not having enough in my current account. Will interest be charged on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

I phoned customer services a few times already and was given different information by the 3 people I spoke with. I was due to be paid today, one told me it would be in my account tomorrow, the 2nd person told me it would Thursday and the 3rd person said it could be friday or monday of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

eoinglancy wrote: »
    Went down to the bank at lunch time and asked them about payments that will
    be due on Thursday (on top of the one missed last Thursday) the teller told me that there is no guarantee that these monies will be paid. I was lead to believe that it is just the back log that has to be updated and the problem was fixed. There's a smell of hack off this.

Meaby it's a sign of bancruptcy??

m.kot wrote: »

no, sure they'll give you money if you have proof of regular payments to your account. Sounds like bad software or someone has hacked their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

m.kot wrote: »

There is no "bankruptcy" and I'd bet my bottom dollar (or Euro) that there is no "hack" either.

No need for paranoia when you can put something down to a simple failure. Often the most catastrophic failures emanate from a tiny, tiny fault.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    There is no "bankruptcy" and I'd bet my bottom dollar (or Euro) that there is no "hack" either.

No need for paranoia when you can put something down to a simple failure. Often the most catastrophic failures emanate from a tiny, tiny fault.

Ha ha, like the difference beteen a one and a zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RBS really need to have this moving in the right direction by the end of the week. And by moving in the right direction I don't mean more updates and apologies.

If it runs on into next week without any real sign of progress then they can kiss goodbye to a sizeable chunk (if not the majority) of their customers.

Yes, changing banks is a hassle, but it beats being left without any income.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

NuMarvel wrote: »
    So the €40 I withdrew at lunchtime today is showing up on Anytime Banking.

Unlike the salary that was supposed to be paid into my account last Friday...

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I know I'm one of the lucky ones that has access to funds that were already there before this happened, but it's still blood boiling to see withdrawals being put through so quickly and lodgements being so agonisingly slow.
    I noticed the exact same thing.. Monies I have withdrawn are showing up immediately , but my husbands salary last wed night has not appeared!!!

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'd bet my bottom dollar (or Euro) that there is no "hack" either.
    For a lot of UB customers who are literally down to their bottom dollar, I'm not sure that is much of a reassurance.

We simply don't know what the cause of the problem is as yet. While we might well cite lex parsimoniae in this case, the repeated assurances of "This is a technological outage, but I don't know enough about all that technology stuff to say any more <stupid grin>" by UB and Natwest spokesmen is starting to ware a little thin.

edit: that was a reference to any outside interference with UB's system; obviously a serious structural problem within the bank does not arise or would not manifest itself in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

maupat wrote: »
    Like so many posters I'm fed up of the situation (now entering its 7th day) at this stage!!).

I rang UB's telephone service this morning. They couldn't tell me my balance and when I asked if they had any inkling as to when the crisis might be resolved, I got the very helpful reply of:

"how long is a piece of string" (twice I may add). Ridiculous.

Some customer service!!

Ace customer service skills. I'd frog march that person to the door if I were in charge. Get out.

Yes, changing banks is a hassle, but it beats being left without any income.
    Is it though? I'm in the process of changing banks at the moment and as far as I can see, a lot of the work is being done by my new bank. I literally spent about 15 minutes meeting with our new bank's business relationship manager in AIB this morning and will be receiving our account details before the weekend, i.e. before UB settle this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Has anybody been successfully looked after?

Just rang them there. They're only starting to process transactions from last Thursday at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I transferred money in to my UB account on Friday. Showed up today. My mortgage was due to come out today and hasnt. Must ring them tomorrow if it still hasn't been taken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

bleg wrote: »
    Has anybody been successfully looked after?

Just rang them there. They're only starting to process transactions from last Thursday at the moment.

My SW payment was due in last wednesday, it showed up by Thursday. I only have one standing order set up at the moment, which i set up myself as UB messed up switching my account from AIB, so all other DD are going from my AIB account. The standing order with UB was due out today to pay my loan with the credit union - it hasn't been paid.

If they have supposedly fixed this "glitch" (as they like to call it) and are just processing the backlog why would a payment that was due out today get delayed? Surely all payments, incoming and outgoing, after their "fix" should go through ok and the backlog should only be payments that were due to be paid before they fixed the problem?

One of our suppliers finally received a payment to his (UB) account which had been sent last Friday whereas staff have still not received last weeks wages here.

Are all EFTs being treated the same? It seems as though (from anecdotal evidence, and from here) that some EFT payments (e.g online banking transfers) might be going through faster than others (e.g. direct deposit/debit payments)

chasm wrote: »
    If they have supposedly fixed this "glitch" (as they like to call it) and are just processing the backlog why would a payment that was due out today get delayed? Surely all payments, incoming and outgoing, after their "fix" should go through ok and the backlog should only be payments that were due to be paid before they fixed the problem?
    Presumably all payment clearing is delayed by the backlog of payments that have yet to be cleared, which in theory should diminish with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

later12 wrote: »
    Is it though? I'm in the process of changing banks at the moment and as far as I can see, a lot of the work is being done by my new bank. I literally spent about 15 minutes meeting with our new bank's business relationship manager in AIB this morning and will be receiving our account details before the weekend, i.e. before UB settle this issue.

Comeback to us in a month and let us know how you get:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78865222

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

So do we know yet what the actual cause of the problem is?

Plausible description here, consistent with a number of other stories on the net. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/25/how-natwest-it-meltdown?newsfeed=true The Register also have this.

There are also a number of stories going around about transactions having to be posted manually. I suspect that this may not be true, however what probably is happening is as follows:
    • Faulty jobs ran and failed, or worse part failed on Tuesday night
    • Next days jobs ran and also failed/part failed
    • Third day's jobs ran and failed/part failed
    • Fault fixed
    • Fourth day's jobs ran successfully.
    Now if this is the case, especially if some of the work from earlier nights stuck and some failed, then the task of replaying the missed transactions in the correct sequence, and without duplication/omission, is a task of nightmarish proportions. It would mean going through every scheduled job, of which there are thousands, determing whether it was successful, part successful or failed, and then either completing it or reversing it out and running it again. And every one of these needs to be done in the correct sequence.

This is consistent with their public pronouncements initially that the issues would be fixed quickly, and then, having realised the depth of the slurry they were standing in, the revised schedules they have published. The next few days will be very interesting. Taken together with the self inflicted IT/Management knowledge/experience drain that RBS have endured, they may be finding the task of sorting this to be at the limit of their capabilities. If its not finalised within the next 48 hours I suspect we will see a lot of external involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Some movement on account.

I have a standing order set up to transfer €40 weekly from one UB account to the other. It transferred last Wednesday June 20th. However it disappeared from my statement online.

Today it showed up as a lodgement to the account it moves to with todays date. So hopefully my SW payment which was due on Thursday will be paid in tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guys, this has appeared on the Daily Telegraph in the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/9354580/NatWest-customers-targeted-by-phishing-email-scam.html

Basically Natwest customers are getting phishing e-mails saying we have to rebuild out database send us all your details etc.

I imagine Ulster bank customers will be getting the same sort of cr*p

Be careful , and remember the usual rules of banking online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement