Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In an ideal world, banks would be running mirrored mainframe services which would prevent this type of scenario. Only the best and most enlightened banks (yes... They do exist) have these systems in place.
    RBS chose cost over quality.
    I have most of my accounts with UB but so far I am unaffected as i get paid monthly. I hope they have their house in order before next Monday so that i escape any effects.
    I want move from UB but I will definitely change my banking setup so that I am not fully reliant on any one bank in the future.
    I do not blame UB at all as they are entirely at the mercy of the parent company RBS who have created this mess through penny pinching and lack of proper Service Management and standards.

You are me, got an o2 money card today, setting up a savings account with another bank this week, almost willing to spend on a current account for the debit card.

However without taking down the link to the mirrored site, would the backed out change have been prevented from replicating across both?

When implementing changes across mirrored systems, the change would not be replicated until 100% signed off. In the event of a problem, they would swap over to the mirrored system and manually update any corrections needed in an hour or two with no notable impact to customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When implementing changes across mirrored systems, the change would not be replicated until 100% signed off. In the event of a problem, they would swap over to the mirrored system and manually update any corrections needed in an hour or two with no notable impact to customers.

That's where somebody really ****ed up and signed off.

You remember the McAfee XP Sp3 nightmare a few years ago?

Serious screwup for this to happen, and it had to be signed off at a senior level.

Unless and god forbid, it was seen as a low risk activity.

I can just imagine the scenario.... We have a low risk CA patch which has been tested by the vendor and on our Sandbox system, is it ok to put it through Monday night as a standard change? Ah sure that sounds fine, fire it through......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Alive063

So if just 10 million of RBS'S 17M customers did not get 500 in wages, that's half a billion in limbo every week! Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Alive063 wrote: »
    So if just 10 million of RBS'S 17M customers did not get 500 in wages, that's half a billion in limbo every week! Hmmm.

5 billion actually. One billion is one thousand million, 500 x 10,000,000 = 5000,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alive063

Alive063 wrote: »

5 billion actually. One billion is one thousand million, 500 x 10,000,000 = 5000,000,000.

Oh yes! My bad, so many zeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

I was just wondering if now that they have 'fixed' the glitch, is there a chance that we might see this week wages in before last weeks wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just checked my statement still showing only transactions til 20th june, ffs thats a week ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Does anyone know what will happen to transactions that are missed? My mortgage payment didn't show up (it is with AIB) and my salary isn't there either. In fact there is nothing on my account since last tuesday!

Will these go through once the problem is fixed, or should I contact AIB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Let me tell you another knock on effect this "crisis" is having. Every company that are due a payment from customers are being forced to wait - even by people who are not affected but are claiming to be.

I've heard of more than one case of people buying themselves time with phone bills...sky bills...all sorts really...just by mentioning the word Ulster...

This is a serious amount of money that is currently not being pumped back into the economy and the longer that it stays in limbo the worse things will get for this country. This is an economic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

For those of you who are saying its simple to get a wages cheque from employer. That may be so for small companies but I doubt the likes of the HSE would have the manpower to organise it at short notice for all their employees.

We are too late to cancel the wages run with my husband's employer this week. We could ask them for cash but from their point of view they have already paid him as the money has left their account.

What about our social welfare payments? Family Income Supplement & child benefit? Also too late to change them. You normally require at least 2 weeks notice.

Still nothing in the account & all our DD go out Friday. Wages & FIS due again tomorrow.

Also...when the dust settles with this..Ulster Bank will be on some retrieval mission. There are people who are withdrawing money from the banks now who don't have money on the way. There are also those that have been paid "good faith" money by Ulster Bank and then there wages go through and they withdraw them all before ulster have a chance to withdraw the good faith money.

It's gonna get even messier.

Well the OH was due to be paid by the HSE today and no sign of it. I am due to be paid on Friday but am not holding out too much hope ;(
    On the bright side we never trusted the direct debit malarky so most our bills are paid manually.
    If there is no money next week, I will bring the 5 kids, 2 cats and the dog into UB and demand they feed them and fill my car with diesel.

I was due to be paid on the 25th and it came through today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I know this is a very childish attitude to have, but its really starting to annoy me that this whole fiasco isnt being taken more seriously. There should be upror about it, but theres not really, apart from on here.

I understand its a technical issue and they are working as fast as they can, but it still doesnt feel good enough.Its been going on for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Was due to be paid on the 25th also, nothing for me though! :(

Spent the morning ringing around providers like o2, UPC, Gas etc - all very accomodating and dd's moved out to a time whereby the issue 'should' be fixed.

Have my mortgage with UB as well, it was due out yesterday. Rang them, the woman on the phone said that they had two systems, an old and a new one. The new one wasn't working at all I was told and she couldn't find any of my mortgage details. Woohoo - hope it's gone forever (I know, I know wishful thinking). So they haven't applied for any UB mortgages from UB customer accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I know this is a very childish attitude to have, but its really starting to annoy me that this whole fiasco isnt being taken more seriously. There should be upror about it, but theres not really, apart from on here.

I understand its a technical issue and they are working as fast as they can, but it still doesnt feel good enough.Its been going on for far too long.

I agree 100% about this, it's been relegated to page 3/4 of the main papers. The longer this goes on, more and more people are affected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

This is a load of BOLLOCKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Carssou

I am monthly paid so not a big impact yet for me. I observed moves on my account today I can't see much details on the mobile app so I can't see what it is. I haven't withdrawn money on an ATM and it looks I have more money than planed.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

A CHAPS/International payment that usually hits my account on a Wednesday arrived in my account today as normal, yet there is still no sign of my two payments that were due in my account last Thursday :confused:

I just transferred some money from my savings to my current account and it worked fine, then I moved it back and that was fine.

Dont really know if that means anything though. Just that the balance updated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I have an ulster bank account in northern ireland, and just had £20 transferred in, it hit straightaway? This was from an English bank account, not with UB...odd!

Maybe new transactions will go through, its just the payments from before the problem was fixed that are delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

Only outbound transactions to other banks. Inbound transactions to UB accounts are not happening.

Spoke to my account manager yesterday who assured be all credits are being applied to the accounts before any debits are made, to ensure the funds are there for the debits. Sounds logical yes? But yet she couldnt explain why over a thousand euro has been debited and only one day of card machine transactions credited when there is seven days still outstanding. "Must be an issue with streamline" was part of her EXCUSE.

This issue is slowly taking me to my knees. Im a young business on proforma invoice for most accounts. I cant pay for stock, my shelves are getting more bare and my customers will understandably go elsewhere.

F*%K YOU ULSTER BANK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm seriously about to explode!!

A week now and I really thought my Thursday payment would be in. Since yesterday there has been a direct debit and a standing order taken from my account, with the dates of June 21st on them.

At this stage this is gone beyond acceptable, and no half hearted apology is going to cut it. They have absolutely no concern how much they are inconveniencing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

aargh... still no salary..

BUT they have debited a 140 eur i took from atm 10 days ago again, date for withdrawal was 25.6, and i took the money out 15.6.2012

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bayou

If UB are working through the backlog in a logical manner, ie. oldest transactions will be dealt with first, then we're in for a long wait till normality sets in.

Lodgments I made last Wednesday, the first day the fiasco broke, have still not been credited and another one is due today.

I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

JABS wrote: »
    This issue is slowly taking me to my knees. Im a young business on proforma invoice for most accounts. I cant pay for stock, my shelves are getting more bare and my customers will understandably go elsewhere.
    This is the most worrying part of the whole debacle. For most, your mortgage will eventually be paid, the money will catch up with itself. But for a business, the longer this goes on the harder it gets to survive. No amount of apologies or refunded fees will reopen a business that has folded through lack of cash flow. We REALLY dont need to heap this kind of trouble on top of an already difficult trading year.

I sympathise with you JABS, its hard enough to run a business when your bank is functioning. This must be completely strangling you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement